android
Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Video Metadata question

I'm currently going through all my videos on the Zune software, and need to know whether the information entered about the videos is stored within the file, or in a database-type file somewhere else?

I've checked a file that I've entered metadata on, and it doesn't have the information in the 'Details' section in the file properties, which leads me to believe it's the latter.

Also, when editing the video's metadata, does it change the file at all? I have some stuff that must be kept exactly as-is, but I would like it display the metadata.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM

I have extracted some header files in the past using a program called atomicparsley and in the past, it did add information to the file. I have no idea if it does it with the new software (be wary). The information added is similar to wmv tag information.

Zune metadata has never shown up for me in the file properties using XP

You could test a file yourself using atomic parsley.

Here is a link for atomicparsley's website: LINK
Here is a thread I posted that may have useful info about the metadata LINK
You don't have to fight the monster, at first you can run away. Later on you can blind it causing it to fall off the balcony. When the opportunity arrives, push it off the bridge. If you have time, you can even put the beast out of its misery.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for that hawkshot, I'll give it a shot, and report back

edit: Just done some poking around in the file's metadata. I couldn't get AtomicParsley to work, so I used MediaInfo.
From the looks of things, it doesn't actually add anything to the video's properties. The 'date modified' in the properties confirms this.
Anybody got any more info on this?

Last edited by Shadows1990; 01-28-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows1990 View Post
Thanks for that hawkshot, I'll give it a shot, and report back

edit: Just done some poking around in the file's metadata. I couldn't get AtomicParsley to work, so I used MediaInfo.
From the looks of things, it doesn't actually add anything to the video's properties. The 'date modified' in the properties confirms this.
Anybody got any more info on this?
Hey, I just joined the forum and saw your question. I have used the Zune software to change the info (metadata?) of many videos, have taken them out of the collection and moved them to an external drive, then when I want them back I move them back into the collection, and all of the information is still there that I had edited within the software.

However, I haven't found any software that actually shows that information (such as what type of video: music; description, etc.). Media Info doesn't. So I'm not sure exactly where it is stored, but maybe this information will be of help to you, it seems that it must have gone with the file because it was no longer in my collection when I moved it out. And I have since upgraded to the new software and even ran the collection reset tool before I put it back in my collection.