android
Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Organizing files question

Will the Zen V or V Plus allow you to organize by your own folders and not tie you into the ID3 tags and album-artist-song hierarchy? I need to be able to organize it my own way in my own folders and I need to find out which player will allow me to do so. Thanks-

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 PM

The Zen V (Plus) uses ID3 tags exclusively. You can use folders to keep your content organized, but it will have no bearing on how the player reads and organizes the files.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 PM

That's not cool then. I need to be able to look under a certain folder and have that list of songs there for my specific purposes. Any options out there that will do it?

Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, sure. How do you have your folders arranged? You know that with ID3-based DAPs, you can locate your songs in album order, in artist order, in track order, and even in genre order. Any of these should satisfy your sorting requirements. The only catch is that your songs all have to be property tagged (ID3v2.x recommended), but any good library management program or tagger should be able to handle that for you pretty easily.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Well, sure. How do you have your folders arranged? You know that with ID3-based DAPs, you can locate your songs in album order, in artist order, in track order, and even in genre order. Any of these should satisfy your sorting requirements. The only catch is that your songs all have to be property tagged (ID3v2.x recommended), but any good library management program or tagger should be able to handle that for you pretty easily.
I play in several bands and I have a folder for each band containing all the songs that band performs. I need to be able to keep them that way, and then be able to scroll through a given folder and play a particular song for practice and/or play the whole folder if I want to run through everything. I also want to add a couple mix folders of songs that each band does not play to play during breaks.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, you can easily create playlists for those songs to play during breaks - that's easy enough.

I'm not 100% certain about the Zen V, but I know with the Vision:M, and the right syncing software, your entire folder structure will be retained within the player - the player simply won't make any use of the structure.

What you could do in your case is simply make sure all your bands' songs are appropriately tagged with your bands' names as appropriate in the Artist tag. Then, after syncing, just look up your band's name, and then create a playlist of all the songs under that band's name.

If this just isn't acceptable to you (I can relate to how you feel - I was the same way about organizing my music, and it took me a while to get used to working with tags - but now that I have, I just can't see going back), then you'll want a UMS player that follows directory structure (no Zens do this, but the smaller MuVos and Nanos do, as far as Creative DAPs go). Place a post within the "Other MP3 Player" forum describing your requirements. There are people there who can help match your needs to a player.