android
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Newbie question : how to install P3 Firmware

I can see you guys are very knowledgeable but my questions are very basic. How do I install a firmware upgrade (v 2.18 or v 2.20?) when I run Vista.

(1)

The Samsung website shows how to install firmware upgades when running XP and it simply says "...cut and paste the extracted files to the path: My Computer\yp-**\internal storage..."

However in Vista this path does not exist. Instead I see P3\internal storage but Vista will not let me paste the firmware upgrade file "Ypp3.bin" to this location. I can paste it into "system" but this does not seem to result in the firmware being updated, so I guess it is the wrong location.

(2)

Tthe YP-P3 is allegedly able to handle WMV format video files and, indeed, the unit comes with a sample WMV video of excellent quality "sheep in the island".

However my YP-P3 does not, apart from the sheep in the island file, seem to be WMV compatible.

For example, if I put a WMV video dircetly into the unit, (cut& paste via Windows explorer) I get a message Not a recognised fomat. Alternativeley if I try to use Emodio to load a WMV video onto the YP-P3 it automatically converts the WMV video to a low-res svi format. Am I missing something ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Not inside System, but alongside System, Audio, Video etc. When next you power up the P3 the upgrade will start. After upgrading all wmvs, mp4s etc should play without issue.

Make sure the P3 is in MSC(UMS) mode for any transferring, also.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 AM

Thank you.

I do not understand what "between" means.

I am unable to paste the firmware upgrade into the path P3\internal storage - should that be possible please ?

Alternatively, I can paste it into P3\internal storage\X (where X is system, sound, video or any existing sub-folder or one I should create).

Do you reckon my YP-P3 is faulty ?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 AM

Go on your P3 and hit Settings / System / PC Connection

Change to UMS.

Your computer will now recognize it as a USB Storage Device and you should be able to paste it without any problems.

If you prefer it as it was before, it's easy enough to change back after you've upgraded the firmware.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Thanks for your helpful comments guys. The firmware upgrage file refuses to paste into internal storage. This problem plus others with the YP-P3, namely:
  • it is not WMV compatible (i.e. will not accept my WMV videos).
  • Samsung have not responded to my plea for help.
  • There are no inststructions on how to use the unit with BBC iplayer (this is mentioned on the box and would be a great feature here in the UK) either in the user manual or on the web site.
  • In my opinion, the Samsung's video display and the sound quality (MP3 and video) did not match that of my previous unit, a Creative Zen Xi-fi (which I lost). For video, this may be because the Samsung unit / Emodo, insisted on converting (only those that it could) WMV videos into SVI.
Anyway, all this meant that today I returned it for an agreed full refund, via Amazon. All in all, if it does not work first (second or third) time I get dissatisfied.

So please ignore my earlier questions and can I ask you guys instead :

What MP3/MP4 player (if any) is good, reliable, works easily and has good compatibility. I am thinking of trying the Sony X series, I know nothing of Cowan, Archos seems great but they are too big for me. Alternatively, I may just forget videos and go with say a Phillips Spark (MP3 and FM radio only).

I want an easy life. Just keeping my 3 PCs running Vista and XP is enough "tekkiness" for me.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Dragonbottles - Just seen your reply - great solution but sorry I just posted off the YP-P3 for the refund. What MP3/4 unit woould you recommend ?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headache5678 View Post
Thanks for your helpful comments guys. The firmware upgrage file refuses to paste into internal storage. This problem plus others with the YP-P3, namely:
  • it is not WMV compatible (i.e. will not accept my WMV videos).
  • Samsung have not responded to my plea for help.
  • There are no inststructions on how to use the unit with BBC iplayer (this is mentioned on the box and would be a great feature here in the UK) either in the user manual or on the web site.
  • In my opinion, the Samsung's video display and the sound quality (MP3 and video) did not match that of my previous unit, a Creative Zen Xi-fi (which I lost). For video, this may be because the Samsung unit / Emodo, insisted on converting (only those that it could) WMV videos into SVI.
Anyway, all this meant that today I returned it for an agreed full refund, via Amazon. All in all, if it does not work first (second or third) time I get dissatisfied.

So please ignore my earlier questions and can I ask you guys instead :

What MP3/MP4 player (if any) is good, reliable, works easily and has good compatibility. I am thinking of trying the Sony X series, I know nothing of Cowan, Archos seems great but they are too big for me. Alternatively, I may just forget videos and go with say a Phillips Spark (MP3 and FM radio only).

I want an easy life. Just keeping my 3 PCs running Vista and XP is enough "tekkiness" for me.

Any comments would be much appreciated.
Did you change it to UMS mode? Windows Vista messes with some of the files when you paste it over in PMT mode - this could be why your WMV files won't work. Change to UMS and paste them over again.

EDIT: I'd recommend you get another P3 :| Otherwise, if you don't want another one, get the Cowon S9.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Banned

You shouldn't have had any issue in UMS mode.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 AM

Default YP-P3 v YP-R1

Thanks again guys, your comments were appercaited. With my refund from the YP-P3 16GB I bought a YP-R1 and it is, for my purposes so much better. I am delighted. I thought I would stay with Samsung give partly, your comments and you guys seems to know so much more than Samsung. Anyway, I found:

- The YP-R1 worked straight from the box.
- The touch screen was more responsive.
- The volume control is discrete, you do not have to tap the screen.
- The firmware updated easily but I do not know how. Could it have worked automatically as I upadted the Emodo software.
- Whilst "Native" (i.e. unconverted) WMV videos load onto the YP-R1, they would not play and the error message "Unable to play" (aka Not a Recognized Format) appears. So I converted the videos into MV4/H.264 and they work perfectly. Interestingly, I note that the sample video ("Shell on an Island" or somesuch title) is in AVI format on the YP-R1 but is was, allegedly in WMV format on the YP-P3.
- The sound is clearer and better.
- My YP-P3 problems may have occurred because the units x 2 sold to me were old stock with a DEC08 Firmware loaded.

Downsides:
- must be a shorter duration between battery recharging but as I will use the YP-R1 primarily as a music player that will be fine.
- the screen is smaller.

I am very happy.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your R1.