android
Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Default Need to replace the screen

My screen is broken on my e270 and I need some help if figuring out if it is feasible to replace the screen or not. I already bought a 16GB Sansa View to replace it, but I hate not having RockBox.

For those familiar with the insides of the players, I've gotten as far as unclipping the screen from the board, so it's only connected by the ribbon cable. Although the ribbon cable seems to be soldered in at both ends from what I can tell (I can't quite tell on the screen end, but on the board it is). On the screen end there appears to be some kind of tape-like object just below the display part of the screen that might be removable but I'm having trouble with it. Am I gonna be lucky enough that the ribbon cable just inserts into the screen and is taped in place, or is this just some fanciful dream of mine?

Long story short, my screen is broke, wanna replace, help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-21-2009, 02:20 PM

It's soldered at both ends. Soldering a new screen will be difficult, I tried and gave up. The screens aren't sold anywhere so you'd have to find a Sansa that you're willing to take a screen off of. If it's a version 1 then you can get a e250 and put your memory into it to make it a e270.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Buy a used V1 off ebay or woot or where ever and swap out your memory cards.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 PM

1) You can also install the Rockbox voice prompts and use it that way or give it to a blind person.

2) If you get another e200 series, you'll have an extra battery, battery charger and a replacement for the front panel, the screen of which often cracks.

If you decide to give up on it, send me a PM and I'll offer you something for it.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:05 AM

Are you sure it's really soldered, and NOT using ACF ("Anisotropic Conductive Film")?

If you do a web search for Anisotropic Conductive Film (and "rework") you'll find that this is the predominant means of connecting flex-to-PCB, and while repair IS possible, it's not for the faint of heart.

If anyone has been able to successfully rework the LCD flex on the e200 series (V1), please post your experience (and, IF you were able to do so using gear available to Mere Mortals, rather than the uber-$$$ equipment that the real ACF repair shops use). I've got one that seems to be OK except for a dodgy flex job -- everything looks intact, and the player is completely functional, but the display is all futzed up (as is to be expected if one or more of the connections has gone bad).

I've wondered it it'd be possible to carefully separate the flex termination, carefully clean the contacts, and then buy some AC/Film on ebay, and rig up a hot-bar tip for a soldering pencil.