android
Old 12-28-2006, 03:48 PM

Default zen v not recognized

I bought my step-daughter a zen v for x-mas and everything worked fine for me (installing and downloading music). She wanted to use it at her dad's house to download some of her music and there she said it didn't want to connect. Sure enough, back at my place I get a message saying that the USB device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. I have tried reinstalling creative media explorer at home and even tried at work and I get the same message. In the device manager, it shows up as an unknown device. Not sure what she did at her father's house, but I am assuming that the message I got isn't good. Anyone else seen something like this as I am lost?

Thanx!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2006, 11:02 PM
ABI Invaluable

I don't know. It kinda sounds like the firmware in the player got corrupted. You can try to reinstall the firmware, but if the computer isn't recognizing the device, I'm not sure how well this will work.

You could try removing the "unknown device" from the Device Manager, unplug the Zen, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and see if Windows reloads the correct drivers. I'm not certain how well this will work.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanx Zenchick, that is kind of what I was thinking. I also know it is not the cable or computer because my ZVM works with the same cable and port.

I tried what you suggested and that gives me the same error so I am going to take it back this weekend and get a new one.