android
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Rockbox: Clip v2

It looks as if the wait for all of us v2 owners is winding down.

Confirmation is about 1/2 way down the page.
Progress can also be monitored here.

The port is not functional yet - please don't ask where to get it, how to install it, etc.

Last edited by tubafish; 03-23-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: corrected link location

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Sweeeet closer and closer we get to mecca!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Very, very cool news indeed. Been using my v1 clip rockboxed, with my clip+ patiently waiting in the box for a working build. I know we've still got some time to go, but I also know it will be worth the wait... Perhaps the 32gb micro sdhc cards will be out by the time clip+ gets a stable-ish build even! (maybe that's hoping for too much)

Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaneu View Post
Perhaps the 32gb micro sdhc cards will be out by the time clip+ gets a stable-ish build even! (maybe that's hoping for too much)
Those cards are out now....for the low, low, price of $200 on the SanDisk website....

Old 03-24-2010, 03:55 AM

That is great news!

I've got an 8GB v2 Clip gathering dust. Having to make do rotating songs on my 2GB v1 Rockboxed Clip.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip8g View Post
That is great news!

I've got an 8GB v2 Clip gathering dust. Having to make do rotating songs on my 2GB v1 Rockboxed Clip.
You should put the .35 update on it. It will give you ReplayGain support, which makes it a lot more usable than before.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
You should put the .35 update on it. It will give you ReplayGain support, which makes it a lot more usable than before.
Once you go gapless and cue sheet support, you can't go back! Rockbox has spoilt us!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Once you go gapless and cue sheet support, you can't go back! Rockbox has spoilt us!
Love the use of the word "spoilt"! I have 2 V1 Clips, but I'm always glad to see progress on all devices.

For me, nothing beats crossfade. I haven't searched around, but I would love if they got that working on the Clips.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's a bootloader: r25316-100324-sansaclipv2-02.01.35a-dual_boot.zip - I'm not responsible if your Clip catches on fire, kicks your puppy, etc.

Fresh firmware builds can be found here: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-sansaclipv2.zip

Old 03-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Three cheers for dfkt!

Here's to hoping that no v2's get kicked in the teeth.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM

thanks for those links. it's working fine here on my 8gb. it's been given a whole new lease of life.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Thumb Up

Grrr just my luck, the weekend before Rockbox gets sound on my Clip it gets wet and the battery dies. Ah well I now have an excuse to get a Clip+ (Got my first Clip 3 days before the Clip+ was announced). At least the Clip+ has sound as well now. Cheers for the great work people are doing on this, keep it up !

Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the patched firmware dfkt and the tip about transferring config.cfg and WPS across from the v1 Clip.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Those cards are out now....for the low, low, price of $200 on the SanDisk website....
Heh, yeah... "out now" is actually listed on their site as back-ordered. Looks like they just wanted to beat Samsung to the punch by "technically" releasing first. $200 is certainly steep, but that's early adopter tax for ya.

Anyhow, back on topic, I'm quite excited to pop rockbox (even in this early state) onto my clip+ tonight. Simply fantastic how quickly it's come along!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dca693 View Post
Love the use of the word "spoilt"! I have 2 V1 Clips, but I'm always glad to see progress on all devices.

For me, nothing beats crossfade. I haven't searched around, but I would love if they got that working on the Clips.
What is Cue sheet support and Crossfade?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANZA View Post
What is Cue sheet support and Crossfade?
Look in one of the non-Clip manuals on the Rockbox site under "Playback Settings" for a description of each of those features (the Clip v1 port doesn't contain the Crossfade feature due to limited RAM, and the newer Clip manuals are currently just copies of the Clip v1 manual, so "Crossfade" is not described in any of those).

Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 AM

i've been using this for a few hours now and it's great. many thanks to all the rockbox guys who worked on this.

my only niggle is that it doesn't resume playback on startup (i realise this is because it can't save any settings). but the other features more than make up for that. proper gapless, file browsing.....and a clock (i'm easily pleased ). i haven't even scratched the surface of what else is possible.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Tried this on my Clip V2 last night, Everything went smoothly until the clip was trying to update the firmware - last message I got was "upgrading software" on the clip, and then nothing. Bricked.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to un-brick it?

I guess I'll just have to wait for a good deal on a Clip+...

Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2k View Post
Tried this on my Clip V2 last night, Everything went smoothly until the clip was trying to update the firmware - last message I got was "upgrading software" on the clip, and then nothing. Bricked.

I have had good success with: while clip appears dead, put hold lock on (slider switch down), hold and continue holding the center button down and attempt to connect to pc with usb cable. I've been able to establish a connection and then I removed rockbox (see rockbox.org for removal instructions, I'm not going to type it all out). Also with one of the one's that my son bricked, it took me over 4 times to establish a connection, when I gave up the last time it sat over night and I tried again the following day and it came back to life. Aside from this trick I don't have any other ideas, but have patients and allow as long as possible between tries.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2k View Post

The Clip V2 will power off itself after firmware upgrade.

If it doesn't show anything on the screen when you power it on, it might mean that your model doesn't work with rockbox for some reason.

However you should still be able to boot the original firmware by holding the left button when pressing power button.

If it's powered on and crashed, you'll need to keep pressing power button for ~20 seconds to make sure it's off, or wait 1 day until the battery empties.