android
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Default NWZ-S544 Crashes my computer

Got my NWZ-S544 a month ago. Installed software and charged it up and all worked great. Now a month later when I connect it the computer crashes when it tries to access the software. I CAN plug it in and charge it at the log on screen and all is good. I deleted the software and tried to reinstall it but it crashed as soon as I started. I'm running a Windows Vista.
Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The solution seems simple enough to me.....don't install the Sony software on your computer. You really don't need it anyways.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Access what software?

The S-544 does not Auto-Boot any software modules on your PC, it only comes pre-installed with ContentTransfer which YOU have to run yourself.

Solution? Delete ContentTransfer off the Walkman (and uninstall it) and use your S-544 as a Mass Storage Device. Easy. That way all you have to do is drag and drop the music files you want to your Walkman.

Right-Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager>MTP Devices>WALKMAN>Right-Click>Properties>Driver Tab>Update Driver>Select "No, not this time" in the new Hardware Update Window & Next>Install from a list or specific location & Next>Don't Search & Next>Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware" and choose Mass Storage Device>Hit Next.

That's it.

Last edited by Amar89; 05-05-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar89 View Post
Access what software?

The S-544 does not Auto-Boot any software modules on your PC, it only comes pre-installed with ContentTransfer which YOU have to run yourself.

Solution? Delete ContentTransfer off the Walkman (and uninstall it) and use your S-544 as a Mass Storage Device. Easy. That way all you have to do is drag and drop the music files you want to your Walkman.

Right-Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager>MTP Devices>WALKMAN>Right-Click>Properties>Driver Tab>Update Driver>Select "No, not this time" in the new Hardware Update Window & Next>Install from a list or specific location & Next>Don't Search & Next>Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware" and choose Mass Storage Device>Hit Next.

That's it.
When I tried the MSC configuration, my S545 was dead to the world for 3 days. Finally, on the 3rd day, I tried plugging it into the AC power one last time, and it came back to life. I've left it as the default MTP ever since, and it's worked perfectly.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
When I tried the MSC configuration, my S545 was dead to the world for 3 days. Finally, on the 3rd day, I tried plugging it into the AC power one last time, and it came back to life. I've left it as the default MTP ever since, and it's worked perfectly.
Unlucky buddy.

Just a question, did you bother to restart your PC after installing the MSC driver?
Mine wouldn't turn on for a minute or two until I hit reset, since then it's been purring like a kitten.

MTP is just plain restrictive, I mean there's no real advantage it has over MSC, and it has that Nazi-like, iTunes behaviour that I can't stand.

I'm constantly copying stuff off my Walkman and stuff onto it (I used it as a USB drive so to speak), hence I need MSC.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't remember if I restarted the PC or not....that was a while ago.
I understand MSC vs. MTP....every player I've had that gives me the choice(Sansas and Samsung), I've selected MSC. But after that experience with my S545, I've left it alone.....along with my E345.

I have an 8GB thumb drive, plus a 24GB MSC-capable Sansa Clip+, so my Sonys are fine the way they are.