android
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Default firmware problem - windows 7

I hope someone can assist me with this problem and get my Zen back in working order!

Several months ago, the hard drive on my 30 GB crashed. As a result, every time I turned it on, it would "rebuild" the library for a couple of minutes but after that I could listen to music. However, I lost all videos and pictures and some songs were gone. I could not add any new content but I wasn't willing to format it and lose what I had and start from scratch. This past week though I had enough and decided to try and restore it. I went into the Startup screen and formatted the system but I also foolishly deleted the Firmware, so now I have the "Firmware Problem". I loaded the Creative software as I thought that might help but it didn't.

It was at this point I tried to Google a solution, which pointed me to this site as well as others. I have read through numerous posts on this issue and I found that most recommended to use a PC with Windows XP and WMP 10. I did try on another PC with Win XP and Media Player 9, but when I connected the Zen to that computer, it was not recognized. Same issue with my current Windows 7 system.

I am currenlty running on Windows 7 with WMP 12. I have downloaded the current firmware update file from the Creative website. I cannot get the "Upgrade" button to be active when the player is connected. When I connect the player to my computer, the player says "Docked". When I go to the Firmware Update screen and then connect it, I don't get the docked message and hence I cannot update the firmware.

Please note that I have removed the Creative software as I read after the fact on this forum that I shouldn't have installed it in the first place! However, I really don't know what to do now and could use some help! Please advise!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The fact that your player docks when plugged in is a good sign. It means that your computer recognizes your player and has completed a successful handshake with it.

As for the firmware updater not working, I have two suggestions: First, verify that you are using the correct firmware file for your device. 60GB firmware will not work with 30GB ZVMs, and vice versa. Also be sure that the firmware is for a ZVM and not a Zen or any other model. You would be amazed how often this happens.

Once you are sure you have the correct firmware file, and it still does not work, then try re-launching the updater in compatibility mode (either XP or Vista mode).

Old 04-11-2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

This is the file I am using: ZENVisionM_30GB_PCFW_L21_1_62_02.exe
I have the 30 GB Zen vision M so this is the correct file I assume.

I tried the Compatibility Wizard. It ran the updater under Windows XP Service Pack 2, but it did not make a difference as the "Upgrade" button was disabled and it had a message asking me to connect the player. I tried all sorts of combinations (ie. restarting the zen, unplugging it first then plugging it after running the updater, etc..) and nothing worked!

Any other suggestions, or do I now have a fancy paperweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
The fact that your player docks when plugged in is a good sign. It means that your computer recognizes your player and has completed a successful handshake with it.

As for the firmware updater not working, I have two suggestions: First, verify that you are using the correct firmware file for your device. 60GB firmware will not work with 30GB ZVMs, and vice versa. Also be sure that the firmware is for a ZVM and not a Zen or any other model. You would be amazed how often this happens.

Once you are sure you have the correct firmware file, and it still does not work, then try re-launching the updater in compatibility mode (either XP or Vista mode).

Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Xp computer you have access to just install WMP10 & you should be able to execute the firmware reload on that one.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM

I could try that. As I said I tried it on an XP computer before with WMP 9. If WMP 10 really can make a difference I will give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
The Xp computer you have access to just install WMP10 & you should be able to execute the firmware reload on that one.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The requirement is WMP10/XP/SP2 for installing that firmware & some others as well.