android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi2

Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Default Creative Zen X-FI2 just some questions regarding player

Based on reviews i've been reading online as well as older forum posts.

Pros :
- High quality sound (X-FI system)
- Good value for a decent PMP (120 for 8gb vs other players that go for alot more)
- Sleek finish
- Comes with great headphones
- Plays a variety of media files (Xvid, DivX4/5, MPEG4 etc).
- plays FLAC (even though i don't have any)
- Has HD capabilities (confirm?)

Cons :
- Unresponsive touch screen (compared to ipod touch / zune but firmware fixes has made it slightly better?)
- Screen bruises (seems often though it doesn't really affect people if you can't see it if player is lit)
- From an older forum post -> random shut offs etc.
- Clunky interface (though the firmware fixes of the player as shown in videos seems to make it smoother)

My questions i want to asked based on what i gathered would be. Some more feedback would be appreciated

1) Screen responsive-ness seems to be alright from videos and someone said on callibration you can set it by how sensitive you touch the dots so you don't have to apply pressure
2) Does the screen bruises really make the player difficult to tolerate (seeing bruises constantly), i have bruises scratches etc on my DS and i seems fine when the back light is lit
3) Interface runs more smoother now ? Maybe not as smooth as the iPOD touch but not like the first video of the interface when X-FI2 released?
4) Does the player still randomly shut off, or was it just because they recieved faulty hardware (the player)
5) If my videos on my computer are Xvid format (namely anime, and lets say the format is a compatible one with the player) and it is 1024x786 resolution, can i play it on my player (drag and drop) or do i have to resize it?
6) All files can be transferred through windows interface of drag and drop, no need to use centrale? (like how iPODs require itunes, my old muvo was simply drag and drop like a USB stick)

Thanks guys, I have already ordered my X-FI2, just waiting on it to arrive, I don't really care about comparisons between iPOD touch and Zune to the X-FI2, even if the touchscreen isnt the best i still prefer the creative player (more affordable), I just wanted to clear up some questions

The random shut downs worries me though

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Well first of all not everyone thinks the x-fi system improves the sound. But I think you've already come across such discussions in your search.

The rest of your "pro" points are valid I think, except for the last one: Where did you read that it has HD capabilities..? It can play videos with a maximum resolution of 640*480, and it's screensize is 400*240.

I'd like to see where you got this information from, because maybe I'm missing something?

The firmware updates have made very big improvements in the responsiveness of the touchscreen, as well as the smoothness of the interface. I can't complain about it anymore, but it stays a resistive touchscreen. When I use a player that has a capacitive touchscreen (such as the ipod) it feels more comfortable and easier to use. But that is just due to the type of touchscreen that has it's limitations..

If your player has bruises on the screen, it should be covered under warranty I guess. It's not something to consider or expect from this player.

1) I also read somewhere that the calibration affects the sensitivity of the touch. But I don't think this is true. Calibration only lets the player know where the touchscreen is, relative to the display underneath it. I do hope that it also sets the pressure you must apply, but I don't think it does this.. can anyone correct or confirm this?

2) I don't have bruises so I can't answer this one, but I think you should just ask for a replacement when you receive a player that has bruises that you didn't make yourself by molesting the screen.

3) Yes, exactly as you say

4) I guess the latter (faulty hardware), and that would fall under warranty. Haven't experienced this error myself though.

5) You wil have to resize it, since the player supports a video resolution up to 640*480. Also make sure that the format of the audio stream is supported by the player.

6) That's right, you don't need to install Centrale. Windows will see your player as an external disk. Which is great because you can use it on any computer as a regular usbstick.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM

First off as Brett_val said, I'm unsure where you got the HD info from. The max res is as he has told you, 640x480.

1) Responsiveness have become better, yes. But it is still a resistive touch screen. Let me draw a parallel to iTouch here, the iTouch have won most of it's fame due to how smooth it is running and how responsive it is, this is because they have used every interface trick there is to make SOMETHING happen as soon as you nudge the screen, so it seems really responsive but the fact may be that it computes just as fast as most other players, it just priorities the feedback to the user.

2) I have no bruises on mine so I cannot tell.

3) See 1) about my iTouch reference. But well, it takes half a second at times before the screen shows the affect of your touch and enter where you want and so, and as almost all players (except the iTouch where they somehow magically have found a way to prevent this with some l33t programmers) it lags behind in scrolling through lists by a little little while, especially noticeable if you drag quickly back and forth.

4) Mine have never shut off randomly unless I crash it completely with a fault app I've made xD

5) You will have to resize it. And it is recommended you lower the bitrate to ~800 for really smooth playback.

6) Yes, if they are compatible with the player you only need to drag and drop. I'm unsure about playlists though, those might have to be created through centrale, but you can make them with some work on the player. Also it is sorting the song by ID3 tags, so make sure they have those.

Hope that helped, if there's anything else don't hesitate to ask any of us here.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM

I read that centrale isn't a very solid software, as for HD format it was on some random sites i been looking at about reviews, i might've read wrong.

Also about the playlist the ID3 tags, if my music has none, does that mean it won't be sorted the way i want it to be? if i want to sort my music to proper sequence i have to add ID3 tags?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 AM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattye112 View Post
I read that centrale isn't a very solid software, as for HD format it was on some random sites i been looking at about reviews, i might've read wrong.

Also about the playlist the ID3 tags, if my music has none, does that mean it won't be sorted the way i want it to be? if i want to sort my music to proper sequence i have to add ID3 tags?
This is true as the player won't know where to put the tracks! It is very easy to add ID3 tags to your music, you can do it within Centrale or with most other media programs, such as Windows Media Player.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattye112 View Post

If you have no ID3 tag at all I think it'll sort it under "unknown artist" and then the file name.
And it is true that Centrale isn't very stable, I've actually never been able to transfer a single track with it, I have no clue where I go wrong but it isn't working, and it's real slow also and can't even see my entire anime library of vids. So I just boycott it and convert my videos with third party softwares and drag and drop with windows explorer.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Well just got my player today, works like a charm, touchscreen isn't as unbearable as people make it out to be, i seem to be using it perfectly fine with minimal pressure however i dislike the fact that i sometimes click into something i didn't wanna go into T_T

no random shutdown, screens great, with a screen cover more protective.
Sounds great with X-FI on at 75%, you can notice the difference when you turn it on and off more clarity, expander is on 0.

used handbrake, video playback is fine, no broken pixels, colours are nice, however my video is somewhat static when volumes at 12, maybe on the converter the bitrate may be a tad too high but other than that i can just play around with the program and it should be great!

ID3 tags and sorting the mp3's i have never really bugged me, i mean my old iPOD most the songs had unknown artist, im not picky and i don't really care about album art since most the time the player will be in my pocket.

The lock feature is kinda annoying, sometimes if i drag it too fast it just resets >_> but then again just need to practise on it. other than that completely satisfied great purchase for only 130 AUD (8gb)