android
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Default Sony S-639 and Media Monkey playlist question

Does anyone here use Media Monkey with their Sony S-639 and know how to create playlists? I have been trying for months with no results searching Media Monkey forums, here,etc. I have screenshots to help in solving my problem. Any help someone here can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Vision1994

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, I don't have a S639 [I have an E345]. Am kinda new here, but have been pushing Winamp for users of the S/E series as I have had perfect luck managing my device with Winamp.

I also use the excellent MediaMonkey, but sadly it doesn't play quite as nicely with my E345 as Winamp does.

So take this for what it is worth...if S639 and E345 are not TOTALLY DISSIMILAR, I would be willing to go out on a limb and say you would have excellent success managing your device via Winamp, playlists and syncing included.

Happy to discuss this further with you if you are interested...

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM

I went to check this out with my Sony E430 when I saw your post. I use a recent free version on my soon expiring Windows 7 RC test installation.

It's very simple to create a playlist on MediaMonkey and add some music from your library. You right-click on the Playlists item in the left side Music Explorer Tree. You select the option to create a new playlist and drag music titles to it.

When you're done, you just have to right-click on the playlist name and choose the option to send it to your device which is listed on the opened sub-menu. After that, you will see the created playlist and its music inside the Playlists menu of your player.

But MediaMonkey doesn't seems to enable playlist creation directly on the MTP device using the device content. If this limitation doesn't bother you, at the fist glance, MTP playlists management in MediaMonkey seems working with this player. But, it is not Ok, it is quite bad to say the truth...

MediaMonkey was not able to detect that the music was already on my player and performed a useless second copy of the files to my player.
The other problem is that even if a Music/Artist/Album path is defined in the software options, MediaMonkey has put the music in the root of my player. I really mean root, not the MUSIC root folder, the top ROOT of the device's disk...

I gave Winamp a try, it performs much better. I was perfectly able to create a PC playlist to sync with the player with no file redundancy problem. Winamp can also create a device playlist using the in-situ music library.

Result: Winamp was 100% successful for me where MediaMonkey failed in many ways (a working playlist but with a very bad file management).

Conclusion: If you experience the same issues I do with MediaMonkey, maybe you should follow lestatar and go with Winamp for the moment.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
I went to ...EXCELLENT POST SNIPPED
@ meetooman:

Your experience with your Sony Walkman and MediaMonkey and Winamp exactly mirror my own. Thanks for confirming!

For sure, I love MediaMonkey - it has now surpassed Winamp as my default music library manager. I just love the look and feel of MM - while Winamp is still an excellent, small and stable product, it does feel a bit dated compared to MM.

But more importantly, you are 100% correct. Winamp interfaces with my E345 perfectly and MM does not.

MM cannot:
- display ALL TRACKS on my E345. It only retrieves the folder listing from the device and I have to navigate through each folder. This is VERY ANNOYING.

WINAMP does this perfectly.

- easily create playlists on the device itself. Aside from your workaround, there is no way I have figured out to do this.

WINAMP does this perfectly. You can select the device in Winamp, right click and create a new playlist directly on the device.

I actually have both Winamp and MM residing on all my XP SP2 PCs, with both managing the same music collection [12000+ tunes]. This way I always have an A-B comparison of how the 2 apps behave/function as they manage my library.

Anyway, as I have said many times here, Winamp IMO is the best way to manage your Sony Walkman device.

I just cannot understand why so many folks continue to use the super frustrating, counter-intuitive, bloated, system controlling and vastly limiting piece of crap that is WMP.

Especially when [FREE AND EXCELLENT] stuff like Winamp is out there.

cheers!
-lestatar

Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks a lot Lestatar. Which version of Winamp are you using for your Sony player? I know there are stripped down versions without all the bloat that I might be interested in.

Thanks,
Vision1994

Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@vision1994:

Both Winamp 5.56 and current 5.57 work perfectly with my E series. Free, full version is all you need [and what I am using]. 10MB is not as small as Foobar2K, but for all the [useful] feature set available in Winamp, 10MB is pretty darn slim.

Also, don't click too quick during the install...be sure to OPT OUT of any "value added" services/features for the leanest install.

Good luck, enjoy and post back your results!

<YES! another slice out of the horrid WMP pie!... ;-) >

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 02-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Hello.
Why is my S639 Walkman hangs in Winamp 5.57?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi Golum...

No idea...I do not have experience with your model walkman. I only know Winamp generally works fine with E/S series devices...

Not sure what the problem is..perhaps someone else can help you solve it...

- What errors do you get?

- Exactly what are you doing when Winamp crashes?

- What OS/PC type are you using?

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Hi Lestatar.

Winamp recognizes me Walkman.Solo recognizes playlists. The albums do not.

When clicking with the mouse in the directory Walkman it stays blocked The winamp.

None program recognizes me the files AAC free of DRM.Is Logician?

Wanted to be able to do lists of reproduction in AAC
I use Windows SP2. Are they the plugins the problem?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golum View Post
Hi Lestatar.

Winamp recognizes me Walkman.Solo recognizes playlists. The albums do not.

When clicking with the mouse in the directory Walkman it stays blocked The winamp.

None program recognizes me the files AAC free of DRM.Is Logician?

Wanted to be able to do lists of reproduction in AAC
I use Windows SP2. Are they the plugins the problem?

Thanks
Hi Golum:

Please do not be insulted, but it seems English is not your native language - I am not really understanding what problems you are trying to describe.

Any way you can be a bit clearer?

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hi Golum:

Please do not be insulted, but it seems English is not your native language - I am not really understanding what problems you are trying to describe.

Any way you can be a bit clearer?

cheers,
-lestatar

My native language is Spanish.
Using a translator.
Sorry.
thanks for everything

Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 AM

Hi guys, I have an S639 and have just this week managed to get media monkey to transfer playlists to it properly (without duplicating tracks).
Instead of going through the synchronise player route, I tried to right-click on the playlist title and select 'send to' and then 'walkman'.
It worked perfectly for me (well almost, 1 of the tracks on my playlist was flac which of course the walkman doesn't support, but all the others transfered without duplicating the ones that were already on).
Hope this helps.
drobi

Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobi View Post
Hi guys, I have an S639 and have just this week managed to get media monkey to transfer playlists to it properly (without duplicating tracks).
Instead of going through the synchronise player route, I tried to right-click on the playlist title and select 'send to' and then 'walkman'.
It worked perfectly for me (well almost, 1 of the tracks on my playlist was flac which of course the walkman doesn't support, but all the others transfered without duplicating the ones that were already on).
Hope this helps.
drobi
Hey drobi: That's great info! I kinda gave up on using MM to sync/transfer to my E series Sony [mostly because Winamp works better for me], but this is cool news - though MediaMonkey has supplanted Winamp on my systems as the music player of choice, MM doesn't quite interface 100% right with my E345, thus I've been using Winamp.

Will give MM a shot at this when I can - thanks again. Am sure this will be helpful to folks [especially those who want/need a WMP alternative].

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 PM

"Send to Walkman", I think that was the way I tried and MM was putting every file in a wrong place. Maybe a very recent update has corrected the issue. By the way my Windows 7 RC expires today. I will not be able to investigate much further now.