android
Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
The Clip V2 will power off itself after firmware upgrade.

If it doesn't show anything on the screen when you power it on, it might mean that your model doesn't work with rockbox for some reason.

However you should still be able to boot the original firmware by holding the left button when pressing power button.

If it's powered on and crashed, you'll need to keep pressing power button for ~20 seconds to make sure it's off, or wait 1 day until the battery empties.
Thanks guys for the quick replies! I'll give it a try.
Considering I only spent around $20 on it, and had for about 8 moths, I am not too concerned.

Last edited by os2k; 03-25-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i've been using this for a few hours now and it's great. many thanks to all the rockbox guys who worked on this.

my only niggle is that it doesn't resume playback on startup (i realise this is because it can't save any settings). but the other features more than make up for that. proper gapless, file browsing.....and a clock (i'm easily pleased ). i haven't even scratched the surface of what else is possible.
If you enable bookmarking and have it save when the player shuts off you should be good. This is what i do for podcasts. It's not perfect but it's a workaround.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc315 View Post
If you enable bookmarking and have it save when the player shuts off you should be good. This is what i do for podcasts. It's not perfect but it's a workaround.
If the player can't write anything to the disk, you're not going to be able to save anything past a shutdown. It'll just be erased whenever the RAM is cleared.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM

edit: nvm, the post above has clarified things.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Here's the config.cfg from my Clipv1, it can be edited to one's liking and put in the .rockbox folder on the player. Maybe it's of some help to some of you.
Attached Files
File Type: cfg config.cfg (1,023 Bytes, 36 views)

Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Here's the config.cfg from my Clipv1, it can be edited to one's liking and put in the .rockbox folder on the player. Maybe it's of some help to some of you.
Wow, thanks dfkt, a nice workaround! (balance: -8? )
do you know if there is any "off-line" method to build music database, too?

I think that the Clip has the "Guinness world of records" for the tiniest rockboxed player, isn't it?

Massimo

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
another info: is there any workaround to force RB to load a specific theme at startup?
I cannot find any file-setting that permits it.

thanks in advance.
Massimo

Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 AM

bYOndo,
create a fixed.cfg in \.rockbox - the settings inside will be loadedd everytime you power on the clip. Format is like "command: value", one command per line.

the manual provides a list of featured commands.

e.g. i load my wsp with "wps: /.rockbox/wps/b.wps"

dunno if theres a command for general (not wps) themes.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

I couldn't get my clip v2 to unbrick yet. I just ordered a zune hd from dell (16GB $150), and I plan on ordering a 4GB Clip+ and a 16GB msdhc in a few weeks.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM

after nearly 2 days of flawless usage, mine won't switch even switch on now. i charged it this morning and only used it for about an hour so i don't think it's a power issue. no response connecting to my pc either. oh well, looks like i'll have to get a clip+ to replace it (and that will be strictly stock firmware i think )

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
after nearly 2 days of flawless usage, mine won't switch even switch on now. i charged it this morning and only used it for about an hour so i don't think it's a power issue. no response connecting to my pc either. oh well, looks like i'll have to get a clip+ to replace it (and that will be strictly stock firmware i think )
if holding down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds doesn't do it, leave it alone for a while and try again or allow the battery to die and try connecting. Edit: or try the lock trick if it's not the +

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 PM

i waited a good 20 minutes between attempts earlier and nothing...... just tried again now and it's alive.

now, should i be boring and use this opportunity to put the old firmware back on? nah, where's the fun in that....

Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
i waited a good 20 minutes between attempts earlier and nothing...... just tried again now and it's alive.

now, should i be boring and use this opportunity to put the old firmware back on? nah, where's the fun in that....
Good to hear, once it took me over night and i felt sure it was gone, but the hold trick worked fine

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2k View Post
I couldn't get my clip v2 to unbrick yet.
I think what happened to me is that I was compiling rockbox with a different OF (.35) than what was on my clip (.32?).

Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2k View Post
I think what happened to me is that I was compiling rockbox with a different OF (.35) than what was on my clip (.32?).
That doesn't matter. Copying the patched firmware removes whatever was already on your player.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator

I've been running some battery drain tests using build r25338-100325. With my V1 Rockboxed Clip running the current build I get results of between 6hrs. 39 mins. to 6 hrs. 44 mins. using battery bench. I thought this was a great improvement over the around 5+ hours I had been getting. That didn't prepare for this though.

I've found that my Rockboxed 8 GB V2 Clip has a running time of just under 13 hours. I confirmed this with 3 complete charges and 3 almost complete discharges (to 5%). I didn't want to do a complete discharge as I would lose the runtime information when the battery died.

This is simply amazing to me. Somehow the developers have just about doubled the battery life. I hadn't done a discharge test in the OF in quite a while so I'm not sure what I would get there but I do know that it isn't better than this. I had transferred my config.cfg directly from my V1 Clip and am using roughly the same blend of -V4 and -V2 .mp3 files so the running conditions are just about the same.

My hat is off once again to the gifted people at Rockbox. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I've found that my Rockboxed 8 GB V2 Clip has a running time of just under 13 hours.
for real??
if confirmed, that's even better than OF, considering RB in its "alpha" state (no optimization or whatever).
I hope it doesn't depend on the fact that writing is disabled, so some ICs are switched off (dunno, just guessing...), then less power is drawn.
A nice update: now FM radio, recording (just pre-record listening, it cannot writes!) thru mic and FM are working too!

Massimo

Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 AM

i've noticed a little problem with todays build. the screen doesn't come on when using the side volume buttons. the volume still changes so it's not a major issue. i just thought i'd mention it.

edit: my last build was from the 26th - i haven't been updating every day.

edit2: i've just noticed the daily build page. the latest version that doesn't have this problem is r25376-100328.

Last edited by marc2003; 03-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM

^the above is still an issue with the latest r25407-100331. rolling back to r25376-100328 cures it so something definitely has been changed. btw, the blue ring still comes on, just not the screen.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Rockbox Developer

If you add "backlight timeout: on" in config.cfg, that should workaround the problem (but the screen will stay on forever).

I'm trying to get my hands on a Clipv2, hopefully it will show the same problem so I can see what's wrong

I supposed I added the problem in http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/tr...&pathrev=25378 , perhaps for some reason it only works on Clip+

Thanks for testing different revisions!

Last edited by funman; 03-31-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention config.cfg