android
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Default Rockboxed Fuze crashes computer?

My dad has an 8GB Fuze (v1) that he uses when he's at work. He saw Rockbox on my e200 and he liked it and wanted me to put it on there for him. I downloaded the installer program that Rockbox came out with and tried to put in on, but it wouldn't let me because it couldn't find the .bin file. So i had to download a "fuzea" file from Here.
So i put that on there along with Rockbox build at it worked fine. Yes, I know it's unstable, but the player has no problems. But my dad tried to put it in his computer and it crashed it. He had to boot in recovery mode and almost didn't get it back up. He finally did and tried again, and now it won't boot up. It works fine on my computer. Any ideas?

He's running XP SP1 on a Gateway M675, I'm running XP SP3 on and ASUS EEEPc 1000HE. I have 2.0 USB and he still has 1..1 if it makes any difference.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The computer or the Sansa crashed?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
My dad has an 8GB Fuze (v1) that he uses when he's at work. He saw Rockbox on my e200 and he liked it and wanted me to put it on there for him. I downloaded the installer program that Rockbox came out with and tried to put in on, but it wouldn't let me because it couldn't find the .bin file. So i had to download a "fuzea" file from Here.
So i put that on there along with Rockbox build at it worked fine. Yes, I know it's unstable, but the player has no problems. But my dad tried to put it in his computer and it crashed it. He had to boot in recovery mode and almost didn't get it back up. He finally did and tried again, and now it won't boot up. It works fine on my computer. Any ideas?

He's running XP SP1 on a Gateway M675, I'm running XP SP3 on and ASUS EEEPc 1000HE. I have 2.0 USB and he still has 1..1 if it makes any difference.
This definitely smells like a USB problem here. Your dad needs to upgrade his WinXP to at least SP2 so go to M*crosoft and get the latest service pack. It would be nice if he had USB 2.0 ports although 1.1 should work fine, just slower. Keep in mind also that there is still no USB functionality yet for Rockbox on the Fuze. You can check it's status here...

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

Edit: I was just on the MS site and it says that if you are updating just 1 computer that you should NOT download the SP3 file from the download link given on the SP3 page. A smaller more appropriate file is available through Windows Update. So turn on Windows Update in WinXP and upgrade that way. Good luck!

Last edited by oobergeek; 01-20-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Saratoga: Computer. Fuze works great.

Oober: SP2 wont install for whatever reason on my mom's computer. It's the exact same one, got at the same stuff, and same version of XP installed. I have the CD and it said it didn't have some file it needed to modify. And my dad doens't want "all those updates". When he gets computers he wipes the hard drive and takes another XP CD and puts just the stuff he wants. I'm just the opposite, where I install everything (my 1000HE came with a recovery CD) then take off things I don't want like the Windows Antivirus. I can't do anything with his computer because I'm at school right now though...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Saratoga: Computer. Fuze works great.

Oober: SP2 wont install for whatever reason on my mom's computer. It's the exact same one, got at the same stuff, and same version of XP installed. I have the CD and it said it didn't have some file it needed to modify. And my dad doens't want "all those updates". When he gets computers he wipes the hard drive and takes another XP CD and puts just the stuff he wants. I'm just the opposite, where I install everything (my 1000HE came with a recovery CD) then take off things I don't want like the Windows Antivirus. I can't do anything with his computer because I'm at school right now though...
ok first thing...check your WinXP CD to see if it's not scratched or damaged in any way. Missing or corrupted files during installation can mean a bad CD not reading properly. Your CD burner/player working properly?.

As far as your DAD goes tell him that if he wants to use his Fuze on his computer he MUST upgrade to at least SP2. Period. End of story!. Otherwise he uses another (updated) computer. I know this from experience. I know your dad's feelings but there is a difference between having junk on your computer and updating your system so that it works properly.

I own a v1 Fuze, e260, e250, (all Rockboxed), Clip, and Clip+ and all are working great under WinXP SP3 and Win7 btw... Good luck!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM

If you're computer crashes when you plug in a USB device, something is wrong with it. I'd reinstall and then make sure to update everything.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Well, my dad has a copy of XP so it isn't "genuine". I don't like using it so luckily I have the recovery CD that came with my EEE. That may be why it isn't working properly. But as far as I know his computer won't even turn on.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Well, my dad has a copy of XP so it isn't "genuine". I don't like using it so luckily I have the recovery CD that came with my EEE. That may be why it isn't working properly. But as far as I know his computer won't even turn on.
Yes, your recovery CD is usually machine/BRAND specific, that's why it won't install on other computers. You need to get a vanilla (fresh) copy of WinXP. Sounds like your dad has bigger problems than just updating XP....

Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Haha agreed. But he's very unhappy because his computer won't even turn on and I was the one who put Rockbox in his Fuze. I'm not really sure what to do, but he has mentioned several times he wants to buy a genuine copy of 7. So maybe this won't be too bad.

Edit: So let me ask you this, Oober. If you use 7 and we do get it (I just checked my email and I got one from my mom asking which version would be best), which is best? Home Basic/Home Premium/etc?

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Theres no Rockbox USB mode on the Fuze, so if you plugged it in, you're actually just using the sandisk firmware.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM

That... is true Saratoga. That never even crossed my mind.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Haha agreed. But he's very unhappy because his computer won't even turn on and I was the one who put Rockbox in his Fuze. I'm not really sure what to do, but he has mentioned several times he wants to buy a genuine copy of 7. So maybe this won't be too bad.

Edit: So let me ask you this, Oober. If you use 7 and we do get it (I just checked my email and I got one from my mom asking which version would be best), which is best? Home Basic/Home Premium/etc?
Well which version depends on your computing needs. You can go to the MS site and check up on the different versions to decide. I would rule out Home Basic straight away...very feature limited. The version I settled on was the Professional Upgrade. Got it for half price when MS offered the deal if you pre ordered it last summer. Only difference between Pro and Ultimate version is Ultimate has multi-language support and data encryption. Where I live Ultimate sells for $349 now. Didn't think these added features justified the extra $200 cost. I bought the Win7 Pro Upgrade $119 (higher now I know).

I like Windows 7 alot. To me it's like a juiced WinXP. Very stable. No bugs, crashes, freezing etc. One surprising benefit is that Win7 is optimized for multiple processor systems. Since my system is quad-core when I installed it I noticed that my cpu temp actually dropped 3 degrees, then when I was running WinXP! And if you were to buy it just the fact that your copy was 'genuine' really gives you peace-of-mind?

Hope this helps Jabberwocky!

Tags
rockbox crashes computer