android
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Default How do you uncap the volume limit on the sansa?

i have searched for this one but found nothing. This used to be the 2nd most popular mp3 player next to the iPod, and i still couldnt find anyone ask this question.

simply, is there any way to uncap the volume limit on my sansa. I need this because installed an external speaker to the sansa. beforehand, I hooked it up to a headphone jack, and put it in my two iPods that can crank out sound, and on full volume, the speaker sounded great with no distortion. when i soldered the wires to my sansa, the speaker worked, but the volume limit kept it from being anything but loud. So i installed rockbox which bumped up the sound a little more, but when i tried to adjust the eq settings, everything went distorted, even though it was not nearly as loud as it was when i had it on my iPod.

i have used mp3gain to boost the volume on my music files, and it works great, but even mp3gain has a cap, and you can only boost the tracks to 105db. what i need is like 150db mp3 files, but i havent found any program besides mp3gain that boosts multiple files to a higher volume limit.

so do you guys know of any programs that can boost my mp3 files, or even better, uncap my sansa's volume limit.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you use High volume in the settings or can you run Rockbox?
Backup Players: 8GB Sansa View, 2GB Sansa Clip

Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If EQ distorts you're not doing it right.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Rockbox Developer

If you boost your mp3 beyond 100dB, you're not doing it right either. Distortion is almost guaranteed in thise case.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
If you boost your mp3 beyond 100dB, you're not doing it right either. Distortion is almost guaranteed in thise case.
well, i know the speaker can go that high because i first hooked it up to my ipods through a broken headphone jack, and cranked up the volume all the way, and the sound was loud with no distortion.

when i adjust the eq, i make sure to do them all evenly but still there is distortion. i dont do one more than all of them or anything like that.

everything i have tried did not work, and my only solutions are to either uncap the volume limit, or make my music louder which i have said before, already tried with the only program i could find that raised multiple tracks at one time, not just one at a time.

thanks for all the answers though, and btw, when i did have original firmware installed, i tried the high volume setting, and it did a little bit, but not enough.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Rockbox Developer

It doesn't matter how far your speakers can go. If you pump the music files too much (no matter if you use mp3gain or the eq), they will distort on any speaker.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 AM

i made an external altoids tin speaker anyway with a computer speaker

closed

Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM

I did some testing a while back with an o-scope. Using rockbox, with EQ flat at max volume there was a nice sine wave. Even moving the EQ up by one started causing clipping. Not sure why you'd want to go past that.

Time for an external amp