android
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Default A few quick questions

So I just got my S545 today... and I've been playing around with MediaMonkey for a few days now. It's a pretty confusing switch from iPod + iTunes.

1. Is there a way to add individual files to MediaMonkey, instead of full folders?
2. Is there a quick option to delete all duplicate songs on MediaMonkey?
3. My S545 flashes the time and date every 10 seconds or so. Can I disable this? Can I force it to flash the time? (pressing a button on hold displays the hold message, pressing without hold displays the standard screen)
4. Why don't my playlists sync?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM

I will provide what help I can (the following assumes you are using MediaMonkey Gold):

1. Is there a way to add individual files to MediaMonkey, instead of full folders?

I don't see a direct way to add individual songs to MediaMonkey (MM). However, it is easy to setup MM to allow you to easily add individual songs.

What I do is have one folder for all of the songs that MM will use and have MM monitor and auto-organize that folder (and only that folder). When I want to add an individual song or multiple songs I just drag and drop or copy the song(s) into the folder. MM will automatically add the songs to its library and organize them per your settings.

2. Is there a quick option to delete all duplicate songs on MediaMonkey?

MM does have two options, under "Files to Edit" on the Node List on the left side of the screen.

- Duplicate Titles: This will show all of the songs with the same name

- Duplicate Content: Per the Help Files, this will find songs with the same audio signature.

You can use these functions to select and delete the songs that you don't want.

3. My S545 flashes the time and date every 10 seconds or so. Can I disable this? Can I force it to flash the time? (pressing a button on hold displays the hold message, pressing without hold displays the standard screen)

I have a different Sony player than you, but it sounds like this is the screensaver function. With that in mind, you could try going to "Settings" >> "Common Settings" >> "Screensaver." If it's like my player, you can change the settings (I have mine set to go to a blank screen after 15 seconds).

4. Why don't my playlists sync?

With MM you have to select the playlists that you want synced to your player. The following will allow you to do this:
  • On the menu select "Tools" >> "Options"
  • On the Options window, select "Portable/Audio Devices" from the list on the left.
  • Select your player from the list of available devices. A device profile window will appear.
  • Click on the "Device configuration" tab and ensure that "Copy playlists" is checked. You only have to do this one time.
  • Select the Playlist tab. This will give you a list of your playlists.
  • Check the playlists you want sent to your player. Note: At the bottom of the Device Profile window it will tell you how much will be synced to your player (number of songs, total space, and total running time)
  • Close the windows.
When you sync your player with MM the playlists you selected should be sent to your player.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey FriendlyArab:

CDMP3PlayerFan has basically given you the bible on MediaMonkey and the Sony S. Awesome tips and info!

As a alternate, I suggest trying Winamp as well. For whatever reason, on all my WinXP SP2 systems, Winamp integrates better with my Sony E. Copying massive amount of songs or single songs is a snap. Playlist creation is also a simple right click in Winamp.

I love MediaMonkey - it is my music manager of choice for my entire 14k mp3 collection. But Winamp seems to play a bit better with my Sony E and several other of my DAPs.

Congrats, good luck and enjoy!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey FriendlyArab:

CDMP3PlayerFan has basically given you the bible on MediaMonkey and the Sony S. Awesome tips and info!

As a alternate, I suggest trying Winamp as well. For whatever reason, on all my WinXP SP2 systems, Winamp integrates better with my Sony E. Copying massive amount of songs or single songs is a snap. Playlist creation is also a simple right click in Winamp.

I love MediaMonkey - it is my music manager of choice for my entire 14k mp3 collection. But Winamp seems to play a bit better with my Sony E and several other of my DAPs.

Congrats, good luck and enjoy!
-lestatar
Lucky.. For some reason winamp crashes whenever I open it while my walkman is plugged in somehow

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

jjrosaria: Wondering...did you install any updated MTP porting kit on your machine? I did and I suspect that is why Winamp works perfectly with me.

I installed the porting kit on one of my WinXP machines because I didn't want to upgrade/install WMP 10/11.

Google MTP porting kit from MS...maybe help you?

EDIT:
here is the link to MS MTP Porting Kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 05-14-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Thanks for that, CDMP3PlayerFan. Wish I could rep.

On a side note, is there a custom firmware available for the S545? Its organization skills are becoming a little more annoying than expected. Unless someone has a better way to go about this problem:

I have a huge folder full of classical music. It is from many different composers. If I try to put this on the S545, then obviously it will add an influx of classical composers to the artists list. The artists list is what I primarily use to browse... On the iPod I did not have this problem, I could simply add them all to a "compilation" and it would show up even as a different category.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyarab View Post
Thanks for that, CDMP3PlayerFan. Wish I could rep.

On a side note, is there a custom firmware available for the S545? Its organization skills are becoming a little more annoying than expected. Unless someone has a better way to go about this problem:

I have a huge folder full of classical music. It is from many different composers. If I try to put this on the S545, then obviously it will add an influx of classical composers to the artists list. The artists list is what I primarily use to browse... On the iPod I did not have this problem, I could simply add them all to a "compilation" and it would show up even as a different category.
Concerning firmware, you could check the Sony website for an update. From what I've observed, firmware updates are rare for Sony Walkman players. I've not searched for custom firmware for my player since I've been happy with it as is.

What I do with classical music in MediaMonkey is the following:
  • For the artist I use the individual/group that actually performed the song. As an example, I have a CD called "Posnak Plays Chopin" where the performer is Paul Posnak so I use his name as the artist.
  • For the album artist I use the overall artist for the album. I have an album named "TV Classics" which features classical music pieces used on various television programs and commercials. Since each track on the album was performed by a different artist, I list the album artist as "Various Artists." Since I group my music in my music library by album artist, for me this works basically the same as checking the Compilation box in iTunes.
  • I use the composer tag to list the actual composer of the song (not just for classical music but for all music), allowing me to easily access all of a composer's music regardless of the artist.
Once tagged, you can use playlists to group music the way you want. As an example, you could create three playlists that allows you to access music by, respectively: J. S. Bach, C. P. E. Bach, and P. D. Q. Bach.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
Concerning firmware, you could check the Sony website for an update. From what I've observed, firmware updates are rare for Sony Walkman players. I've not searched for custom firmware for my player since I've been happy with it as is.

What I do with classical music in MediaMonkey is the following:
  • For the artist I use the individual/group that actually performed the song. As an example, I have a CD called "Posnak Plays Chopin" where the performer is Paul Posnak so I use his name as the artist.
  • For the album artist I use the overall artist for the album. I have an album named "TV Classics" which features classical music pieces used on various television programs and commercials. Since each track on the album was performed by a different artist, I list the album artist as "Various Artists." Since I group my music in my music library by album artist, for me this works basically the same as checking the Compilation box in iTunes.
  • I use the composer tag to list the actual composer of the song (not just for classical music but for all music), allowing me to easily access all of a composer's music regardless of the artist.
Once tagged, you can use playlists to group music the way you want. As an example, you could create three playlists that allows you to access music by, respectively: J. S. Bach, C. P. E. Bach, and P. D. Q. Bach.
I see... but have you ever considered using folders? MediaMonkey just isn't cutting it for me, and luckily I'm allowed to edit the Music folder directly, and the Walkman even recognizes the folders. Also, playlist still doesn't work for me.. this is where the option's supposed to be, right?: http://imgur.com/LAgCW.png

EDIT: ALSO, HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE PROBLEM. I did what you said and now I have a folder on my computer dedicated for MM music. But every time I add a new song and then click rescan, and then sync, it syncs the WHOLE library and takes an hour to basically add a few songs. What do?

Last edited by friendlyarab; 05-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
I see... but have you ever considered using folders? MediaMonkey just isn't cutting it for me, and luckily I'm allowed to edit the Music folder directly, and the Walkman even recognizes the folders. Also, playlist still doesn't work for me.. this is where the option's supposed to be, right?: http://imgur.com/LAgCW.png

EDIT: ALSO, HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE PROBLEM. I did what you said and now I have a folder on my computer dedicated for MM music. But every time I add a new song and then click rescan, and then sync, it syncs the WHOLE library and takes an hour to basically add a few songs. What do?
I haven't made use of folders. I find browsing by tags works much better for me.

I checked your graphic file and you are at the right screen. Just click on the Playlists tab to bring up the available playlists.

When it comes to adding songs to the library the way I descibed, I didn't have to rescan the library. While MediaMonkey (MM) was running I dropped a song into the library folder, when I returned to MM the new song was there.

I haven't had the same experience with scanning my entire library. I have MM set to scan and auto organize my entire library (approximately 17,500 files) when I start it and it usually takes less than 2 minutes to complete the scan.

The only time it does take a long time to complete a scan is if I make mass changes to my library. As an example, recently I set it to add the artist's name to the end of every song's file name and it took over an hour to scan my library and complete that task. Once that was accomplished, the subsequent scans took the normal amount of time.

In the same way, I haven't had the same issue with syncing my player with MM. My player's initial sync with MM (such when it was a new player, and after I have formatted it) does take a long time since it has to load all of the files on my player. Subsequent syncs take much less time since it only has to: (1) delete the unwanted songs, (2) load new and changed songs, and (3) update my playlists.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I haven't made use of folders. I find browsing by tags works much better for me.

I checked your graphic file and you are at the right screen. Just click on the Playlists tab to bring up the available playlists.

When it comes to adding songs to the library the way I descibed, I didn't have to rescan the library. While MediaMonkey (MM) was running I dropped a song into the library folder, when I returned to MM the new song was there.

I haven't had the same experience with scanning my entire library. I have MM set to scan and auto organize my entire library (approximately 17,500 files) when I start it and it usually takes less than 2 minutes to complete the scan.

The only time it does take a long time to complete a scan is if I make mass changes to my library. As an example, recently I set it to add the artist's name to the end of every song's file name and it took over an hour to scan my library and complete that task. Once that was accomplished, the subsequent scans took the normal amount of time.

In the same way, I haven't had the same issue with syncing my player with MM. My player's initial sync with MM (such when it was a new player, and after I have formatted it) does take a long time since it has to load all of the files on my player. Subsequent syncs take much less time since it only has to: (1) delete the unwanted songs, (2) load new and changed songs, and (3) update my playlists.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for all your help. I'll give MediaMonkey a few more tries.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. I'll give MediaMonkey a few more tries.
You are welcome. I hope MediaMonkey works for you.
MediaMonkey 4