android
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Default S544 Walkman Problems?

Does the S544 have any known problems? I'm deciding whether or not to get warranty or just a silicon case for it. I'll be using this with my AUX cord in my car for awhile too, does it have any problems with that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM

The only common complaint you will find about the S-544/545 on these forums is that it's $20 bucks more expensive than the E-345, which is virtually identical to it (just older, smaller, only 30 hour battery life and no external speakers).

SOME European buyers report that due to EU Volume Restrictions on Mp3 Players, their S-545's volume is incredibly muted compared to the American version, but it doesn't seem to be a uniform complaint.
Unless you live in the European Union, this won't be a problem for you.

There are no hardware/software glitches, bugs, crashes or freezes that I'm aware of.

I've had the 16Gb version (S-545) for 6 months now and it's absolutely perfect. Terrific sound quality, loud as hell and bottomless battery.

I also got the silicon case as well, although I will admit it's a bit flimsy and has way too many holes/cut-outs in it for the speakers and ports (which allow dust/dirt to get in).
But it does greatly protect your Walkman from scratches and it comes with a peel-on, screen protector which is fairly good for keep moisture, smudges and dirt off the screen.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Unhappy major malfunction

My S544 that I bought in December has refused to power on since about a month ago. It was a great little player while it lasted, but I expected to get a lot more use out of it than just four months!

Also, I wanted to use it in the car, plugging it into the AUX port on the car stereo, but I always got weird buzzing sounds through the car speakers when I did that. Other players (a Samsung and a Creative) using the same cable and car stereo give clear sound without the annoying buzz.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Jokuki:

Amar89 did a great job describing the basic differences between the Sony S and E series. They are indeed identical in terms of sound characteristics, EQ, physical sizes, etc. The S also adds FM/Voice recording if you need that stuff.

I have an E and pretty much love it - not perfect, but pretty great overall.

You can indeed save a few bucks by opting for the E - I personally prefer the E's look and form factor/size over the S. I found the S to be much bigger and thicker - a bit better battery life for the S, true, but the E is no slouch here either.

EDIT: btw, to answer the post topic...I have not heard of any problems with the S or the E as far as I can recall. My own E has behaved perfectly for the 5 months I have had it...

good luck!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 05-18-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 PM

If you are buying it new won't it come with a 1 yr warranty? What is the price and terms of the warranty you are considering buying? I've heard the S544 is slow to transfer music.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

bascom...good point re: warranty! Hopefully the person with the issue has attempted to resolve it with Sony/their point of purchase.

re: music transfer speeds. Can you define "slow"? I have no issues with speed of music transfer/copy to my E on any of my WinXP SP2 machines using Winamp + MTP. Not the fastest [yes, I think a tad bit slower than MSC or card reader for my Fuze], but not horribly slow for me either.

Never timed it, but I seem to recall copying 5-6CDs worth of full albums [med-high bitrate LAMEs] to my E and it only took maybe 2-4 mins? Will definitely time the process next time I refresh my E. :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
If you are buying it new won't it come with a 1 yr warranty? What is the price and terms of the warranty you are considering buying? I've heard the S544 is slow to transfer music.
Both the E345 and S545 are slow to load, true. My Clip+ loads very fast in comparison....some of this is due to the MTP(Sony) vs. MSC (Sansa), but I actually think some of it has to do with the Sony internal flash memory....I suspect it is of an older, slower variety....which could partly explain how inexpensive they are.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Marv :-)
Hmmm, I should time my own transfer speeds at some point, since I have both the Fuze8GB and the Sony E.

So lazy though and I am happy with my current rotation of music on the devices. And of course, i have like only 30MB free on both devices atm...muahahahahaha...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey Marv :-)
Hmmm, I should time my own transfer speeds at some point, since I have both the Fuze8GB and the Sony E.

So lazy though and I am happy with my current rotation of music on the devices. And of course, i have like only 30MB free on both devices atm...muahahahahaha...
Just looked.....8.1MB free on my E...and I have about 22.5GB of music on the Clip+, and keep about 200MB free for podcasts. The S has 4 or 5 GB free, I think.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Hi,
The transfer speed on Sony's recent Walkman lines seems to be consistently around 2.1-2.5 MB/s. So count 8 minutes for 1GB, or 30 seconds for 1 hour worth of music data.
I would add that the S540 support more video codecs. I've just tried a MPEG4 video podcast yesterday. This show would not play on the WMV-only E345.