android
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLoke View Post
layout pic here

the bottom left up-arrow indicates capital letters. press the arrow and all the letters changes to capital letters;

" ' " changes to "/"
"," changes to "+"
"." changes to "-"
"?" changes to "!"

press the arrow again and all changes back to small capital letters and also back to ' , . ?

AB button represents the different language input (not needed i suppose)

1* represents all the numbers and special symbols. i suggest u could do away with the AB button and separate numbers and special characters.

a space bar icon, followed by a enter button.

back space button on the top right. the left and right arrow at the location is the cursor mover.

i hope this helps.
Your link is broken, atleast it is for me, maybe you meant this one (hmmm, weird, now your link leads to the correct page...)? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_I4D-2UIKgXc/SrKmAXZbjoI/AAAAAAAAH1o/hW__A-rejNE/s400/Nokia+Java+Runtime+2.0+for+S60.jpg

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 AM

yea i fixed the link hopefully

u can read ur small sized e-books by pasting them into the data.lua. open and paste using notepad. reads only english.

u can edit them in the player, but ur computer cannot read what the player has saved.

@brett: hope u do not mind if i play around with ur code. i will see what i can improve. will try to improve the keyboard and maybe include the accelerometer function for orientation reading. i have not touch lua programming before, so i may take a very long time to edit the codes

Last edited by JJLoke; 02-15-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM

I deleted the white background from your icon, added a little shadow (unfortunatly, you can't see it XD).
Attached Images
File Type: png icon.png (3.4 KB, 155 views)

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idroy View Post
I deleted the white background from your icon, added a little shadow (unfortunatly, you can't see it XD).
That was thoughtful ^^ But the next version won't use that icon, it'll use a custom made one from me where I have done everything from scratch. Brett didn't want to use an image he had found on google, he preferred to have a unique one, so I provided and he liked it.

Can't say for certain he will use it until he does though =P
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
That was thoughtful ^^ But the next version won't use that icon, it'll use a custom made one from me where I have done everything from scratch. Brett didn't want to use an image he had found on google, he preferred to have a unique one, so I provided and he liked it.

Can't say for certain he will use it until he does though =P
lol XD, nevermind my icon then

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
layout pic here
Thanks for the effort, but it looks like there is not much room left for the text.. I'd rather have the special characteres and such on another page which will come up with the press of a button.

Quote:
u can read ur small sized e-books by pasting them into the data.lua. open and paste using notepad. reads only english.

u can edit them in the player, but ur computer cannot read what the player has saved.

@brett: hope u do not mind if i play around with ur code. i will see what i can improve. will try to improve the keyboard and maybe include the accelerometer function for orientation reading. i have not touch lua programming before, so i may take a very long time to edit the codes
That's right, the player saves it in an unreadable format.
BUT, that will change in next update, it stays readable as a regular text file now I guess it has something to do with saving text as strings instead of characters. Not sure though, could be just a mistake on my part...

And no, I don't mind at all if you play around with the code. I'm not a programmer, I only know some HTML.. I got all the LUA stuff from this forum and from other users' codes as well. Besides, I don't think you can learn much from my code because it's pretty much a mess

I also thought of including accelerometer functions, but I'm not sure if it's useful to read text in portrait mode, because the viewable space from left to right would be very limited..

Quote:
I appreciate that, but I'll be using Habhome's icon, it's custom made from real photos, very cool and unique So I'll do my best to make a nice app with it.

I've changed the keyboard a bit, attached are three screenshots of it.. The screenshots are all black, but I'm going to make it so that the user can decide which color combinations (themes) are on display.
I can't upload it yet because I'm having some issues with the cursor (in combination with the functions backspace and enter). I'm very tired right now so I hope tomorrow I can have a fresh look at it and fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_notepad2.jpg (19.9 KB, 38 views)

Old 02-17-2010, 09:20 PM

perhaps the cursor u can borrow the function from Zap's code

the keyboard icon looks cool though. an added menu icon for other stuff is a good idea, but the script will be longggg....

Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 AM

Screenshot of the new keyboard looks great! Looking forward to the release ^^

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM

Wow, that new keyboard looks very good .

Edit: Nvm, the scrolling isn't very laggy in this app. Got the wrong app in mind... :P

Last edited by Idroy; 02-18-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM

I just remembered another thing I wanted to inform you about. It's about the character count and line info. It's sometimes there, and sometimes not. And it isn't counting very good either. When you feed a new line it doesn't add it until you've written at least a character on it.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
perhaps the cursor u can borrow the function from Zap's code
I'm not sure if I can use that, his code is a lot different than mine.
But anyway I already fixed it, it was just 1 line that wasn't in place (it was above another line while it was supposed to be underneath it...) I guess I was too tired to notice that last night

Quote:
Wow, that new keyboard looks very good .
Thanks

About the lag, there is little because this one only scrolls up and down.
I added left-right scrolling, and then there is a bit more lag.. Maybe I'll disable left-right scrolling, I have to see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
I just remembered another thing I wanted to inform you about. It's about the character count and line info. It's sometimes there, and sometimes not. And it isn't counting very good either. When you feed a new line it doesn't add it until you've written at least a character on it.
Aah you noticed Yes, the counting was in the wrong place in the code, that's why it didn't get updated properly. I fixed that now.

I'm working on adding user-switchable colors and cursors and then I'll upload V2

Last edited by Brett_val; 02-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Can't wait to try it ... ( I know, this message is pretty useless XD)

Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
About the lag, there is little because this one only scrolls up and down.
I added left-right scrolling, and then there is a bit more lag.. Maybe I'll disable left-right scrolling, I have to see..

Aah you noticed Yes, the counting was in the wrong place in the code, that's why it didn't get updated properly. I fixed that now.

I'm working on adding user-switchable colors and cursors and then I'll upload V2
I would definitely prefer to disable left-right scrolling and then make it break the lines automatically to fit the screen.

And of course I noticed, I didn't add "The feedbacker" in my sig for nothing =P

Looking forward to V2 of course ^^

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Now that's what I call good feedback

To me right-left scrolling isn't important either, and sometimes even bothersome when you just want to scroll down but by mistake sweep all the text to left or right. But since the player can do it, it's nice that it's included..
I'll let the user choose if it can scroll left-right.

And thanks to you all for your enthousiasm !

Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 PM

i came across a function that does font wrapping.

example like when a word gets cut into the next line, first half of the word at the top, second half of the word at the next line, instead of the whole word moving down into a new line

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Updated!!

While working on this one I learned a little more about how to save to a file, so I'll now be working on a way to save and load different textfiles.

I included an option to disable left-right scrolling, but I don't really notice a difference in speed/lag.. What do you guys think?

Splashscreen is also coming, which will include credits

When all this is done, and there are no bugs left in it, I'll contact Xeroo to upload it to Xeroo.net.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
i came across a function that does font wrapping.

example like when a word gets cut into the next line, first half of the word at the top, second half of the word at the next line, instead of the whole word moving down into a new line
Isn't that what this already does? It just goes to a new line and the word gets cut. Or do you have a code that moves the whole word to the next line?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Sorry for double posting but I just thought of this and had to tell you guys.

If you put this in the touch.move part of the loop it helps when scrolling large amounts of text.

s=s+1
if s==5 then drawlines() s=0 end

It's just to prevent the player from drawing all the time. Higher values like 10 make the scrolling very "shocky", and at 5 it's still not fluent anymore but I think that's better than being unresponsive because it's constantly drawling lines.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:48 AM

Found one problem immediately. You exit the app and let it save your text, then when you open it up again it reloads the text without spaces.

I love they keyboard design, it's cool. But perhaps there is an easier way to allow caps? Or at least a shift button making one char capital and then goes back automatically.

And for the options menu you might need a separate image instead of stretching the small one you use for the buttons, it gets slightly pixelated in the shadowing.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 AM

@Brett: I will post the sample code when i get home

for the auto caplock suggestion, may not be a good idea to go back to small cap if user wants big caps all the way

instead i suggest for the first character immediately after the fullstop, the program will auto write big caps then following characters will be back to small letter

Tags
application, notepad, x-fi 2