android
Old 05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
...snipped....Like I said.....might not make sense to anyone else, but it works for me.
You're right...makes no sense to me...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Truth!
My had drive setup is organized in a way that probably wouldn't make sense to anyone else, but I get it. Some of it is broken up into- codec/artist/album/song......some of it is music source/artist/album/song. I don't do any genre sorting at all on the hard drive.

I could drag and drop if I wanted to....I know where the stuff is.... but I prefer to load my players with MediaMonkey. I open the "Location" tree and browse from there so that I am adding the right file to my players. I do it this way because I have some duplicates....albums that I have in FLAC, and also lossy conversions of said FLACs...the conversions are what go on my players.(well, they wouldn't go on my Sony players anyways, but I don't want them on my Clip+ either).

Like I said.....might not make sense to anyone else, but it works for me.
I prefer to sync my music to my player. I use ratings-based autoplaylists to control the music that's loaded on my player. Simply put, only rated songs are loaded on my player. This makes it easy to control the music loaded on my player and to know exactly what will be loaded on my player.

Of the methods I've used when loading music on my player (syncing, sending files to my player, drag-and-drop), I found that syncing works the best for me. Besides being less work after the initial setup, it also has the advantage of automatically generating/updating playlists on my player, something I have to do manually with the other methods.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@CDMP3PlayerFan....
I get the impression that you probably have a lot more music than I do, so I imagine that your techniques are invaluable in that regard. For a little while now, the only content I have had to transfer has been podcasts......my players' music contents are pretty much set for now.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
But the more sub-folders you create the more complicated it is to copy?

If I have "Reggae/S/Steel Pulse/1984/Earth Crisis", if I drag the album folder, 5 folder levels must be created even if it's the only Reggae album I put on the player this week. As a modern device can already browse by artist, album or date using tags, all those patterns are so vain. Of course if you must use your player as a storage device where to look for files, you are forced to maintain an old fashion file organization. What a burden!

I am always amazed when CDMP3PlayerFan shows us powerful tricks you can use with MM that are not possible with a portable player. But, for example, once your smart playlists are created with your PC manager, I believe the magic is to ignore to way files are copied to the device.
Not with drag and drop. Select all the folders, drag them to the MUSIC directly, and voilá, it's done. Switching out music involves deleting the appropriate folder off the player and then copying another folder onto the player.

Your example is a case of reductio ad absurdum (google it if you don't know it) because while it is logical, it's absurd. The average person will either have a folder specifically for "odd" albums or will simply drop the folder into one of his other folders on the player. I happen to have a folder on my hard drive specifically for "odd" albums, like my copy of The Essential Blues Brothers, since I don't have a Genre folder marked "Blues".

You speak of magic. The magic to me is not only paying attention to how your files are loaded onto your player, but also not relying exclusively on ID3 tags.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I have many albums that would have tracks scattered throughout my collection if I arranged them by the artist and/or other tags, and if I put all of the album artist folders in the same folder I'd end up with more than 1,000 folders in that one folder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi View Post
Your example is a case of reductio ad absurdum (google it if you don't know it) because while it is logical, it's absurd. The average person will either have a folder specifically for "odd" albums or will simply drop the folder into one of his other folders on the player. I happen to have a folder on my hard drive specifically for "odd" albums, like my copy of The Essential Blues Brothers, since I don't have a Genre folder marked "Blues".
As CDMP3PlayerFan shows, even if you are the Master King of sofware syncing, you want your files to remain browseables. And even if you have only one Blues album it deserves to be filed the same way other albums are inside your main library.
What I meant with my example is that with files having a short lifespan on a portable device it can be sometimes overkill to mimic a so deep filing structure. The benefits from a right organization and from using great tools are to leverage from file logic only on purpose, and CDMP3PlayerFan and others on this forum are teaching us how to think beyond cloning libraries.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
As CDMP3PlayerFan shows, even if you are the Master King of sofware syncing, you want your files to remain browseables. And even if you have only one Blues album it deserves to be filed the same way other albums are inside your main library.
What I meant with my example is that with files having a short lifespan on a portable device it can be sometimes overkill to mimic a so deep filing structure. The benefits from a right organization and from using great tools are to leverage from file logic only on purpose, and CDMP3PlayerFan and others on this forum are teaching us how to think beyond cloning libraries.
I couldn't agree more with meetooman.

We all have our own filing systems and protocols that work - for us. My own interactions here with folks like CDMP3PlayerFan have been invaluable. While I have my own process that I have established over many years to try and keep my always growing music collection under some form of control, I am always interested in discovering new, possibly better ways to manage my stuff. CDMP3Player's techniques may be a bit over-the-top for me atm, but simply knowing about alternative schemes is a huge help IMO, especially when someone else has clearly done the legwork/homework already. I have no issues leveraging someone else's great work for my own purposes if I find it useful.

Currently, I completely eschew a multi-level folder scheme, opting in favor of 3 subfolders inside a main root folder - I do not feel like a very deep folder structure would work for me. I prefer the simplicity of my current process.

However, as I said before, I do live and die by my ID3 tags. I am always reading about folks having issues with stuff being identified properly on either the DAPs or their music software. I have had zero of these issues to my memory as I have been using ID3 tags since the standard first came out. Moreover, my filenames are based completely off the ID3 tags and are exactly how I want them to appear. Same goes for my embedded artwork.

Anyway, my point is that everyone organizes their stuff differently - exactly like how we all hear music differently. There is no best way to do things - simply, like so many other things in life, the best way that works for you. And like meetooman, I very much appreciate CDMP3PlayerFan's diligence and experience in these matters.

I for one am glad that CDMP3PlayerFan is around for me to learn from and occasionally pick his brains.

Vive la difference!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 AM

meetooman,

My hard drive's structure is designed to be easily browsable. I have a Miscellaneous directory on my hard drive which is a "catch-all" directory for the stuff that doesn't fit within the Genres on my hard drive. If I were to copy The Essential Blues Brothers to my Sony, I would be creating a Miscellaneous Directory to go along with it if I didn't already HAVE a Miscellaneous directory on the player (I was being proactive).

Your example still is a case of reductio ad absurdum and is still not valid, because it takes out the human element of common sense. Common sense says to use the solution I've mentioned in this post (a Miscellaneous folder) and not make five friggin' folders for one album. Perhaps your example will be valid in the next generation since human beings are doing a very good job of breeding common sense out of their kids.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Strephon: I am usually very hesitant to get involved in these types of threads between members, but I am going to here because:
- I already went out of my way with screenshots to try and answer your questions, both here on this thread and on your <1900A.D. thread;
- I very much appreciate your efforts and your research into the matter with Sony, etc.

However, I see absolutely no need for you to insult/attack meetooman. I have just re-read the entire thread and your attitude towards him is completely unwarranted IMO. Moreover, your repetitive use of that oh-so-erudite Latin phrase is now starting to sound very condescending and makes you look like a troll in this case.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinions on this subject.

Just like meetooman.

But to belittle and insult how another person chooses to organize their music is way out of line and extremely disturbing, especially since meetooman was only trying to highlight alternative methods of music organization to you. Unless I am missing something, meetooman in no way insulted you, so in this case you have cast the first stone.

Everyone does things differently - there is no such thing as common sense in these matters. Vive la difference.

Get it together please.

-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
As I was saying, I'm very particular about how my music is tagged. As soon as the file is downloaded or the songs ripped from a CD MP3Tag is running and the tags fixed up in the way I like them.
Quote:
If I wasn't so methodical and thorough in my tagging
Quote:
Not with drag and drop. Select all the folders, drag them to the MUSIC directly, and voilá, it's done. Switching out music involves deleting the appropriate folder off the player and then copying another folder onto the player.
Quote:
You speak of magic. The magic to me is not only paying attention to how your files are loaded onto your player, but also not relying exclusively on ID3 tags.
So, which is it?

It sounds like the whole drag and drop vs. music manager argument all over again......except that you can't have your precious pre-1900 (or any) year tags with straight drag and drop.

So perhaps you could be a little more civil to the people in this thread who were simply trying to offer you alternative methods, instead of becoming snide and sarcastic towards them.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
@CDMP3PlayerFan....
I get the impression that you probably have a lot more music than I do, so I imagine that your techniques are invaluable in that regard. For a little while now, the only content I have had to transfer has been podcasts......my players' music contents are pretty much set for now.
I do have a fairly large audio collection (although a large part of it now consists of podcasts). I sometimes listen to music on my computer and prefer to have access to all of my music.

By using ratings-based playlists, I can put just the songs I want on my player without having to isolate them from the rest of my collection. Plus, I regularly make changes to what is loaded on my player, including a small selection of random unrated songs for review.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM

lestatar,

Sarcasm, not insult. Believe me, if I was going to go out of my way to be insulting I would have done far worse. Now, I read through his posts to me on this thread and at no point did I see from him any acceptance of my methodology or way of doing things. All I saw was him flat out declaring my methodology, my thinking, to be wrong.

Bad form on his part. I treated it as a personal attack and responded. I thought I restrained myself, but could I have done better? Sure. I could have walked away. I didn't.

*shrugs*

I think this is the first time since 1995, when I got ON the Internet that I have had anyone declare that I might be trolling. For some perverse reason that makes my day today, so please, by all means go ahead and keep holding that opinion you have about me. While on one level it stings a bit, on another level I just don't care that much about it.

P.S. Marvin, you might want to re-read where I ditched MTP because it couldn't do the things I wanted it to do. I think from that post I made you can infer which side of "The Great Debate" I am on.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

C'est la vie, Strephon, c'est la vie....
A Glossary for Newbies