android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi2

Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Page Zen X-Fi2: The Picture Magaine, A new E-Zine on the Zen X-Fi2

Well if you dont go to Xeroo then you may not know this. All my know-ho is tied up in journalism. It's kinda hard to want to make games when you have to write for Future Publishing you know.

So what I have done is worked out a format for a E-Zine to work on the Zen X-Fi2 without any extra software needed. It's build with JPegs at a rez of 400/240 and I use a 10 or 9 dpi Font for main text meaning it is something you should be able to read on the machine itself without giving yourself a headache.

The plan behide it is to give more focus on the machine (Yes, I'm pimping it on a Zen X-Fi2 forum, I know... BUT It's also on my personal blog which gets about 10,000 views per month mainy from PC Gamers- Who hate Apple. Full Stop). It mixes up reviews of games that anyone can download (via here or Xeroo), with features, interviews, help and so on.

Right now the Xeroo website is going to be it's home. After the first issue is out on the website and if there is enough call for it I will upload it here too. If you want to write something of the ezine PM me and we can work something out- or if you want to do a interview let me know. I'm after you guys, The DEVS!! Anyho, have fun

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I've seen this one being talked about on Xeroo and also seen your blog post about it and I find the idea to be superb!
The intention is to put these 400x240 images in folders and be viewed with the picture viewer just as any images, right?
I think the interviews may be a cool thing to include also, we have a lot of awesome people here and they probably have something to tell, if asked the right questions =P

One thing though, I think this thread belongs more in the general X-Fi2 section, not the development section. Because it isn't only going to be about development, right? Depending on what you've planned I'll move it or keep it here.

Nice initiative!
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM

To be fair, I kinda thought I was in the gen' X-Fi2 forum not the dev (whoops), but I'm kinda glad I would like to get some of the devs onboard for interviews. I guess I have more chance of it being seen here by them... Maybe?

Funny thing is; I have already started on issue 2 which looks alot nicer and I have given alot more room to everything.

On the subject of File names- It's "Page 1.jpeg", then "Page 2.jpeg" and so fourth so you should just be able to view the pages on your machine, slide your fingure to the next page!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vil7ree View Post
To be fair, I kinda thought I was in the gen' X-Fi2 forum not the dev (whoops), but I'm kinda glad I would like to get some of the devs onboard for interviews. I guess I have more chance of it being seen here by them... Maybe?

Funny thing is; I have already started on issue 2 which looks alot nicer and I have given alot more room to everything.

On the subject of File names- It's "Page 1.jpeg", then "Page 2.jpeg" and so fourth so you should just be able to view the pages on your machine, slide your fingure to the next page!
Then I'll move it and let there be a redirect link for a week, besides I think most active developers also check the general section.

And naming them like that would work indeed, and if placed in a separate folder then they would be easily accessed.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Nice little side note- Xeroo has started to set up the "X-Zine" (I noticed! lol) with the cover on the main page. I looked at the cover now and I think- wow the 2nd issue's cover looks so much better...

**EDIT The "X-Zine" is now online at http://www.xeroo.net/?page=ezine Enjoy**

Last edited by 3vil7ree; 04-10-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

E-Zine, Great idea. Looking forward to next release.
Best thing on picture format is, that it can use any graphic layout and images. You could, (if you want), use even bigger pages than 400/240, because Zen can zoom and scroll images.
I read the first edition, and i liked it.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:19 PM

I think it's good to keep the 400x240 size, unless you make it bigger and still keep all text and such in a font which is readable when fully zoomed out, because I like being able to just flip through it.

EDIT: You may want to look into another way of laying out the "score" you give. Being down where it is now it almost looks like a page number or such, especially with the small font it's in.
(Also just in case you decide to review Black Jack, wait until V2 is released, I've got the code done, just waiting for some images to be done before release)

Last edited by Habhome; 04-11-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 PM

On the 2nd issue- I have already started on it. The issue you have read is more or less a "test the water" copy. As far as the picture size, I don't want to have the need for scrolling and when the next issue comes out (last day of the month- Yes I have a deadline) you'll see more pages on reviews (I come to that next), the feature I'm working on is at least 11 pages. Most reviews hould be between 2 to 4 pages. Last on the main bulk subect, the font has been changed to 9dpi, I know its only one step down but this means I can get most things done before you have to change page.

The reviews format is going to change. To start I'm am changing the score format to out of a 100%, like I score for most PC Magazine in print. Taking note from you Habhome, I am moving the score to the middle of the page, in a bigger font to make it stand out. You make a good point.

Oh and I'm happy you guys have enjoyed it so far.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Looking forward to the 2nd issue, this is a really nice initiative, to utilize your skills to contribute to the X-Fi2 community, or what to call it.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:12 PM

If you want to see a sneak preview, I have uploaded the cover art for issue 2 onto my personal blog (http://jelly-jake.livejournal.com/)