android
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk0 View Post
You probably should wait if you're that concerned about bricking your clip+, especially if you have trouble understanding how to install. The development for clip+ is still very early.

Wait a few weeks or months until it is more stable.
Seconded.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 PM

I wasn't expecting a Rockbox port for the Clip+ this fast, so I am extremely happy that this even exists at all. As many others have said, it's very early in the development process so YMMV with stability.

I would recommend reading the Rockbox wiki, and then read it again just for good measure. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS...table_e200v2_F. If you are concerned at all with bricking your player or are confused with the directions, I would suggest holding off for now until a more stable release comes out.

If you do RB your player, also keep in mind that the file system is read-only right now (and thus the playlist errors and inability to save any config changes - you can alter the config.cfg file manually, but it may be hard to figure out what to put in there -- use dfkt's file as a starting point). And USB access is not working yet (just boot to the OF to fix that). Lastly, the radio is not working yet, and I assume no recorder either. I'm sticking strictly with the music playback, for now.

I've been testing this for the last few hours and I'm very happy with the progress so far. With the right EQ settings (which I stole from my own tweaked Clip v1), this player really shines. I only had one weird hiccup with playback which required a reboot to fix.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just wish the Rockbox devs had what could help them the most (info. from SanDisk?) to finish the Clip ports--the original Clip port still is being worked on, despite considerable advances and work last year and earlier.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 AM

I installed it about 3 hours ago, everything was working fine up until i changed the theme to rockbox default and turned it off, now it won't turn back on sooo i think I've bricked it.
I had a playlist error every time i chose a track too, but then it proceeded to play it as normal.

So a word of cation to everyone tempted to do this, if you are not willing to risk your player being bricked don't install this firmware.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM

If it wont turn on, hold the power button down for like 10-15 secs, worked for me.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM

installed yesterday on my sansa clip v2. after updating firmware. bricked! could not on back. tried everything mention here.
so I leave it to rust, but today went I came back after work, on it. ROCKBOX sudden appears!!

very cool. feels like it sounds better. but charging seems to be a problem. anyway hoho ! awesome !

Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie0904 View Post
... ... feels like it sounds better. but charging seems to be a problem. anyway hoho ! awesome !
It doesn't sound any different other than it gives you a great EQ and all the rb features which do make it much better. To charge, boot to OF (hold home key while booting) and after it boots to OF, plug into pc and it will charge fine.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
If it wont turn on, hold the power button down for like 10-15 secs, worked for me.
Tried that before i posted to no avail, but when i removed the memory card and held down the power button for a while, it turned back on.
Anyway, i can replicate the crashing by setting the theme as rockbox default and enabling scrobbling to last.fm, and i can only turn the player back on when the memory card has been removed. So not exactly the most stable, for obvious reasons, but a joy to use when it's working.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
you can alter the config.cfg file manually, but it may be hard to figure out what to put in there
it's surprisingly easy if you RTFM.

http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM

For anyone who has "bricked" their player. I've found a couple of things. 1) take out any memory cards. 2) plug the player into your computer. 3) Try starting it in it's OF. Keep doing this repeatedly - holding down the home and power buttons for 10-15 seconds at a time, take a break, and keep doing it. The player will eventually start up again in OF, then you can unplug and start in rockbox just fine.

Unfortunately, I've "unrockboxed" my player I started having this problem every single time my player was turned off for more than an hour or so, and I just can't bring my computer with me everywhere to get it started again. I'll patiently wait for some more stability this time. Thanks to everyone for their hard work on getting this going though!

The nice thing is that, as long as you FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, I think it's almost impossible to brick the player...just takes some extra effort sometimes to get it going.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberter View Post
... ... The nice thing is that, as long as you FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, I think it's almost impossible to brick the player...just takes some extra effort sometimes to get it going.
I’m happy for you not bricking your player, but your statement is not true, thus the disclaimer at the beginning of the thread. Even developers have bricked players in their efforts to do this work, please do not give false expectations.

Quote:
Disclaimer
  • Rockbox is considered unusable on AMS and is unsupported on everything but the Fuze v1, e200v2 and Clip v1.
  • Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there's always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY. The Sansa AMS (except the e200v2, for which it involves opening the player) have no known method for recovery, so this risk will not go away, even in (if any) future stable releases.
  • There's no known recovery method for the AMS Sansas, except for the e200v2 (see below).
  • Installation of a bootloader may or may not permanently disable DRM support, even if you uninstall it (this is an early and old problem, but there are reports that this may not be the case anymore).

Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irldave View Post
Anyway, i can replicate the crashing by setting the theme as rockbox default and enabling scrobbling to last.fm
Just a small note: Enabling scrobbling to Last.fm is pointless as long as disk access on the Clip+ remains read-only (since the player won't be capable of writing any scrobbling information to the drive). I imagine you've now stopped doing this, irldave, but for anyone else: I recommend saving yourself the trouble of all these crashes and leaving the scrobbling option alone.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I’m happy for you not bricking your player, but your statement is not true, thus the disclaimer at the beginning of the thread. Even developers have bricked players in their efforts to do this work, please do not give false expectations.
Well, as far as we know it should be impossible to brick your player with the current bootloader. Earlier ones could, but hopefully its impossible with the current one. Provided you manage to boot the OF even once after installing rockbox, I think it should then be impossible to brick without physically damaging the USB port or flash memory chips.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Well, as far as we know it should be impossible to brick your player with the current bootloader. Earlier ones could, but hopefully its impossible with the current one. Provided you manage to boot the OF even once after installing rockbox, I think it should then be impossible to brick without physically damaging the USB port or flash memory chips.
saratoga, that's great to hear and I’m happy about the advancements in the new bootloader, as you know I didn't have problems running the more risky one myself back then or now and I clearly understood if I bricked the player it was my fault, but I would rather not give others any expectations of safety and even your own words above say "as far as we know" can cast a shadow of doubt. I have already received a few pm’s requesting support where members believe they bricked their player, I would rather not open the flood gates so to speak ... I think these should be posted in the forums where all can benefit from everyone’s help. Thus I believe the words of caution are good as I’ve even read “I can’t figure out how to install” and the next thing you know both you and I will be bombarded with “help me” threads or posts.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Did any of them actually brick their player or was it just people who didn't know what they were doing?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Did any of them actually brick their player or was it just people who didn't know what they were doing?
Well I couldn't say for sure the level competency but luckily 2 didn’t brick them and I didn’t hear back from other. I guess it’s safe to say the current bootloader is much better, but I still think it’s better to keep the disclaimer up till the port is more stable and imply that it’s a personal choice to try at your own risk.

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 PM

thanks walkgood for the tips.

but sadly, i woke up with a bricked clip again. think I will have to wait again.
hopefully it revives back. LOL.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
thanks walkgood for the tips.

but sadly, i woke up with a bricked clip again. think I will have to wait again.
hopefully it revives back. LOL.
Sorry to hear, what happened? I thought you only had a charging issue.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 PM

not sure what happen. I am listening to it yesterday.
maybe I shut down my pc while connecting the clip. geez...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
not sure what happen. I am listening to it yesterday.
maybe I shut down my pc while connecting the clip. geez...
Did you try to hold the power button down for like 15 to 20 seconds?