android
Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Zen Nomad Jukebox Xtra and Vista

A while back I installed the installation CD (Creative) that came with my 60GB ZVM onto my Vista laptop and it installed 100% etc and worked 100% as well. Anyhow when I also connected my 40GB Zen Xtra to my laptop via USB it started to search for drivers etc and actually installed them for the Zen Xtra, so this was no problem. This now meant that both my ZVM and Zen Xtra would work and connect to the Vista laptop.

Anyhow 2 weeks ago I re-formatted and reinstalled Vista back on the laptop and also re installed the same ZVM software, drivers etc. I did recognise my ZVM infact both of them (60GB and 30GB) but when I connected my Zen Xtra it started to search for drivers, could not find them than asked me to install the drivers from a location (i.e CD, HDD etc)

Cant understand what I have done wrong ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For what it's worth, you did not need to install anything for your ZVM, particularly if you are comfortable with using WMP11. Vista comes with native support for MTP devices such as the ZVM. Installing the Creative software may have actually caused a conflict between Creative's MTP driver and Vista's driver. There is a special patch for Creative Media Explorer available for Vista, if you wish to remain with Creative's software.

As for your Xtra, I am assuming it already has the PlaysForSure firmware installed, since there is no support for the older pre-MTP protocols in Vista. If so, then it is likely suffering the same conflict affecting your ZVM. Applying the Media Explorer patch may fix this.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
For what it's worth, you did not need to install anything for your ZVM, particularly if you are comfortable with using WMP11. Vista comes with native support for MTP devices such as the ZVM. Installing the Creative software may have actually caused a conflict between Creative's MTP driver and Vista's driver. There is a special patch for Creative Media Explorer available for Vista, if you wish to remain with Creative's software.

As for your Xtra, I am assuming it already has the PlaysForSure firmware installed, since there is no support for the older pre-MTP protocols in Vista. If so, then it is likely suffering the same conflict affecting your ZVM. Applying the Media Explorer patch may fix this.
Quote:
The reason why I did install the ZVM CD Software is because I prefer to use Creative Media Source Organizer with my Zens, which helps me to create Playlists and organise my Music, I use Media Monkey for my other players.
Quote:
Vista comes with native support for MTP devices such as the ZVM
Are you referring to drivers here ?

Quote:
As for your Xtra, I am assuming it already has the PlaysForSure firmware installed
No and to be very honest here I have never needed to install it, it has and did work with my Vista after I installed the CD/Driver software for my ZVM, infact I can really remember installing the driver for it, because I think the driver from the ZVM CD I installed or the Creative Software CD worked with it, than again I could be wrong.

Quote:
Applying the Media Explorer patch may fix this.
Where do I get this ?

I did go to the Creative Website and downloaded the XP Drivers to install on my new Win 7 laptop (not sure if this would work) but when I was asked to connect the Zen to the laptop, got no response, just did not recognise it.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinoni View Post
Are you referring to drivers here ?
Yes.

Quote:
No and to be very honest here I have never needed to install it, it has and did work with my Vista after I installed the CD/Driver software for my ZVM, infact I can really remember installing the driver for it, because I think the driver from the ZVM CD I installed or the Creative Software CD worked with it, than again I could be wrong.
Wait. I'm confused now. Are you saying that you installed ZVM software on your Vista machine and it made your Xtra work on Vista?

Can you please tell me what firmware version you are running on your Xtra?

Quote:
Where do I get this ?
You can find the update for Media Explorer here. Be aware this is for Media Explorer only, not for Nomad Explorer. I am not aware of any patches for Nomad Explorer.

Quote:
I did go to the Creative Website and downloaded the XP Drivers to install on my new Win 7 laptop (not sure if this would work) but when I was asked to connect the Zen to the laptop, got no response, just did not recognise it.
Which Zen are we talking about here?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Yes.

Wait. I'm confused now. Are you saying that you installed ZVM software on your Vista machine and it made your Xtra work on Vista?

Can you please tell me what firmware version you are running on your Xtra?

You can find the update for Media Explorer here. Be aware this is for Media Explorer only, not for Nomad Explorer. I am not aware of any patches for Nomad Explorer.

Which Zen are we talking about here?
Hi Zen Chick, now to answer your Q's the best I can:

1. When I got my 60GB ZVM I installed the CD Software that came with it, this means the drivers and the default Creative software, I cant quote you a 100% but I am sure after installing this software the Zen Nomad Juke Box Xtra did work and I could transfer music to it, Vista even installed the drivers to it when I connected it. I cant recall installing any of the software that came with my Zen Xtra apart from the ZVM 60GB one

2.I will have a look at Media Explorer, would Nomad Explorer have the drivers you reckon ?

3. re firmware version, I will check for you and post back and let you know. But I think its version 1.0 something, I know I have never ever updated its firmware.