android
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Unhappy Zune SW CD Rips with Corrupt ID3 tags

Howdy,
I've decided to take the plunge and archive around 300 CDs in WMA lossless using the Zune SW. I am seeing a very consistent and repeatable bug. The ID3 tags are screwed up on the first tracked ripped of any CD. Track is placed in the "Unknown Album" folder and all ID3 tag fields are filled out except for the album name. This can be managed by editing the ID tags manually, but should be an easy SW fix for the Zune team.

Does anyone know how to work around this issue in automated fashion?
Is there any way to file a bug report with Microsoft?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

That happens if you rip too soon. Let the software play the CD for a moment first, then when all the tracks are correctly labeled, start the rip. (The issue is that the online database hasn't been able to reply with data fast enough...for who knows what reason.)

Also- for those already done, it may be easiest just to drag the first track onto the correct album. Do this in the zune software. The dragged track will acquire the album metadata of the album it's dropped into. The song metadata will be unaffected.

Last edited by NSILMike; 06-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
That happens if you rip too soon. Let the software play the CD for a moment first, then when all the tracks are correctly labeled, start the rip. (The issue is that the online database hasn't been able to reply with data fast enough...for who knows what reason.)
Figured it was something similar. I'm using the "rip on CD insert" function which is default, seems to be fairly broken and an easy SW fix if this is the case.

Quote:
Also- for those already done, it may be easiest just to drag the first track onto the correct album. Do this in the zune software. The dragged track will acquire the album metadata of the album it's dropped into. The song metadata will be unaffected.
This does not work for me. Nothing happens when I drag the track atop the correct album. Only fix I've found is manual editing of the tags.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Just tried it again. The songs are properly named on screen before the rip starts, yet the ID3 tags are not properly written.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreb View Post
Figured it was something similar. I'm using the "rip on CD insert" function which is default, seems to be fairly broken and an easy SW fix if this is the case.

This does not work for me. Nothing happens when I drag the track atop the correct album. Only fix I've found is manual editing of the tags.
1) You'd think so (and I'd agree,) but I've seen wmp and creative mediasource do it as well...
2) Drag the track from where? you need to do this all from within the zune software.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Just tried it again. The songs are properly named on screen before the rip starts, yet the ID3 tags are not properly written.
Then you have something very strange/unknown going on... what happens if you rip in windows media player instead?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM

You could rip your CDs with a non-garbage program, to a non-garbage format instead. Like EAC to FLAC.

EDIT: Oh wait, the Zune doesn't do FLAC.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Then you have something very strange/unknown going on... what happens if you rip in windows media player instead?
Not seeing this problem in WMP, just the Zune SW.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
2) Drag the track from where? you need to do this all from within the zune software.
I am doing this in the Zune SW. More experiments show it works about 10% of the time, the rest of the time I see no effect.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
I am doing this in the Zune SW. More experiments show it works about 10% of the time, the rest of the time I see no effect.
There is no bug on this as far as I can tell (no similar complaints...) so you definitely have some localized issue making your life interesting...