android
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM

Default Macintosh Compatibility?

My Creative Zen 4 GB recently broke (back button stopped working), so I've been thinking about upgrading to the Zen X-Fi2, at least, until the consumer version of the Zii comes out. (I hope it does) I have a Mac, so obviously, I have people telling me to just get an iPod, but I listened to one and almost died. The sound quality was not to my liking, to put it nicely.

Does anyone know if the X-Fi2 works on a Mac? I know that Creative players have mostly been MTP, and my last Zen was. (I had XNJB for Mac compatibility) Creative's page

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/ZenXFi2/

says that Mac users can just drag and drop using the MSC capability. (Go to product info/the sound of perfection) Is this true? Has anyone tried it? I've looked in forums and I can't find anything regarding it. Also, what is the artwork resolution? Does it still accept 500x500 as album artwork? The 16 GB is selling for $120 on Amazon, and comes with the EP-630s, so I want to get it. (What's with the 1-2 MONTH ship out schedule, though?!) And I've been hearing about random shutoffs and stuff, although I never had WSOD problems or anything with my old Zen...Maybe I'll get lucky.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 PM

It will for sure work with a Mac since XFi2 is a MSC player. There isn't even an option to enable MTP on it.

$120 looks like a steal! I can't say about the 1-2 month shipping since I'm not from US but I got it from Amazon USA site early december (via a friend of mine in US) she got it shipped within 4 days I paid $190 incl. of taxes for it as far as I remember for the 16 gig one.

Regarding random shut offs it don't happen that much I haven't experienced any for the past 2 weeks. I just suppose the latest firmware is buggy & it debugs itself automatically or something like that.

Artworks off 500x500 are supported...I have 1 album with that resolution it displays it perfectly. (P.Diddy - Press Play)

All in all I would recommend this player to you without a hitch all the said problems are minor & don't hinder the players performance/stability in any way.

You can check my thread here for an in-depth view

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=50456

Hope all this helped you!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks! Heh, bet you take back what you said about no one with a Mac getting this player, huh? I'm planning on ordering this player tomorrow. I liked my old Zen, so hopefully this will be better. Low res screen sucks, though. You had me worried because your initial impressions of the player seemed so negative! But then it got better.

All of my artwork is tied into the ID3 tag, so I should be okay in the artwork department. I won't ever use TV out, so that shouldn't be a problem either. I wonder of you can update the firmware on a Mac, though. That worries me. Also, I wonder if it will play videos I converted for my old Zen. (320x240) The decreased battery life you noted probably came from the X-Fi enhancements, since they are active even on videos. I've never heard X-Fi, so I'm skeptical, but who knows? Maybe I'll end up using it. I'll make sure to use a stylus on the screen. (Screen protector time!)

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Ohh! Don't think off my article in a negative way. Granted I admit I wasn't at all pleased at first...I guess it just needed to sink in.

It's very good too see someone owning a Mac willing to try out other brand MP3 Player not stereotyping or anything but rarely get to see that! hehe.

Regarding your questions -

The low resolution is & should be off no worry. It's just perfect compared to the competition. S9, Zune,P3 have 480x272 res. one's. So it's just short off a little pixels. Believe me you won't notice that much on a 3 inch screen.

The color support is kinda bad at 262k but then again nothing serious unless you look closely for faults.

Update should work on the Mac. It's just a Self-Executable file..I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Your videos converted for your ZEN will play Perfectly fine if they're in XViD or Divx 5.

Mpeg1 & 2 isn't supported by this player. I think the ZEN supported those I might be wrong.

X-Fi isn't a downer...look out for my X-Fi impressions in my thread. I'll post those soon.

Battery isn't drained like big time with X-Fi, if it's at 40%. I haven't checked it fully with X-Fi at 100% but it should be 1-2 hours deduction give or take, nothing major.

Stylus is recommended if you have problems...if you are able to control it via fingers then great. I can control it through fingers/1 hand. My left thumb/hand now!

Hope that answers your questions. If you need anymore help don't hesitate I'd be glad to help!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 AM

The price went up on Amazon. Oh well...$140 is still a good deal for the 16 GB. The firmware updates are .exe files, which Macs can't open, I don't think. According to Creative's website, you have to update using a Windows. Ugh. Time to get a Windows computer. (I hate Macs, but my mom is a graphic designer and loves them, so...) All of my old Zen videos are encoded with Xvid in an .avi container, so I think they'd be okay. Do you know whether the X-Fi2 will get more app support? Or are they saving it all for the Zii?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Oh well sorry for that. I've never used a Mac other than the iTouch/iPhone/iTunes. So I don't know much there.

I was just generalizing kinda lame Mac's won't open .exe files? Oh well forget that.

You could use BootCamp is it? & Boot Windows on a Mac & update it off.

Your old video encoded would be perfectly fine! No worries there.

Shoot I payed almost $180 US for my 16 giger so you're lucky hehe. Still it's worth it no doubt.

Regarding app. support, that's hard to tell. You never know with Creative I guess.

Saving up for the Zii? I don't think so they're advertising Zii as an "OEM" based device rather than their own then again CES is almost on they might announce something over there if they don't then Zii will remain "OEM" only 75% that's what I think.

Check out the Applications/Development sub-forum on here. Our expert programmers are no slouches! A couple off games are hosted by them & they're highly addictive & lots of fun. Boink & TicTacToe are my favorites.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=50306

Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Well, I placed my order on Amazon on Monday, so we'll see...when I actually get it...Estimated arrival date: February 3-March 1! Either it's backordered, or it's really unpopular and nobody orders it...(Hopefully, it's not the latter) A new firmware release today? Ugh. Well maybe mine will have it. My mac doesn't have Boot Camp, so that's not an option. Ooh! games, cool! I wonder if I'll be able to transfer them to the Zen, though. Hmm...I've been wondering if it would've been better for me to get a Samsung P3, but after looking around, I saw that it didn't have an SD card slot or anything, so I decided to skip it. Plus, it's expensive. Hmm...How fussy are the video formats? (I used a script to convert my old Zen vids whenever I could get to a Windows computer) Encoding a vid at 320x240 probably wouldn't be best for the X-Fi2, would it?

One last question for now...Why do you think Creative kept the accelerometer under wraps? (Maybe because they weren't finished actually programming the Zen before it was released and couldn't reveal the accelerometer without it looking stupid?) Do you think any apps will be released that take advantage of it? According to epizenter, Creative opened up an X-Fi2 software design contest in China, but I wonder what will become of it.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Well you should've tried on NewEgg they had it for $149 last week now its back to $179 the price at which I bought.

Strange really. I suppose they didn't ship that many players & hence the shortage of stock. No one wants them could hardly be the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855102067

If you can cancel your order on Amazon then do it I guess & wait for the price to come down on Newegg it should most probably come down.

Either way you have to wait...so better off waiting until it's In-Stock on Amazon.

Or You got some dough to burn then order it right-away from Newegg.

I myself considered the P3 but backed out....I had an offer to sell the player still do...so I'm kinda so-so but 95% I won't be selling mine & going with the P3. I'm just a flicky flicky guy so one day I love it then I hate it lol

Xvid will play perfectly fine you shouldn't worry. I've re-encoded the videos I've downloaded only coz they have .AC3 audio the resolution I keep it at 480x272 for them.

If you wanna re-encode then pick that resolution or the players native one. Your choice.

The Games won't work on the ZEN don't think so.

Regarding the Accelerometer, well can't say much on that. Maybe they just wanted to send out a positive vibe from now on, saying that we support our products now & don't abandon them ala their Sound Cards Driver fiasco for Vista.

Apps as I said just depends you can't think much on that. First & foremost I see it as a music/video player. Apps are just added bonus for me.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Yeah...I found one used on Amazon for $120, but the seller's only rating is negative, although it appears to be from an ignorant customer. I'm gonna ask for pics or something so I can see it though. I meant to ask if the games could be transferred to the X-Fi2 by just dragging and dropping. (Not the original ZEN; I know they wouldn't work there) If I put a 320x240 video on the X-Fi2, would it have black bars and not fill the screen, or would it blow up and pixelate?

Yeah, I heard about the Vista fiasco...Caused a lot of backlash, didn't it? Creative didn't handle it too well. It appears that Creative is going to be adding more support for the X-Fi2 coders, since they're releasing the Developer's Kit. (Hopefully in English soon) We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your help! (I've asked you so many questions and you've answered them all!)

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Well I wouldn't touch a used product, the only used products I'd consider buying are computer processors & hard-disks.

If it was refurbished then it was a different matter.

320x240 videos will appear with black bars on the sides. You can fit them to screen by pressing fit to screen icon at the top right.

It honestly doesn't make much difference it's noticeable but hardly if your videos are encoded at a higher bitrate.

My old 320x240 vids were encoded at 480kbps for the Xvid, I have it same for 480x272 resolution. It's hardly noticeable.

My recommendation would be to cancel the pre-order & wait for it to arrive In-Stock on Amazon. Meanwhile you can subscribe to the price alert feature on NewEgg.

Anyway that's just me coz I see no point in pre-ordering products. Rest is upto you.

Applications are pure Drag N' Drop. So no need to worry about that.

Vista fiasco honestly I didn't have any problem with their cards, I just used drivers coming to me from Windows Update the only drivers I download from a manufacturer are for the Graphics Card. Rest I just let Windows Update find'em.

It's good to see Creative moving to a more open-source kind off enviroment. Releasing SDK's etc. The proof lies that this player is MSC & their player have a long history off being MTP only.

No need to thank me, I'm glad to help. :-)

Last edited by skybluedream; 01-08-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM

It came a couple of days ago!!! It came with firmware version 1.11.01, so I should be fine for a while. A couple of questions, though. Is it strange to have a discrepancy in how many MB the computer says is free and how many the ZEN actually says? (Not sure exactly what it is, but it's pretty big, like 300 MB...) Also, how do you rearrange the icons on the home screen? Or can you?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Is it strange to have a discrepancy in how many MB the computer says is free and how many the ZEN actually says?
If the X-Fi2 shows less then it could be reserving a small space for some type of page file.

Quote:
how do you rearrange the icons on the home screen?
Press firmly on the icon you want to move, then drag it to the position you want to move it to (without lifting your finger).

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood
Dark Lord

Old 01-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Thank you! I know how to move the icons now. Actually, the computer reports less free space than the ZEN, but it's only 200 MB (checked this morning), so it won't worry me unless the discrepancy gets bigger. Another question...How do you get the radio to work? Whenever I try to open it, it says that the headphones are not connected, even though they are. I've tried different sets, and the headphones work fine for other music playback on the ZEN, just not the radio. It's strange.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 AM

the space discrepency is because of dishonesty in advertising

an advertising megabyte: 1,000,000 bytes

an actual megabyte: 1,024,000 bytes