android
Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Help Something Odd...

Hey guys.

So recently, weird stuff has been happening. By, "stuff", I mean one thing.

Basically, the problem is that sometimes when I listen to my P3, I don't hear in the left earphone as well as the right. Thing is, I've confirmed that it's not the earphones (Etymotic ER-6i's to be specific), as I've used them in another music player, and the music volume was equal in both earphones. The really odd part, is that sometimes the volume sounds the same on both sides when listening to the P3. Am I paranoid about my earphones or P3 being broken, and thinking that there's less sound coming out of the left, or could there actually be an on-and-off problem?

(P.S- I have had a case where the left earphone of a pair of Denons stopped working. I could be paranoid about Etymotics losing their sound, as they're fairly expensive to me, but I'm not sure)

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Or are most songs dominant in one ear?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned

Try out a different, cheaper set. If the problem persists then it sounds like the audio jack may be defective.

Some songs may well be more dominant on one channel, but not every tune.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, might be a defective audio jack. If that's the case it's time to RMA that baby,..........even though it might make you cry.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM

I also remembered that I have A-symmetrical earholes, and for that reason, earphones tend to not go into my left ear as well as the right. For instance, the Etymotic ER-6is don't cancel all the noise they could be when in my left ear, because of that irregularness. To fix the problem, I may just have to get some custom buds for them. Might be that, and I hope so, as I really don't want my P3 to be having a defective headphone jack.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Fact that he said they worked fine on another player means that more than likely it is the P3 itself. D:

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Figured it out!

I was doing the opposite of what I should have been doing. Instead of pushing in my Etymotics deeper and deeper, while swishing them to find that sweet spot, what I really should have been doing wa testing them while they were lightly pushed in. Apparently, when I push them in too far, my irregular ear canal makes it so that the sound is a bit less than the right, and little noise is canceled. But! When I have them in only a bit, everything's fine, which is just sort of weird to me...

The other music player was just a coincidence (me putting my Etymotics in at the right spot) apparently.

The same does not apply to the right ear, which is why I was trying to get them in deeper, and at the same time, swivel them to try to find the "sweet spot". The right ear works no matter how far I push them in.