android
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Default Corrupt filesystem

I have a NWZ-S738F. I lost my USB cable and bought a generic one online - big mistake. At first it worked for charging but not for transferring data. The computer wouldn't even recognize. But for some reason one day I must have had the wire plugged in the right way and my computer could see the mp3 player, but kept disconnecting. I tried to transfer a couple of files to the player and it didn't work. After I did this, I noticed the filesystem on the player was corrupt. In one of the folders it had a bunch of files with random character names totaling 6 terabytes (the player is only 8 GB) and it wouldn't allow me to delete anything since my computer said it was mounted in read only mode. Finally I reset the device and noticed the USB mode changed, so I booted to windows and was able to delete all the files off the device, but now it hangs on "creating library" whenever it loads. I even upgraded the firmware and all the garbled files seem to have disappeared, but I still can't initialize the player without getting stuck "creating library". Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM

After charging it completely and letting it create the library for about 5 hours, it finally finished just before the battery ran out and I was able to get in and format the device. Very inconvenient, but at least it's working now.