android
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Zen Xtra Firmware Update - Windows 7

I can't get the 'update' button on the firmware update software (on my PC) to unghost.

I'm using drivers straight from the creative site - I've got Win7 but have installed the drivers, and am trying to use the update, in Windows XP SP2 compatibility, have installed the drivers and restarted my machine, opened the FW update in administrator mode (checking is running in XP compat.) and nothing...

I tried using the original firmware (as PlaysForSure has come into question on this board I see, and says it's for XP only) but this won't work. I even tried using P4S to see if it was different but no.

I even have a laptop running XP SP3 that won't unghost it - is there really nothing I could do other than finding a PC running XP SP2???

Someone in another post said they'd got the drivers working in windows 7 by running in XP SP2 compat mode and running as administrator, but maybe it's not that easy for the firmware updates? Any help at all would be appreciated...

Thanks, Lewis.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 AM

I think your stuck in the same boat as me, and to be honest I dont think that the Zen Xtra will work with Win 7 (cross my fingers and hope it will) BTW did you have any luck connecting the Xtra to your Win 7 PC and if so, how? When I connected mine and also installed the XP drivers etc it still did not recognise it, so far the only Zen I can get to work is the ZVM but not the Zen Xtra or the Touch.

Funny thing is when I had Vista previously dont know how the heck I did this but I managed to get the ZVM, Zen Xtra and the Zen Touch to work perfectly. Than after I did a format and re-installed Vista the only one that would work was the ZVM, like I said I am not sure how the hell I managed to get all to work with Vista previosuly.

But now 7 is a total new ball game.

I am just hoping when MS brings out the service packs for it it will work.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 PM

It connects and recognises it as the Zen Xtra, even before I installed the drivers, but shows only 20mb space (would this be onboard memory?). Never used Vista so no idea about that.

There must be a way to rig it to work, I can't figure out why it won't even do anything when run with XP SP2 compatibility

Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisP View Post
It connects and recognises it as the Zen Xtra, even before I installed the drivers, but shows only 20mb space (would this be onboard memory?). Never used Vista so no idea about that.

There must be a way to rig it to work, I can't figure out why it won't even do anything when run with XP SP2 compatibility
Ok strange, mind if I ask which drivers did you use and what software did you install for it to recognise it, funny thing is when I connect mine, it connects and Windows says "Searching for drivers etc, aftr 10secs it stops and asks me to install the drivers etc. I really want to get mine back on track again, but just not having luck

Questions:

1. Did you ever format the HDD in this player, because with this player the
firmware in actually stored on the HDD and this is what will detemine
your full HDD size. Once its formatted and the firmware is lost, you will
only get a low reading of 20 or so MB

2. To re-install the new firmware, you will need to connect it back onto a XP PC this time running MP 9 (I think or 10)

Let me know how you go.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 AM

I've been through about 4 HDDs in this device (don't bother putting in a 100GB one, they're too delicate - I spent about 2 days painstakingly copying all my music across for the thing to bloody die 3 days later, luckily it was still in warranty!)

This most recent one - as I've had the device out of action for over a year now - was taken out of an old laptop so probably still has those old files on. I formatted from the 'BIOS' screen of the player but no it doesn't have the FW.

It automatically got picked up in Win7 as the Zen Xtra (and on my XP machine after I'd told it to search for the drivers)

I've seen the XP machine needs to be SP2 to reinstall firmware but I don't know of anyone that has this anymore! Might have to reinstall Windows on my XP machine and get in before it updates! (It's blank anyway, I'm trying to sell it so no biggie)

Anyone know if I can then copy the raw firmware files from the HDD and copy across should I ever need to do it again???

Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The 20MB you see is the size of the firmware partition. The rest of the drive is not exposed to the computer until there is firmware loaded and running on the player, as the Xtra is not an MSC device (like thumb drives or external hard drives are), so any filesystem exposure is done through the firmware.

It surprises me quite a lot that Windows 7 picked up and correctly identified your Xtra. I wonder if it will continue to do so after you load the firmware and either the NJB or MTP (depending on firmware version loaded) protocols kick in.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
The 20MB you see is the size of the firmware partition. The rest of the drive is not exposed to the computer until there is firmware loaded and running on the player, as the Xtra is not an MSC device (like thumb drives or external hard drives are), so any filesystem exposure is done through the firmware.

It surprises me quite a lot that Windows 7 picked up and correctly identified your Xtra. I wonder if it will continue to do so after you load the firmware and either the NJB or MTP (depending on firmware version loaded) protocols kick in.
Yeh I realy wish that it would pick up both my Zen Touch and Zen Xtra but it does detect it but wont load the drivers for them, upsetting