android
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Default Now Playing SONY Walkman Series S-545

As a SONY newbie who just had my beloved Creative Zen die, I can't figure out how to play artist A plus artist B at the same time. What I mean is, if I have 3 songs from artist A Now Playing, and I then go back to Music, Artist, artist B and press the center button on the wheel, the songs from artist B REPLACE the songs from artist A. I want the songs from artist B to be ADDED to the songs from artist A in Now Playing.

Am I missing something simple? I could do this with my Creative.

Also, in my Creative, when I was in Now Playing, I could create a playlist on the fly from what was in Now Playing. I did not have to use the computer to create a playlist. Can I do this with the SONY Series S?

Thanks for any help.

Leslie

Last edited by lesrich; 02-18-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think that you can do either of these things with the S545. Sorry!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesrich View Post
As a SONY newbie who just had my beloved Creative Zen die, I can't figure out how to play artist A plus artist B at the same time. What I mean is, if I have 3 songs from artist A Now Playing, and I then go back to Music, Artist, artist B and press the center button on the wheel, the songs from artist B REPLACE the songs from artist A. I want the songs from artist B to be ADDED to the songs from artist A in Now Playing.

Am I missing something simple? I could do this with my Creative.

Also, in my Creative, when I was in Now Playing, I could create a playlist on the fly from what was in Now Playing. I did not have to use the computer to create a playlist. Can I do this with the SONY Series S?

Thanks for any help.

Leslie
Hi Leslie:

You are going thru the exact same "issues" as I did when I got my Sony E series a couple of months ago [also applies for the sister/cousin S series devices and I was also coming off of a few Creative mp3 players as well as other brands].

There are some major shortcomings IMO with the basic functionality of these Sony players. People here at abi know that I have COMPLAINED ALOT [] about these issues, problems which prevent these Sony players from being truly excellent instead of being very good.

BOTTOM LINE:

- You CANNOT APPEND music to the NOW PLAYING queue FROM the device itself;

- You CANNOT DELETE music FROM the device itself;

- You CANNOT perform BASIC PLAYLIST creation/editing FROM the device.

The most surprising thing to me about the Sony devices is that these 3 basic [what I consider to be basic] functions are unavailable. Sony forces you to connect your PORTABLE device to a PC to manage it. Ironic, right?

This is EXTREMELY SILLY to me and are serious issues. Every mp3 player I have ever had included these basic functions.

However, as these Sony players sound fantastic, offer generally excellent form, function and battery life and are among the best value storage-wise for the money, many folks [me included] have reluctantly given in and end up working around these shortcomings.

If you are interested, click my user name in the forums to see my "rants" on this exact issue. It may be instructive to you also to read the responses from folks who really don't mind not having these key features, to get a different persepective.

Different strokes...

cheers!
-lestatar

Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks so much for your excellent reply. Now I have some thinking to do!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 AM

I'm lucky this is my very first PMP so I dont miss all of those features lol, anyway is it possible to make a playlist on your pc and transfer it in a file to the walkman?

hopefully we can do this, it may be a pain but it beats nothing.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@ jsk68:

Yes, there are several ways to make playlists on Sony Walkmans.

My personal opinion [and others as well] - STAY AWAY FROM Windows Media Player!

To make playlists on Win XP for your Sony Walkman, you can:

- install and use Winamp [free, stable, relatively small and full featured media manager and it interfaces perfectly with the new Sony E/S series] - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!

- install the included Sony Content transfer software;

- possibly use Win Explorer to do simple drag and drop and playlist creation/syncing.

Search the Sony forums here at abi...a ton of great info and knowledgeable friendly folks who can assist.

Also, search the abi site - the editors have recently written excellent, comprehensive articles on how to use various software to sync/manage your Sony [and other] mp3 player...

Personally, everyone knows I am a huge Winamp fan for managing my Sony player - my experience with it has been flawless.

And again, do yourself a favor and STAY FAR AWAY from Windows Media Player - it is horrible, uncontrollable bloatware, just like iTunes...

If you decide to give Winamp a shot, write back here and I [and others i am sure] will try and assist you...

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 AM

I find WMP fine for creating/transfering files and playlists

there is also Sony Media manager, but on mine it doesnt even recognise my player, but do use it for podcast support until WMP adds this in

Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyesi View Post
I find WMP fine for creating/transfering files and playlists

there is also Sony Media manager, but on mine it doesnt even recognise my player, but do use it for podcast support until WMP adds this in
Hey eddyesi:

Glad to hear WMP works for you - different strokes...! Of course, I have used WMP in the past and personally found it terribly lacking and subpar for all the reasons I mentioned.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Winamp or MediaMonkey or any of the other free media managers out there? ;-)

If you haven't, that would be a little like only eating hamburger and never trying steak.

cheers!
-lestatar

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you tried Winamp or MediaMonkey or any of the other free media managers out there? ;-)
Not recently no, but then i have invested enough time in WMP now that i dont want to switch, just purely for timesaving, reimporting and sorting track titles/albums/playlists etc.

Much as i like the burger/steak analogy, it would be fine if it only took 5mins to see if any software was better, and even if it was, is it worth me spending 10's of hrs re-sorting my 60gb of music in another bit of software. Frankly i have better things to do with my life however may take a look at MM just to see if it have import functions.

What i was trying to get over was as a computer savvy mid level user though it has flaws i find WMP fine for week to week management of my mp3 library and player. Only really bugging thing is there is no easy way just to add new tracks, it has to scan the whole c-drive

Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey eddysi:

Totally understand! But, actually, you may be laboring under a false assumption.

Neither Winamp or MediaMonkey will really require you to do much with your music collection. For both apps, you basically install them, point them to where your music lives and let them do their thing. If your music is recognized by WMP, then it will be recognized by Winamp/MediaMonkey, etc.

Also, a word of advice from someone who wasted a lot of time before - if they are not, try to be sure:

-that your music is in 1 or 2 main library folders on your PC; otherwise, as you get more music, it becomes a huge chore to track where everything lives; the idea is to control where your music collection lives, not the other way around where stuff is all over the place.

-that your music is properly tagged the way you want it, but with basic info as Artist/Title/Album/Year/Track Number intact. Getting into this habit of tagging will go a long way to insuring that you have an organized library - well worth the effort up front and as you RIP/download new music. Plus you will be the envy of all your friends as they admire your supremely organized music collection. <wink>

As for your WMP complaint about rescanning entire library everytime when adding new stuff, this is pretty much true for all media managers. But both Winamp and MediaMonkey can be set to monitor your music folders in the background when they are running so you do not need to proactively force the app to scan for new music.

Just some food for thought! But again, whatever works for you is the best way to go...There's a lot of great info here at the abi forums and on the abi site - well worth checking out.

cheers!
-lestatar

Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM

lestatar wrote the following as part of a post:

Quote:
As for your WMP complaint about rescanning entire library everytime when adding new stuff, this is pretty much true for all media managers. But both Winamp and MediaMonkey can be set to monitor your music folders in the background when they are running so you do not need to proactively force the app to scan for new music.

As far as adding music to MediaMonkey (MM), I keep my entire music collection in one folder and have MM monitor only that folder. It scans my entire msuci library when it starts and it takes about 1 minute.

To add music to MM, all I do is drop the file into my music collection folder. If MM is running it is instantly added to MM and organized in my music collection. If MM is not running, it will be added and organized the next time I start MM.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My MediaMonkey is set up to scan my folders at start-up, and to automatically analyze each track's volume that hasn't been analyzed( for ReplayGain purposes).

My music is primarily in folder of codec type....FLAC, mp3, wma, m4a, vorbis(although there's hardly any m4a or vorbis).... although newer additions are temporarily in seperate named folders named after the music's source....for example, I have a Jamendo folder and an Ektoplasm folder.

And since I am not lacking in hard drive space, I have lossy conversions of my FLACs already prepared for use on my DAP's....none of that convert-while-syncing for me.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@CDMP3PlayerFan, you are absolutely right...MediaMonkey does a very nice job of updating new additions. And both Winamp and MediaMonkey won't choke as your collection grows [as WMP probably will] - I think upper limit of MM is 100k songs and Winamp I think will run great managing at least 50k songs.

@Marvin, I like FLAC too but believe it or not, space is an issue for me [groan, AGAIN!]...with 13k songs and growing daily, even 1TB of external storage isn't enough for me [what with all the movies/DVD rips/games I have]...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
@Marvin, I like FLAC too but believe it or not, space is an issue for me [groan, AGAIN!]...with 13k songs and growing daily, even 1TB of external storage isn't enough for me [what with all the movies/DVD rips/games I have]...
I have no games or movie collections on my computer, so that frees up a lot for me.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I have no games or movie collections on my computer, so that frees up a lot for me.
Not yet my friend...not yet, but you will! <insert evil madman laugh here>

Tags
now playing, playlist