android
Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Default Transfering files taking forever on s639f

I just got my NWZ-S639F today and I'm transfering my songs on to it but the dam thing is so freaking' slow. Should it take over an hour to transfer 1450 songs? My ipod touch use to do it in like 5 minutes. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium and a USB 2.0 port.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild View Post
I just got my NWZ-S639F today and I'm transfering my songs on to it but the dam thing is so freaking' slow. Should it take over an hour to transfer 1450 songs? My ipod touch use to do it in like 5 minutes. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium and a USB 2.0 port.
My two Sony players take a long time too. I think the culprit is the player's internal flash memory is slow.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
My two Sony players take a long time too. I think the culprit is the player's internal flash memory is slow.
So in other words Sony gave us a cheap ass flash memory? I would have thought them better than that. The last time I had a memory card this slow was an 8GB SD card I bought off of ebay for $5 made in China. I threw that thing away because it was so slow. This isn't much different except that I paid $100 for this device.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The sound quality is so good it's still a great deal.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM

That's another thing though. I can't really tell that much of a difference in the sound quality between this player and the ipod touch. I also don't like the headphones that came with it but my Sony MDR-A35 sounds good on it. I still think it's good for the price though.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You haven't experimented with the custom EQ or the ClearBass, have you?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm still experimenting. Trying diffrent settings. Still learning.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wrathchild: Welcome to ABi... :-)

Pretty new to the Sony mp3 devices myself, but I must admit I am very impressed with the sound quality [though I am not a real expert]. Marv is right - the EQ on the Sony's work very well. They have real [beneficial] impacts on the sound - definitely play around with the settings: I think you will be pleasantly surprised and easily find a setting that you love. And this is coming from a guy with tons of mp3 player experience who, until recently, eschewed using EQ [mostly cause I was too lazy].

As for your OP on XFer speed...there were threads on folks with S and E series devices as I recall, where some people were trying to sync waaaay too much music to the device at one shot - like hundreds and hundreds of songs at a time. What was happening is the syncs would crap out.

I suggested that they reduce the number of songs they are trying to sync to 100 or so at a time. This is what I do/did when I first populated my E series - those other folks seemed to have resolved their sync/crash issues in this manner. Also, e.g., it takes me approximately 3-5 mins to sync around 500MB worth of mp3 to my E series under MTP via Winamp. Certainly not the greatest speed, but slow and steady and I have never had a failed/incomplete sync/xfer. And now I only sync at maximum 100 songs at a pop. My feeling is that these devices are not designed primarily as data transfer devices with superfast throughput - I personally can deal with a reasonable amount of slowness during my xfers.

IMO, this is not really a negative hit against the Sony E/S devices [and possibly your S 639F]...for this price point, given the capacity, build quality, form factor, battery life and most importantly, the SQ you get, I don't necessarily hate Sony for "skimping" a bit on the flash memory speed [provided that doesn't come at the expense of long term read/write cycles if they did indeed to go with "tier 2" flash memory].

In any event, these low to middle price range players are great values AFAIAC. :-)

cheers and enjoy the S639F...Folks seem to generally love that sucker!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

I understood that it was because Sonys use MTP that transfer rate is slow... It took ages to transfer stuff over to my 32Gb.

All I do now is swap out the occasional album, so it's no big deal.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM

If we imagine 1450 songs of 3.5 minutes at ~192kbps, we figure ~7,5GB of data. So 1 hour transfer will mean 2.1~2.2MB/s. I think that's the usual Walkman speed. This is not Sony's strongest point, but maybe the best of the money is spent on the audio side of the circuit board...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

meetooman: heh, your numbers actually kinda jive with my own untested observations thus far. :-)

Agree, probably more cash spent on the primary function of the Walkman's.

cheers!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Well although I was disappointed in the transfer speed, I have to admit the little guy is growing on me. Yes I did find the right setting to satisfy my ears and I'm a happy camper now. And since all my music is installed now I just have to worry about any new albums I put on it so I can live with the transfer speed at this point.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild View Post
Well although I was disappointed in the transfer speed, I have to admit the little guy is growing on me. Yes I did find the right setting to satisfy my ears and I'm a happy camper now. And since all my music is installed now I just have to worry about any new albums I put on it so I can live with the transfer speed at this point.
See, we told you so...

Seriously, it's a nice little device...Enjoy it!

cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies