android
Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Default Tech Support EPIC FAIL

I'm having some issues with my P3, and tried to talk to Samsung tech support. They told me to throw it away and then killed the connection. If you're interested, the whole conversation can be found here. It's pretty funny, actually.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me out a wee bit more. Here's the dealy-o.

Got it a month ago, everything is fine. Updated the firmware to the newest one listed here (or the newest one listed on these forums a month ago, anyway). I'm using Win 7 32 bit.

Yesterday I tried to transfer some text files, mostly to see what it would do with them, if it could open them, etc. I transferred the same file in the following formats: .pdf .doc .lit .fb2 .rtf .rb. I did not use Emodio.

After the transfer completed, I unplugged the P3, which updated the library and shut down (as usual). I powered it on and discovered that every file and folder lost it's name. As in, instead of a name, it is a blank line. Picture can be found here.

Restarting it did nothing, nor did using the reset button (as per tech support instructions). Plugging it back into the computer, Windows shows there are several GBs on the player, but when you open it, I get eleven folders, all called Local Disk, which cannot be opened and are listed as zero bytes. Picture here.

Songs and such still play fine, though they have lost their descriptions, attached album information, etc. And being unnamed, it's kinda hard to find anything...

I would be ecstatic if someone knows how to restore the names and let my computer again access the device. If not, then I need to know how to reset the file structure and start over. I imagine the "Default Set" listed under Settings -> System might do the trick, but I don't know if this will restore the file structure or not... any ideas?

Also, if I format the device, will that restore the original structure? And what about the problem accessing things from the computer?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Xan:

Wow. That has to be one of the worst examples of tech "support" I have seen recently. Shocking and embarrassingly bad for Samsung. I wonder where the technician is geographically that you spoke with...

I really wish I could help but I have never had a Samsung player.

Good luck and hope you can fix it - am confident someone here at abi might be able to assist. You cannot be worse off than you are right now in any event...

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 AM

hi try to go into the options of the player and the to system.
Then tip on FORMATE and press YES. Then the player writes the folders new but you will lose your data, that are on the P3.
I had this, too and tried this... it worked.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
I'm having some issues with my P3, and tried to talk to Samsung tech support. They told me to throw it away and then killed the connection. If you're interested, the whole conversation can be found here. It's pretty funny, actually.
I didn't read the transcript but I read your post and I'm thinking I would have gave you the same answer. Why? Read below.

Quote:
Yesterday I tried to transfer some text files, mostly to see what it would do with them, if it could open them, etc. I transferred the same file in the following formats: .pdf .doc .lit .fb2 .rtf .rb. I did not use Emodio.
Any what were you expecting with unsupported file types? By some form of magic, the P3 would support files that were not designed to support. You did something just to see what happens and now you did see. RTFM.

Quote:
After the transfer completed, I unplugged the P3, which updated the library and shut down (as usual). I powered it on and discovered that every file and folder lost it's name. As in, instead of a name, it is a blank line. Picture can be found here.

Restarting it did nothing, nor did using the reset button (as per tech support instructions). Plugging it back into the computer, Windows shows there are several GBs on the player, but when you open it, I get eleven folders, all called Local Disk, which cannot be opened and are listed as zero bytes. Picture here.

Songs and such still play fine, though they have lost their descriptions, attached album information, etc. And being unnamed, it's kinda hard to find anything...

I would be ecstatic if someone knows how to restore the names and let my computer again access the device. If not, then I need to know how to reset the file structure and start over. I imagine the "Default Set" listed under Settings -> System might do the trick, but I don't know if this will restore the file structure or not... any ideas?

Also, if I format the device, will that restore the original structure? And what about the problem accessing things from the computer?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Try reformatting the device and transferring supported file types for starters. Seems like the obvious choice to me. If it was working fine and then you dumped a bunch of useless files on it that caused it problems, the logical path forward would be to get rid of the useless files.

Sounds like the libray is corrupt and this could happen as a result of a handful of issues. It's pointless for Samsung to fix a mess that was intentionally created by the user.

Samsung Tech Support isn't the big problem here.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I've transferred unsupported types before, and it certainly never did this. In the future, yes I will not transfer unsupported types, but I didn't go to tech support complaining about what happened. I went asking for help fixing it (hence TECH support).

Read the transcript, and you will discover the agent I talked to knew essentially nothing. I'm sure Samsung has competent people working for them- just not this one. The only reason I talked with them at all was in the (vain) hope of there being a simpler solution I couldn't find, other than formatting.

Besides, telling a customer to throw away a $200 mp3 player is inexcusable. Even if I had been a jerk (and admittedly, I was a bit perturbed, but hopefully didn't come off as a complete jerk), the player is barely a month old and still covered by warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
It's pointless for Samsung to fix a mess that was intentionally created by the user.
All the agent needed to say was there wasn't another option, format it. Instead I was told the problem was unrepairable and I might as well throw it away. Nearly every problem tech support staff deal with is caused by the customer, to one degree or another. In the year I did tech support, probably 80% of the problems I saw were caused by the customer, with the rest being faulty construction and a small number of other issues. Tech support's job is to help fix things when stupid customers, like me, mess it up.

Last edited by Xan; 03-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 AM

had the same problem

just updated library from the device, done

Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM

alright, two possible solutions. I recomend one more then the other, because its easier :P

first: go into the settings on you P3 and go to system>library update select library update and say yes. after a few minutes it should say "library update complete", check to see if that worked. if it did not, continue on to the second option.

second option: on your P3 go to Settings>system>format. select format, and say yes.
this will erase EVERYTHING off of your P3.

in the future, the P3 does not support .lib .doc .rtf. or .pdf files. it only supports .txt files.

hope this helps

Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I read the transcript, and the tech didn't really know what to do to assist you, but YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SUGGESTED THROWING THE P3 AWAY:
Quote:
Post subject: A tech support EPIC FAIL that shames other fails
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:39 am

Posts: 516 This needs no introduction, it speaks for itself. This is a direct quote; nothing has been added or changed in any way (except this intro and the note at the bottom).

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Kirsten K'

Visitor: Hello Kristen K

Kirsten K: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Visitor: I have a Samsung P3 (16GB Black) mp3 player, and have a bit of a problem with the file names

Kirsten K: I will be right with you.

Kirsten K: I appreciate if you can give me a detailed description of the problem to assist you better.

Visitor: My P3 lost all file names (for everything: videos, songs, folders in the file browser, everything)

Visitor: This occurred directly after I transferred some text files in various formats to the P3

Visitor: While connected to my computer via USB cable, I moved several files into the "text" folder on the device; when the transfer completed I unplugged it and turned it on, only to find all the names missing

Visitor: It will still play songs, but none of the folders or files show a filename anymore; restarting did not fix the problem

Visitor: This is also visible from the computer when it is connected (All folders are named "Local Disk")

Visitor: What's more, the computer sees that several GBs of space are used on the device, but all eleven "Local Disk" folders are said to be 0 bytes (and none of them open)

Visitor: I am using Windows 7, and updated the firmware on the P3 a few weeks ago to the most recent at that time

Visitor: (Win 7 32 bit)

Kirsten K: Okay.

Kirsten K: Please stay on hold while I research on the issue.

Visitor: Okay

Kirsten K: Thank you.

Visitor: If it helps, I transferred text files in the following formats just prior to this happening: .doc .lit .rb .fb2 .rtf and .pdf

Kirsten K: Thanks for holding.

Kirsten K: I suggest you use Emodio software to transfer the files.

Kirsten K: I will provide it for you.

Kirsten K: Below is the weblink for Emodio software:

Visitor: That will not correct my current problem

Kirsten K: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/d ... o_1054.exe

Visitor: That may prevent the issue from happening in the future, but I first need to recover the file names and restore functionality to the device

Kirsten K: I am sorry, it is not recommended to transfer the files directly to player.

Visitor: Are you saying you do not know how to restore my device? Remember, all the folders are completely unnamed; I cannot even browse folders within the device

Visitor: Transferring files through Emodio will not make the player usable again

Visitor: It may prevent this from happening again, but I need to restore the device first

Kirsten K: I am sorry, it may not be possible.

Visitor: Then I need to wipe the device and return it to factory default (including the original file structure)

Visitor: How do I do this?

Kirsten K: Below is the weblink to reset the player:

Kirsten K: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/pop ... 7594541514

Kirsten K: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor: That will not reset the file structure to its default

Kirsten K: This will reset the player and all the customized settings will be lost.

Visitor: That is simply directions to the reset button

Kirsten K: Yes, exactly.

Visitor: After pushing said button, my custom wallpapers remain in use, along with the name attached to the device

Visitor: Custom settings have not been reset

Visitor: The reset button "reboots" the player; it does not reset settings

Kirsten K: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Kirsten K: Thanks for holding.

Kirsten K: I am sorry, it is not possible to bring back the file on the player.

Kirsten K: Can I be of any further assistance?

Visitor: The files are all still there, they are simply nameless. This includes original system files; are you saying there is no way to restore original system files?

Visitor: If that is what you are saying, then the player is completely useless and cannot be fixed. I find this impossible to believe

Kirsten K: Yes, exactly.

Visitor: So I should just throw it away then

Kirsten K: I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kirsten K: It is not recommended to transfer the files directly to the player.

Visitor: Then why is this feature supported?

Visitor: Why do you not have a way to restore the system to its default settings?

Visitor: And why do I know more about how the P3 works than you do, when I've only had it a month and you are a technician?

Kirsten K: Based on the description of your issue, this would be something that you would want to call in for assistance with. Most issues can be resolved with just a couple of troubleshooting steps. However, it could be quite lengthy to sort out via LiveChat.

Kirsten K: The quickest way to a resolution would be to contact technical support at : 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) Timings: Mon - Sun : 9am - 9pm (EST).

Kirsten K: Thank you for chatting with us. Have a wonderful day!

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

(Note: On the P3, there is a setting called "Default Set". It's located under Settings -> System -> Default Set. There is also a format option listed there. At no time did the technician refer to this option, and just as I was about to bring it up the technician killed the connection.)
I agree, the tech was lost, but this post was unnecessary IMO. I'd have tried w/another tech, or asked for assistance here on ABI, but going the "epic fail" route was a ***fail***, especially since I see your much smarter than that.

I do hope the help that my fellow forum members have provided helps though.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I'm with Darkside on this.

I thought I was reading the transcript incorrectly, and also said to myself that the tech was only trying to be helpful. I looks like the OP put words in the tech's mouth.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM

First of all, this tech support person wasn't as bad as you say she was. You brought up throwing it away, not her. You were just being forceful and angsty, do you have any concept on talking with people?

Secondly, format the player. Or you could try deleting the incompatible files and using a Library Update. Formatting will turn it back to it's state where it can work properly, but no files will be on it. You'll have to put all your files on there again.

Also, why the hell were you putting all those documents on there in different formats in the first place? This is why they recommend that you use Emodio to transfer files, since it won't let incompatible files through. If you don't like Emodio (most don't), just use common sense not to put incompatible files on there.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
If you don't like Emodio (most don't), just use common sense not to put incompatible files on there.
i would agree, but the last statement is purely ridiculous - not the user, but the firmware developer should use common sense: if there is an UMS option this means that ANYTHING could be put to ANY folder. Such exceptions MUST be handled by the firmware code.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

The point of this thread seems to be mostly to badmouth a customer service rep that while not overly informed didn't in any way tell you to throw you device away. It's also considered bad manners to have your first post on a forum be a link to another site, it can easily be seen as spam. If you registered to get help with the problem you can post a new topic about it, but if you only registered to badmouth the CS rep that's not what this site is for. Thread closed

Closed Thread