android
Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Default X-Fi2 Experience less than desirable

So I've owned this piece of hardware for about 2 months now. I bought it because it had a MicroSD slot and I had intended to play music from said slot. Oh woe when I discovered that the X-Fi2 could not do so without taking at least 30 seconds to re-read the contents of the card every time I turned it on and wanted to access it.

However, there was a shining light of hope to save this player from bad opinion; it could have applications. More than that, every day users could code them themselves, make whatever they wanted within the confines of the player. The language used was also an easy yet powerful one; Lua. It's a fun and easy language for someone like me, who enjoys designing more than actually making. It doesn't take long to see the results of my labours and that satisfies me.

However, as time wore on, this little add-on could not save the player from a growing negative opinion. There are several aspects of the firmware and the devices capabilities that I feel greatly let down by.

Certainly, it is a PMP, and as such it is supposed to be able to do many things; from audio playing to picture viewing to video. Certainly, it does all these things, and it does them all smoothly without a hitch. However, I'm not interested in watching video often on the player. Viewing pictures is sometimes useful, but not often. What I mostly wanted the X-Fi2 to do for me is play my music.

It plays my music without trouble, which is nice, but there are still problems. It would be better if the firmware always loaded into the 'Now Playing' screen when the player was turned on, with every other feature accessible through the Home menu as it already is. This is a major let down, and I'm sick of how long it takes to get to my music and actually hear it. The same slowness of navigation is further increased by a lack of buttons. The ability to quickly and blindly navigate my music collection is something I value, and something the player sorely lacks.

I'm well aware of the scientific research that says the limits of human hearing are between 20Hz and 20kHz, but what's bass if you can't feel it? I'm a drum & bass fan, among other genres I enjoy, and I like heavy bass. I have headphones that have a frequency range of 5Hz to 30,000Hz. Sound that far out may not translate directly into audible sound in our heads, but I can certainly feel the pressure and pulse, and I like it. This 20-20 limit seems to apply to a lot of PMP's that are on the market this year, and I admit it's going to be difficult to find one that I'll want.

Perhaps I'll go back to my previous SONY Walkman HDD player which I gave to a friend while she searches for a new one for herself. 6GB isn't a lot of space, and having to use specific software to transfer tracks over to it is slow and mildly annoying, but the firmware is brilliant and the sound quality excellent; which is what I want an audio player for.

As for the games I was making for the X-Fi2, I wont be making any more. I'll continue to design and develop games in Lua, as it's an excellent language, but I plan on doing so for the PC instead.

tldr; It was fun, while it lasted, but I want something better.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM

It's a shame that you think that, and it's a big loss for this section. But your work so far have been greatly appreciated and I bet many people will be able to learn from your tools and games.
You're always welcome back if you ever find a reason to.
But for now, I wish you luck with future development and I hope you find a player which suits your needs.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 AM
X-Fi2 App Master

We'll all miss you here Tetrajak! All of your work has been highly appreciated and you have been an inspiration to many to start crafting their own apps and venturing into the world of LUA. You've been brilliant. I also hope that you'll find a player that will satisfy you're needs soon, if not, then we're all waiting here for you

Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM

I've learned a lot from you Tetrajak, and I hate to see you leave.

As for the player, I understand what you mean, accessing music could be less button presses away.. I remember the Zen Vision having a configurable home menu, which helped a lot for that.

Anyway, I will still learn from the codes you've left here, and if I use something from it I will still put your name in the credits

Old 03-31-2010, 05:20 PM

Tetrajak

you could not have said it any better

I've had my Xfi2 since December and have owned a variety of other Creative players...

I really want this player to work and it can be much better... all it needs is for Creative to listen to their customers.

But the inconsistancy in the touch screen operation and other nagging issues keep reminding me of it's shortcomings.

I do not want to wait 10-15 seconds or more everytime I try to access the SD card.

games, cute apps, wi-fi, etc... do not interest me at all

So I too have begun a search for a new player... and this time it won't be a Creative player.

Dave

Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 PM

I'm glad those making apps appreciate what I did, and that my creations will be useful for others.

As for the player I'll be going for next, I'll be getting the SONY NWZ-A845. The previous MP3 player I had was one of the older A series, and this new one suits my requirements of an MP3 Player.