android
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM

Unhappy ZVM is messing up song timings...Help!

When I drag and drop song files from my ZVM to my computer, the songs are all ten to fifteen seconds shorter than they ought to be. When I play them using WMP11 or Winamp the end of the songs are cut off and the next track in line plays. I've tested syncing songs from my sister's ZMosaic and it works fine, no probs.

This is going to be a problem when I buy a new mp3 player and have to sync all my music from my zen back to the computer and the whole library be shorter versions of the originals.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I don't know if this helps but the firmware is: 1.61.01 and I'm running on Vista, SP1

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
ABI Invaluable

Wow! I'm not sure at all where to go with this, as there are so many possibilities! However, the one that seems most likely is an encoder issue that the ZVM isn't liking. This can happen if the encoder used in the creation of the MP3 file does not properly write out the file format. The ZVM is not particularly fault-tolerant when it comes to corrupted media files. The best way to test for this is to locate an MP3 file from a completely different source (Amazon.com MP3 files work well, and they have a number of good freebies listed), sync it to your player, and see what happens.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Zen-

I tried the Amazon thing. I dragged and dropped a song I knew I bought from Amazon.com and now the track says it's 5:21 long, which is correct, however, when I play the song it just ends before the correct timing at like ten seconds before.

Ugh, LOL, it's really weird what's happening. The song plays fine through the player and through the one you use in creative media explorer. But something is going screwy during the transfer part/dragging and dropping part. It does seem as though the transfer is too quick it takes like three seconds and the green line doesn't even have a chance to get to the other side and it's already done.

Is there another way to take the songs off the player besides dragging and dropping or some sort of setting I can try to change?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
ABI Invaluable

Let me make sure I have this right:

You get a song that is a certain length, and it plays properly on your computer. However, when you sync the song to your player, and then play it on your player, then it is cut short, yes?

What happens if you transfer a song off your player back onto your computer, then play the song back on your computer?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Sorry if I'm confusing you. Let me break down the problem:

-I download a song. The song is 2:20 long. It plays to the end. No problem.

-I sync the song to Zen. I play in it on the Zen. It plays to the end. No problem.

-I plug the Zen back into the computer. Open up Creative Media Explorer. Play the song through Creative Media Explorer. It plays to the end. No problem.

-Then I drag and drop the same song from Zen back onto the computer. Now the song length is 2:10. Big problem.

Last edited by Chelly; 01-04-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
ABI Invaluable

Okay, since you are running Vista, there is no need to have Creative Media Explorer installed. You are much better off letting WMP11 manage syncing your player. However, now that you do have it installed, it's likely to have messed up your computer's configuration, so - if you have access to another computer that is running either Vista or Windows 7, then try plugging your player into that. Wait for your player to be recognized and for drivers to load. Then open your player as you would any removable flash drive, navigate to the \media\music subfolder, and attempt to play a song off your player. If it plays to the end, then the problem is definitely with Media Explorer on your computer, and you would likely be better off completely uninstalling it.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Zen thanx, I tried to run my Zen on the Windows 7 but it will not recognize the driver. And I don't think Creative offers a driver update for windows 7 on the ZVM. It's okay, I think I will just rip the 100 back-up cds I made back onto my computer. But thanks for all your help!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
ABI Invaluable

I just booted into Windows 7 (64-bit) to see for myself what would happen if I plugged my ZVM in. Windows recognized my player, loaded up the correct drivers, and presented me with a nice options panel allowing me to sync to WMP, browse my player's folders, and change settings. And that was without any Creative software whatsoever. So now I know for sure that Windows 7 natively supports the ZVM.

This means that, if it is not working properly on a Win7 installation, then it is down to a software conflict, or possibly a firmware issue on your player. So, assuming that you didn't put any Creative software on the Win7 computer before plugging in your player, then try booting it into Recovery Mode and performing a Disk Cleanup. This usually corrects issues with Windows not properly recognizing a ZVM. Be aware that Disk Cleanup will not usually mess with any of your media files unless it finds damaged files. Therefore, having backups is strongly recommended before doing a Disk Cleanup.