android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 AM

Default R1 experience

I have used my R1 for 1 month after having had a yp-t7 for 2 years (it's still around btw) and a T10 for 1 year (broken display ). I'm using firmware 3.03.
What I like:
  • great price for the feature set:
  • audio/video player
  • OGG and UMS compatibility
  • FM tuner (with RDS)
  • recorder
  • capacity
  • good compromise of size vs screen size, thx to the touch display no space is required for buttons, allowing viewing movies while the device can fit in mostly any pocket. I said mostly, because for my footing I'd still prefer a smaller device like the T7.
  • user interface is stylish and efficient.
  • firmware is stable
  • can actually display SD divx. I still reencode them so they take less space.
  • flash compatibility, though I haven't tested it much
What I don't like:
  • the power/lock button is too small, providing little feedback. I'd prefer a three-position toggle
  • the interface is exclusively touch-driven, except for sound level setting. With the T7 I could change radio stations, go forward-backward and most importantly, pause the playback through a shirt or a pocket.
  • the touch interface is sometimes not precise enough, eg the continuous "press" allows to go fwd/bck inside a track but sometimes the firmware only catches the finger release and understands a single touch, therefore going to the next/prev track.
  • proprietary connector; hopefully I could re-use the two I had with the T10. However a standard mini-usb as on the T7 is obviously better.
  • useless UI gadgets, which can hopefully be configured out
  • being able to add native apps would be great, eg a calculator would be an obvious nice add-on, as well as HTML/PDF viewers

Last edited by eric957; 04-12-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: 1 more thing