android
Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Amazon Unbox?

I just bought Season 1 of the show Parks and Recreation (great show by the way) on Amazon Unbox, and I'm wondering if there is a way to get any of the episodes on my P3. I have it set to download the original file and a portable file, and the original file is an encrypted .WMV and the portable is some weird .AMZN format file. Does anyone know if there is a way to get these videos on my P3?
Samsung P3 32GB (current)
Phones: Generic Samsung things, JVC Marshmallows

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2009, 03:08 AM

According to samsung website, the p3 read wmv. So try with that one.
If not, you'll have to use some convetion software to get a divX or Xvid out of the wmv.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Wrong all around, EowynCarter.

Amazon Unbox requres the player to support DRM WMV, or playsforsure video. Finding info on whether it's supported is unfortunately a nightmare. Googling it doesn't give any quick confirmation, so I'd guess no. You can't just "convert" it as it's copy protected and can't be converted, so unfortunately you're out of luck.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:58 PM

DRM WMVs are not compatible on the P3 if I am not mistaken.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 AM

Yeah, I tried copying it to the P3 before I posted this thread and it said that it couldn't obtain the license, then just went back to the list of videos. And I can't convert it with Handbrake, because it just shows up as a gray box. Well, I guess I do have a whole first season of a show I like that I can watch whenever I want...

Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 AM

For some reason, i though amazon had sense enough not to put drm.... I should have know better.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Well, they have enough sense with their MP3s, I guess. I wish I would have known that I wouldn't be able to put it on the P3 before I bought the season. Oh well, I guess.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM

Lots of confusion and miss-information here so here goes:

1) The P3 is a plays for sure device when used with the EU, CAN, or US region code settings and MTP is used as the access method. Thus, DRM WMV is supported as long as you use MTP. To be redundant, Amazon Unbox works with the P3.

2) Amazon uses DRM for video only.

3) The .amzn extension is there to keep you from attempting to drag and drop the mobile file on the device. You are supposed to use the Amazon application to place the files on the device. Open the Amazon Unbox application and use you intution. Click on devices and it will provide the facilities to transfer the file to your device.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Alright, I'm trying to get that to work in Windows. Windows is constantly reminding me of why I don't use it. I'm virtualizing with it under Ubuntu, and I have the player connected via MTP. Ubuntu recognizes it and all, as does Windows. However, it keeps telling me the drivers for it failed to install and that I need to restart the thing to find that the device I just restarted for is still 'having problems.' And when it's having problems, it disables it by default, and enabling it simply tells me that it's enabled but still having problems. And disabling it asks me if I really want to do it, when Windows seems to be able to disable things all the time without a hitch. Guess I'm restarting it for the fifth time... >_<

Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Virtual machine enviroments and MTP don't mix (at least very well). You have all the information that I can provide since people have traditionally had spotty results dabbling in VM and MTP.

Just to be sure, have you tried this with Windows in a non-VM environment?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM

Not yet, but I was planning on it when I get home. How can I get the Amazon video transferred from my VM to the non-VM computer, though?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanimated View Post
Not yet, but I was planning on it when I get home. How can I get the Amazon video transferred from my VM to the non-VM computer, though?
From Amazon's Unbox help file:

Video Licenses
"Each video you purchase or rent comes with a limited number of licenses, which restricts the number of devices on which the video is viewable. Purchased videos can be downloaded to two different computers, and transfered to two portable (e.g., hand-held) video devices. Rental videos can be downloaded to one computer only and they can not be transferred to another computer. Additionally, rental video cannot be transferred to portable devices."

Releasing a Used License
"If you have already downloaded a video you have purchased to two different computers, and would like to watch it from a third computer, you must uninstall the Amazon Unbox application from one of the computers that currently contains the video. Uninstalling the application will delete ALL the videos you have downloaded to the computer and release the licenses for those videos, allowing them to be available for download on another computer. "

Making Backup Copies
"We recommend that you backup your Amazon Unbox files promptly after making a video purchase and completing a download. Amazon Unbox files can be copied to an external hard drive or a DVD or other removable media for the purpose of backup. Backups can then be restored using the Import function in the Amazon Unbox application. To locate where your Amazon Unbox files are stored, click on Help/Preferences in the application menu. The file location is listed in the "Video Folder Location" field. The default location for storing Amazon Unbox files is the "My Documents\My Videos\Amazon" folder. Each download may include two .wmv files (one main file containing the video and a preview file in the "Previews" folder) and a .amzn file (smaller format file optimized for mobile devices).
Please note: Amazon Unbox video files can only be viewed using the Amazon Unbox application. If you copy video files to a DVD or other media for the purpose of backup, the video will not be viewable using a DVD player or an application other than Amazon Unbox."

So basically, all you need to do is install the application on a new pc and import the files as long as you only have it active on one other machine. Alternatively, you download the videos again. It's not great but better than nothing.