android
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Smile FM Transmitter for Sansa Fuze

Hey everyone, im new here..first post! lol.. Well im looking for an FM transmitter for the Sansa Fuze and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Ideally, id like one that will transmit to any type of FM radio, not just limited to cars like the itrip for sansa. I want to be able to play it on my stereo, and I dont think the itrip works for that..does it? Ive also looked into the belkin's but a friend of mine that has one says it drains the batteries pretty fast and I know i'll be using this transmitter constantly. One that draws its power from the player itself or another source would be the solution. Is there a transmitter for the fuze that is like the itrips made for ipods? or basically a transmitter that will work with any FM radio and will last me long? What do you guys use? Thanks so much for any help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM

The belkin like this one sells for around $25.00 and works off batteries or the included cig lighter adapter. But IMHO I don't like any fm transmitter and IMO nothing beats a direct connect.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Zune Moderator

You may have better luck with a tape adapter at $5 you can't beat it, though you need a tape p[layer so it is only really good for in the car.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
You may have better luck with a tape adapter at $5 you can't beat it, though you need a tape p[layer so it is only really good for in the car.
And what if one still has a tape deck on their home system

Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Zune Moderator

then he would be good there to.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 AM

I've always wondered about the tape adapters, do you lose any quality with those
Sansa e260 Rockbox 4GB + 120 MB

Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 AM

Hey everyone..thanks for the responses! Well I ended up getting a stereo cable to direct connect it at home and such but I still need some sort of fm transmitter for the car. I would of liked to direct connect it there too as suggested because I know those fm transmitters are crappy but unfortunately my car's system is very basic and doesnt have a jack for me to connect it. And no tape deck either.. so my only options are an fm transmitter or getting a new audio system for the car, lol..so thats where I stand.

I wish the fm transmitter's worked better, but whatever. If anything ill buy one used online and see how it goes. : )

Old 08-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A friend of mine had a fm transmitter and it sounded terrible in my car , i have a tape deck and use that to play through and it sounds pretty good

Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 AM

I just picked up a View and a Maximo charger/FM tuner (at this point uncertain if I like the view!). Plugged in the Maximo and just left it at the default 107.9 -- clear sound, nice sound range. I don't appear to be losing out on any highs or lows while listening to a mix of classical, hard rock and anime. Drove from one city to another with no issues and no interference, and upon arrival unplugged the converted to discover there was a country station on 107.9 (YIPES!). I had seen no change in the sound quality or any form of interference.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSunJester View Post
I just picked up a View and a Maximo charger/FM tuner (at this point uncertain if I like the view!). Plugged in the Maximo and just left it at the default 107.9 -- clear sound, nice sound range. I don't appear to be losing out on any highs or lows while listening to a mix of classical, hard rock and anime. Drove from one city to another with no issues and no interference, and upon arrival unplugged the converted to discover there was a country station on 107.9 (YIPES!). I had seen no change in the sound quality or any form of interference.
Happy that you are satisfied with your fm transmitter, but it's not like I don't own one. I have one of the better Belkin's that you can change to any station that you want and I've been testing it over 2 years in various cities in South Florida as well as traveling to other major markets, I stand by my assessment, they're just not in the same league as a direct connect.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:18 PM

Default iRiver FM transmitter works

I'm not sure how generic the transmitters are, but I have an iRiver FM transmitter that I was using with my T30, and it works just fine with my Sansa Fuze. So, I didn't have to spend more money!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Default FM Transmitter Recommendation

Sorry for the lateness of the post but i am a little late to the party. I highly recommend the Coby CA-745 which you can find at Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CA-745-Wi...3008111&sr=1-1

I had been using the Roadmaster VR8 but got quite a bit of interference if I went to certain parts of town. I have also used several battery operated transmitters in the past but they were horrible. I bought the Coby on a whim from Amazon because it was cheap, it uses the entire spectrum instead of just 8 or less channels and it plugs into the cigarette lighter plug for power. I was blown away. No interference at all.

I drive a van in a VERY busy city and listen to podcasts and music all night long. Sometimes I have to travel up to 250 miles into the boonies where you think that reception would be horrible but I have never even had to change stations.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:33 AM

I use the Phillips tape adapter I got from Wal-Mart for ten bucks. It works like a charm and makes my ancient car stereo sound awesome with my Fuze.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM

I understand why some people may wish to opt for an FM transmitter. For stuff like audiobooks and podcasts, an FM transmitter works fine. Direct connect is superior, if you have a) a car stereo that has a line in, b) money to afford a car stereo that has a line in, c) the technical know-how to build your own line-in. Sometimes it's not feasable; for example with rental cars.

I got one of these for $30:

I prefer it because it doesn't need batteries and allows me to select a station. Direct connect is best if you can do it; if not, then for $30 this is a good alternative.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM

So what about those cassette tape adapters that were mentioned before? Which is better because I would like to figure out how I'm going to deal with my own car. My car only has a radio and cassette player, I don't want to swap it out or try and add anything to it.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Nerdy...This has come up before, and fairly recently too.

IMO, the cassette tape adapter sounds much better than any of the FM transmitters I tried a few years ago. I use either an Aiwa or TDK adapter almost on a daily basis with my DAPs. There is some loss of high end but nothing that some device EQ/head unit tweaking cannot compensate for.

For me, the order of quality sounds reproduction in a car is [from best to worst]:

- AUX/Line in
- Cassette Adapter
- FM transmitter

The FM transmitter might work better for you if you live someplace without a whole lot of radio traffic. But another strike against the FM transmitters is something I believe WalkGood mentioned: it is yet another device you will need to power somehow.

I would try a cassette adapter first for a few bucks and see how you like the results.

cheers and good luck!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM

The only thing I like about the FM transmitter over the Cassette Adapter is that I can get one specifically for sansas and it will charge it in a nice little holder at the same time. I can't find a cassette adapter that can do that, I'd have to hook up the charger separate and then I have more wires laying around.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 PM

I used to use Radio Shack tape adapters in my car when I had a tape deck in order to listen to CD's. They work well for about a year, and then need to be replaced - usually because of alignment issues.