That looks pretty sweet!

Still hunting for purple LEDs...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 PM

thanks for the tutorial! i used it to put green lights on it...looks awesome

Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM

what is the voltage specifications for the leds

Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 PM

how do you set the menu theme to red????

Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 AM

Great hack, i'll test it when my warranty will be outdated
White LEDS would be soooo cool !

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frause View Post
I just put in som yellow LEDs, scavenged from the keypad of an old Siemens cellphone in my e280.

Your's was just too beautiful, I had to do it!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
all right i grabbed my calipers tonight and did some measuring for everyone out there (including myself, i want my wheel purple) anyway according to my calipers (which were way more expensive than any of my sansa's) and this spec sheet http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/old/LEDsizesSMD.html they are 1206's. I hope this helps someone out.
Did you ever get your wheel purple?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 AM

I have a newer sansa than in the first post and when i open my sansa i cant remove the scroll wheel and the black button.
how to manage this?

OK, ive done it. just put a screwdriver beneath the button then beneath the wheel and forced them out.. be careful!

PS:
Can I - a noob - paint the LEDs with a marker in another colour to have the same effect?

>>Windows.razor Proper Vista fake four your Sansa e200!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyers77 View Post
Your's was just too beautiful, I had to do it!

Sorry for the OT, but anyone know which WPS sybers77 is using above? It looks familiar, but I couldn't find anything like it in the Rockbox galleries

EDIT: Hold up -- Looks like it's the Cabbie theme modified to be blue and white. I still don't see any ready-made versions like that anywhere, but at least I've identified the source.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM

It must be a modified Cabbie. Looks like Cabbie (1).. or theres a new Cabbie 3 release. Anyway, the Cabbi2-WPS looks different than this.

>>Windows.razor Proper Vista fake four your Sansa e200!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 AM

Awesome guide. I am not talented enough to do such things and I would not risk my Sansa frause, your yellow LEDs are looking damned cute. Uhhhm, a green scroll wheel sounds nice...

Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlow View Post
Awesome guide. I am not talented enough to do such things and I would not risk my Sansa frause, your yellow LEDs are looking damned cute. Uhhhm, a green scroll wheel sounds nice...
practice, but not on your player ... then go for it

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 PM

Hey there, I did mine because I had just gotten a view(60$ factory refurb). I used 0603s and a 1206(with some 30awg) for extra brightness(red) =). It worked fine looks awesome but alas will be stored away as the first mp3 player I ever owned.

After having it for 2-3 years, always in my pocket, i would say its in terrific shape!

Last edited by hiddel; 12-02-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typos

Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 PM

I want to do this SO BAD, but I don't have a soldering gun, much less soldering skills. Please, PLEASE, tell me how to practice this. Although I am getting a second e200 soon, and I guess I could. Also, has anyone done 4 different colors? Like Leave one blue, one green, one yellow, and one red? That would be quite epic!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatechess View Post
I want to do this SO BAD, but I don't have a soldering gun, much less soldering skills. Please, PLEASE, tell me how to practice this. Although I am getting a second e200 soon, and I guess I could. Also, has anyone done 4 different colors? Like Leave one blue, one green, one yellow, and one red? That would be quite epic!
Well, it is possible and I did do a multicolor led mod myself(see post above yours). But you have to understand that Surface Mounted Devices are generally VERY small, the leds used in small electronics are no exception. Even to someone who is used to handling a soldering iron this can seem like an impossible task, capable only by a robot.

It require a steady hand, some experience and the knowledge that you may very well ruin a device that costs into the hundreds. I wouldnt suggest trying to do this unless you have a desire to get into soldering electronics as a hobby, simply because it will end up costing you about as much as a refurbished player just to do this.

If you ARE considering electronic modifications as a hobby i suggest you use youtube to find out what you will need, how to care and maintain your equipment and find some techniques.

The small 'thing' just bellow and to the right of the dime on this image is the led you will be dealing with in a sansa e200. As you can see it is quite small. In order to take the old leds out i first got a ball of molten solder on the tip of my iron(was using a 25 watt) then i placed it on the leds, making sure to hit both pads, then lifted the old leds off and deposited them on my sponge. Then to put them back on i put some fresh solder on the pads VERY CAREFULLY. Then i placed the led on the PCB and lightly put my iron on the pre-soldered pads. Doing this will drag the tiny led onto the pad, then depress the led with my forceps as i removed the iron to prevent it from sticking to the iron. Then hit the other contact point and youre done. Turn it on to see if the connection is complete.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 PM

I bought the leds and gave this a try but failed.... that was a while ago on a player with no screen, so i'm ready to try it again with another broken player. I have the leds, the soldering gun, and the skills (practiced alot) but I need somone to confirm whether the little line on the new leds is the + or minus.
Btw, for anyone else doing this, I bought 1206 LEDS and they are a little too big... just to warn you.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 AM

The flat side is the positive the side with the nub is the ground.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 AM

I'm back! A friend had me change his leds to white---a really BRIGHT white. While I had it taken apart I took a picture of it so you can see what your gonna be messing with.

(the circled SMDs are the LEDs youll be changing, although this is taken post op so they are whites)

Good luck to anyone attempting!

Last edited by hiddel; 12-29-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM

heres one with greens!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Anyone parting with an e280 with the LED hack?