android
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 AM

Default Zen X-Fi2 takes over 1 min to boot

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with the problem that my X-Fi2 takes well over 1 min to boot every time I turn it on. It comes up with the creative logo, then ZEN. It then flashes once and stays on the ZEN screen for over and min before going to the main menu. I have reloaded the latest firmware multiple times which hasn't solved the problem. I also downloaded the mp3 recovery tool hoping to format my player, but it just kept reinstalling the firmware. Is there a way of formatting as I think this might help. I have everything backed up.

Many thanks in advance.
Joe

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 AM

that's strange...
have you tried to delete every mp3-photo-video-app from it and then boot it?
have you tried a scandisk from your pc on the x-fi2 memory?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM

Just manually took all of the music off it and it's now booting in about 10 seconds, which i guess would be about normal. Loading it back up now to see what happens.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll post again when It's all back on.

Joe

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM

i hope everything's all right now

Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi again,
Just got back from hols. Unfortunately it still isn't fixed. After loading up all my music again, the boot time has gone back up to 1 min. This is very tedious every time I want to play music.
Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Many Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Have you tried formatting it yet? I know you said you thought that might help, but it doesn't seem like anyone told you how. You can find instructions here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=52875

Old 04-05-2010, 04:23 PM

I had the exact same problem. Firmware upgrades and formatting did not alleviate the problem once I copied all of my files back to the player. I then suspected that perhaps some file(s) on the player was causing the problem. I noticed I still had a large .wav file (~200MB) in the "Recorded" folder from when I had played with that feature months ago. I removed it, and now the player starts up within a few seconds. If I copy the file back to the player, the startup once again takes ~1 minute.

If you have any exceptionally large files on the player, you might try removing them and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM

Hello again,
I did have quite a few large files on there, 6 music files around 180MB each due to them being mixes. I also had around 15, 150MB video files. After taking these off my player does start up under 10 seconds. Surely the Zen X-Fi2 is made though to handle files of this size. I was still like these files on my mp3 player but can't due to the slow start up. I have contacted customer services with this problem and I will keep this thread updated. Many thanks for the help

Joe

Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM

I only think the music is the culprit here, I have many 150+MB video files on my player, and it boots up normally.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTShoe View Post
I had the exact same problem. Firmware upgrades and formatting did not alleviate the problem once I copied all of my files back to the player. I then suspected that perhaps some file(s) on the player was causing the problem. I noticed I still had a large .wav file (~200MB) in the "Recorded" folder from when I had played with that feature months ago. I removed it, and now the player starts up within a few seconds. If I copy the file back to the player, the startup once again takes ~1 minute.

If you have any exceptionally large files on the player, you might try removing them and see if that fixes the problem.
Holy gingersnaps this fixed the problem for me!
I was experiencing the same problem and funnily enough i had also been using the Mic Recording feature and still had a couple of files on the player that i thought i had deleted. After finally deleting them for good the start up times are back to normal.

A bit odd, but i am relieved it was not a bigger issue.