android
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Add songs to playlist using X-Fi2... How?

I have a new X-Fi2 and trying to learn about it and get things up and running. Have a few questions and haven't been able to find the answers... any help would be appreciated.

1. When a song is playing, you can choose "save as playlist" and give it a name, but I don't see how to add more songs to this playlist. When another song is playing, I expected to see a menu item similar to "add to playlist" but it's not there.. could someone please help me out?

2. Is there a way to manipulate the tag information the X-Fi2 lets you choose from? My MP3 tagging program lets me put in more info than I'm seeing on the player, for instance, year. Can I play songs from just 2005? I only see Albums, Artists, Genres, and All Tracks to choose from.

3. My previous player let me play folders and this one apparently does not. I was freaking, but I don't use the 'albums' field so I set it to correspond to folders. For the Rock folder I set all the songs album field to "Rock Folder", songs in Alternative folder has album field set to "Alternative Folder", etc. and it seems to be working fine. Otherwise I don't see a way to shuffle and listen to all the songs in a certain genre (which I have grouped in folders on the PC). Is there a better way? or am I missing something?

Thank You!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM

1. When a song is playing it is always in a temporary playlist. You can view this playlist when you sweep to the right on the now-playing window.
Now, when you want to add more songs to that list, browse your music, select options (upper right) and choose "add". Select the albums or artists you want to add and click Yes.
When you choose "save as playlist" in the now playing window, it saves the whole list.

2. I don't think the Zen can sort by year. It's just album/artist/genre or all. You can view the other information from the tags by choosing "view details", but I don't think it's possible to sort by all of them.

3. Well you can add the genre to the "genre" field in the tags, and then in the Zen, browse by genre. In there, under options, you can choose "add genre" which adds all the songs in that genre to the temporary playlist.

I hope this gets you going a bit.. it takes a bit to get used to the way creative players work (by tags, and not folders) but it's really great when you get used to the tags. The temporary playlist is a little more "hidden" than in previous Zen players.. it took me a while to find it :P.
By the way a lot of programs automatically add tags to the mp3s, so in manby cases you don't even have to edit them manually.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Hi,

Here what I know:

1. The X-Fi 2 allows you to navigate by Album, Genre or Artists. Playlists created on the player are made by adding the tracks to the "Now Playing" list. (You then save it by selecting "Save as Playlist".) If you want to add an individual track to "Now Playing", you need to navigate to the track through its artist, genre or album. When you are at the list of tracks, select the menu object, and then select "Add Tracks". This changes the view so you can select one or more tracks, and then select "Yes" at the bottom and the tracks are added. I think they are added in alphabetic order. I add them one at a time so I am not sure.

2. I do not think there is any way to do this. I think you are stuck with Album, Artist and Genre.

3. As you have discovered, the X-Fi 2 uses the MP3 tag info to display tracks. There is no support for folder navigation or selecting folders for playing tracks. This is why you will see folks occasionally post a recommendation that all tracks have proper and complete tag info or they will "disappear" from the player. It seems like you have found the best work around for managing your tracks by folders by tagging them with the name.

I hope this helps.