android
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Having 4 podcasts on a player isn't hard to deal with. If there are hundreds of them though, there needs to be a good way to manage them, and keep track of which podcasts in each series have been played, and which are in the middle of being played.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Having 4 podcasts on a player isn't hard to deal with. If there are hundreds of them though, there needs to be a good way to manage them, and keep track of which podcasts in each series have been played, and which are in the middle of being played.
I've never had more than 10 built up that I hadn't listened to yet, so I can't fathom hundreds on a player. And I've never been one to go listen to a different one before finishing the one I am currently listening to. I might pause the one I am listening to, if I have a phone call, or if something else comes up, but I'll always go back to that one before starting a different one.

Of course, having multiple players comes in handy too. I generally keep the Sony just music, since it has twice the capacity of my Q2. But if the Q2 was to go away, and I had a second Sony in it's place, I could still get by just fine.

You have to admit, you have a somewhat unique set of listening habits, with all your podcasts and lectures, with some music in there here and there.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Hi all, quick question:

I have been reading that people cannot operate the player while it is hooked up to a PC for charging. This doesn't bug me. My question is: Can you operate the player while it is hooked up to a 3rd party car charger?

I have a car charger that runs a USB cable out to whatever device you're using. I was planning to just use a regular old mini USB cable and hook the E345 to it. To your knowledge, will the player still play when it is connected to a NON-computer power source? I always charge my players while driving - I don't see the need to run down the battery when I have a power source right nearby.

If not, that would be a SERIOUS drawback for me and might result in a return

Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know about a car charger.....I have no car. But it will play hooked up to an AC wall charger, if that helps....

Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't know about a car charger.....I have no car. But it will play hooked up to an AC wall charger, if that helps....
That helps a lot. My understanding is that it should be exactly the same thing (car vs. wall charger) since it is only a power source, not a data source.

This puts my mind at ease, because I'm pretty much going to use this only while driving (over the speakers, not headphones ). Thanks!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

Hey guys, I posted this same question over on the Headphones thread, but thought I would try here also..

I recently just got the Sony NWZ-E345, and now I'm looking to get a better set of headphones...Now I've narrowed it down to the Sony MDR-XB40EX extra bass headphones and the MDR-EX300LP superior studio sound headphones...

I've read great reviews for both, but for some reason, there aren't many reviews or info about the EX300LP's...I love my bass, but my main concern with the XB40EX's is that it may have too much bass...like I said, I love my bass as I primarily listen to R&B, but not so much so where it will drown out and distort the mids and the highs and clarity of the music...

I don't want to buy online so I will be buying local, so I'm looking at both these as my budget is under $80...the EX300LP's are $65 at my Walmart and the XB40EX's are I think $60 at my local Radio Shack...

So my question is which ones would you guys suggest as the best ones between the two for this model of Sony walkman with the best overall audio quality without overpowering base? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey JC32:

I own an E345. Opinions on headphones vary wildly and are probably the most subjective, personal thing about mp3 players. While there can be general consensus on whether one brand/model of mp3 player sounds a little better/different than another, there really is no equivalent for headphones.

Having said that, in my short time here at abi [and as a non-headphone expert], there do appear to be some general agreement about some of the higher rated headphones available.

Have you seen this thread? Excellent info here!
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243

And from another source, more great info to possibly confuse you!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...1-10-a-453836/

Like I said, I am no headphone expert, but I do like to think I have some slightly discriminating taste. And I certainly have not tried either of the Sony models you are looking at.

However, I recently purchased a pair of little known but very well-reviewed Maximo iMetal 590 headphones and I have been amazed at the clarity, quality and balanced sound from these puppies - through my E345 they sound fantastic, noticeably better than my decent Creative EP630 and Senn CX300s. I am not a bass-head either - I prefer what I think is an even soundstage where the bass is punchy, present and not muddled and certainly doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs as I listen to a lot of instrumental guitar stuff. I really love and am so impressed with the i590s. But do the due diligence and google them for reviews yourself. I am hoping they get reviewed by the good folks here on abi if possible to see if I am crazy or if they agree these are a good purchase, worthy of consideration.

Best part is the Maximo's are a steal at $40.00USD from Amazon - an amazing value considering the build quality, sound, design and included accessories IMO.

But like I said, just because I love em doesn't mean that you will.

just my 2cents and good luck with your decision...!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

EX300s are better in my estimation. They're what the new A series ship with and seem to be the same as my ex500s but without the aluminium.

The other XB40EX don't look good, to me at least. The ex500s I have are better than the premium bundled phones that come with the X and older S series by a long way...better than Senn cx300s and lower end Shures and I imagine the ex300s to be the same.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 03-10-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Just an FYI, if anyone's looking for a deal on this model, I bought a 16GB model at a Sony Outlet Store (you usually find them in the Outlet Malls outside major cities...I found this one in Aurora, IL) for $49.

That's right. A 16GB Walkman for $49.

It's on sale there until May 8th.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordalo View Post
Just an FYI, if anyone's looking for a deal on this model, I bought a 16GB model at a Sony Outlet Store (you usually find them in the Outlet Malls outside major cities...I found this one in Aurora, IL) for $49.

That's right. A 16GB Walkman for $49.

It's on sale there until May 8th.
You lucky son of a........that's a great price, congrats!

Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM

I was planning on buying the E345, but I just have one question. I see people have been saying you cannot make playlists, but is this just on the device itself?

Am I able to make them on my computer, then transfer them onto the player, or does the player not support them at all?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konektion View Post
Am I able to make them on my computer, then transfer them onto the player, or does the player not support them at all?
Yes you can create playlists, but only using the MTP protocol. So you must connect your Sony to the PC to create them.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Meetooman is correct as usual! :-)

Sony E does not have any capacity to create playlists on the device itself. One must use an external app.

I have 100% success on all my Win XP SP2 machines using Winamp to copy music and create playlists on my Sony E via MTP - however, some folks have reported some issues with getting it to work for some reason.

MediaMonkey is also quite good and several members have great success managing there Sony devices using it.

Other music management apps should also work well with the Sony - check here for a great, fairly recent ABi review of a few of them:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...re-roundup.php

cheers and good luck!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 PM

That's great news! Because for me really, I have no problem at all doing my playlists on the pc before hand.

So anyway, I ended buying the 16gig for 99$CAD at futureshop, it's funny I ended up with Sony, because the last music player I bought was the Walkman that had a tape deck Haha how old school?

So far, like everyone has said, I have had 0 problems doing everything with Winamp, maybe it's cause I have been using the program since it's early days, but either way I'm not too tech savy and so far I'm very happy with my purchase.

The only reason I decided on buying an mp3 player, was well for one I've never owned one (recently been using my phone as one, and of course, sound quality and volume is shit) and second I'm going on a cruise in 4 days and I knew an mp3 player is a must.

I havent really tested the video, but from the demo it seems ok, not that I would watch anything for more then 5 mins on it, sure my eyes would not appreciate it. The reason I got the 16gig was my music collection is well over that.

Haven't tested it too much, but so far it seems like the sound quality is perfect and exactly what I expected.

All in all (so far... lol) I have no regrets buying this device!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM

BTW, I forgot to mention...

I use Ubuntu, and the player connects, transfers and works just fine with a non-Win OS. Even the playlists I made work fine!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@ Mordalo.... sweeeeet! Thanks for the confirmation...this will be great for our alternative OS friends

@ Konetion: so sorry this is late, but I missed your post. Enjoy that E! So glad Winamp working for you - I do push it for users of the E because I think it really is seamless....the best possible under generally not so good MTP protocol.

cheers guys!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordalo View Post
BTW, I forgot to mention...

I use Ubuntu, and the player connects, transfers and works just fine with a non-Win OS. Even the playlists I made work fine!
How do you make the playlists?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Hi !

I have a problem here, im on a mac, i drag my mp3 files on the music folder of the E345, but all my artwork are not show, i have some but not all, how can i fix that ?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 AM

A good dock for my NWZ-E345? I'm going on a cruise in late October and would like to get a decent dock for my Walkman. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Terceslil:

Not aware of any E345 specific docks - You mean like a dock with speakers? Or a charging dock?

The USA E345 Sony uses a standard USB connector, so any mini USB wall charger will do.

While no speaker specific docks I know of, you can use any dock that has a standard mini 3.5mm headphone male jack or any other way you can connect the Sony using the headphone out.

SOrry for minimal help...enjoy the cruise.
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies