android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default Tool for deleting ._ files in Mac OSX computers

Many people have noticed problems with their mp3 players and thumb drives when using Mac OSX. It seems they're running out of memory when it's clear they should have a large amount of free space on the device. The problem is that the Mac puts another file for each file on your device when you eject the drive. These files are called double files, the Mac uses them so it can remember inane and unnecessary things like the size of the icon, and where the icon was in the folder, etc. It will be a hidden file of nearly the same name starting with '._' for every file on your removable drive or mp3 player.

I've written a program that will delete all of the files these start with ._ that OSX puts on removable media.

Using this program, you simply select the device you want to eject (after you have moved your songs to it) and it will delete any ._ files the Mac has added and will safely eject the device from your Macbook. Because there is NO WAY to stop the Mac from doing this every time you plug the device in, you need to use it every time you disconnect the device. It works for any mp3 player, thumb drive, or flash card. I use this program to eject anything from my Macbook that isn't a CD. It's got a built in failsafe so you can't accidentally delete your whole hard drive or something silly like that.

As always, this software is my property and while it's free, I ask that you don't redistribute it without asking me first. Also, I am not liable or responsible if this breaks your computer or doesn't work for you.

Download the .zip file and unzip it. Mount the .dmg and drag the 'Crumb Free Eject' to the application folder.

This program requires automator to run correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ejectdriveapp.dmg.zip (198.1 KB, 347 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]