android
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Tagging Multiple Artists?

Hello, I just got the P3 about a week back. Thing's awesome. I normally use MediaMonkey to organize my music, and I use the semicolon to seperate multiple artists within a track.

The p3 doesn't read it nor does it see '/' '\\' '\'. It gets annoying when there are like five featured artists on a song and I haven't a clue who to tag. I can live without it, but maybe I overlooked something? Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM

Maybe new firmware? Hope that works.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, i simply do stuff like this:

Various Artists - Album Name - 01 - Song Name [with Artist One, Artist Two, Artist Three, etc as needed].mp3

for my filenames, making sure my ID3V1+V2 tags are correct.

trying to help and cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

I have the latest firmware, and it doesn't look like Samsung wants to do something.

To lestatar, I'm not sure what the file name has to do with anything, or do you use the music browser to go through your tracks? Though what I first gathered is to tag artists as "Various", which isn't that bad of an idea.

Maybe playlists could get it to get a track under different artists? Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey there: Unfortunately I have zero Samsung DAP experience. However I do use MediaMonkey to manage my music collection.

If the Samsungs are like most modern DAPs, proper/correctly formatted ID3 tags [written in the way you want your songs to have] is absolutely vital. Most modern DAPs get, read and display a given song's information from the ID3 tags [though some I am guessing may also get this info based of a mp3 file's actual filename].

In my example, the filename is representative exactly of the corresponding fields in the mp3 file's ID3 Tag. In other words, my tags for my example read as follows [with a real life example from my music collection]:

Filename:
Various Artists - Late Night Moods [Disc2] - 18 - All Night Long [George Shearing Quintet With Nancy Wilson].mp3

ID3 Tag Fields which generate this filename:
Artist = Various Artists
Album = Late Night Moods [Disc2]
Track Number = 18
[Song] Title = All Night Long [George Shearing Quintet With Nancy Wilson]

Of course, I also populate the Year, Genre and Comments Field as well for every track, but these do not contribute to mp3 file naming conventions.

By using this method, I am able to know exactly who appears on multiple or various artist CDs/compilation, without confusing the issue as to what CD they appear on.

For me, I want the CD tracks to stay together, since that's how they appear on the disc. So over the years, I have utilized this ID3 tagging method/file naming convention so that all my stuff with various artists are consistent across the board.

Because everything is consistent this way, MediaMonkey is able to display stuff in the most logical and orderly fashion [at least to me], and in the way that I want it to.

I am not sure if this helps you or confuses you - in truth, I am still not sure what your issue is [though I believe it is because of you using some characters in our filenames which Windows PCs do not like].

The other result is that any of these type tracks I sync to any of my DAPs all display the information on the screen correctly, again all because of the ID3 Tags.

Anyway, hope this helps...I can post a screen shot of part of my Various Artists portion of my music collection as displayed in MediaMonkey so you can see how I arrange stuff if you wish.

cheers and good luck!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Hey, I'm going to take your advice and use the Various Artists... method.

I'm sure your aware that in MediaMonkey, in the artist tag, if you place say a semicolon or a backslash between "Bob" and "Bill", then it will read it as two artists and organize it as such.

I was hoping this functionality existed in the P3, or any other media player for that matter. It's a small issue but I needed to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thank you good sir for the help.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@quantummechanics: Actually, no i was not aware of that - thanks for the tip/info!

However, it is not really relevant to me as I have already achieved the file tagging protocol I wish to have for my 14k tracks...

It works for me as I described...but very glad indeed that MediaMonkey [awesome FREE app, btw] will be able to help fill your own needs!

cheers!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies