android
Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Help Audio converting question.

Tell me what codec configuration are you using on your Zune ( wma, mp3, aac? bitrate? ) and how good is the battery life with it ( how long will it last until you plug it to computer ). And can you tell any difference between 320 kbps and, lets say, 192 kbps ??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

wma and mp3. I rip to high quality wma vbr, and my mp3's are from amazon or zune marketplace. wma vs. mp3: at the same bit rate wma sounds better (at 128k, up to maybe 256k...after that they both sound pretty darn good.) wma is a more modern format than mp3, so the comparison is a bit 'unfair' to the format. aac is also more modern, and probably compares about the same to mp3.
And, yes, unless your hearing is poor or your headphones are too cheap, you will hear a difference between 320 and 192 on demanding passages for sure, and in general most of the time. (if the music is 'easy' or the recording engineer didn't pay much attention to her job, then you may find it more difficult to pick out the higher bit rate file.) Just about the hardest music to reproduce 'well' is loud piano. If you want to pick out the best speakers or headphones, take a sample of piano music (that you are familiar with) to use as the test!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 PM

No, I meant the other thing ( sorry, english is not my native language so it's hard to explain something )
I was more like: how does codecs affects on battery? What codec is more apropriate for long battery life without much loosing sound quality, is there a big difference (in playing time) between low and high bitrates ( couple hours or just 5 minutes ).
p.s. I'd prefer listening lossless with dad's sennheiser's hd 595, but i think zune's charge will not last long )))
sorry for inconvinience, if any..

Last edited by Vans; 06-26-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM

In my experience (with other players, not the zune) the bitrate does affect battery life but it has not detered me from using high bit rate files. wma performs worse than LAME mp3 these days IIRC.

Even with the HD 595s I wouldn't bother using lossless. High bit rate mp3s encoded by LAME are probably your best bet for a balance of sound quality and battery life.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 PM

I thought so, sticking with lame 320 vbr would be the best solution... I asked this stupid question 'cause my Zune won't play more than 11 hours (non-stop or with sleep, it doesn't matter), and that's odd. Wi-fi is turned off, screen is set to medium and playing nothing but music. Something wrong with him..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
I thought so, sticking with lame 320 vbr would be the best solution... I asked this stupid question 'cause my Zune won't play more than 11 hours (non-stop or with sleep, it doesn't matter), and that's odd. Wi-fi is turned off, screen is set to medium and playing nothing but music. Something wrong with him..
mp3 is limited at 320, 320 vbr isn't supposed to exist.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM

There are some nonsensical tweaks one can do to push VBR up to close-to-320-CBR... but of course that's silly, since in most instances even -v2 is transparent. (Speaking of LAME here, of course that doesn't work with sub-par encoders like FHG, Xing, and the like.)

Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

V2 is good enough for me. Sounds fine, and saves some space over V0, and especially wasteful CBR.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
There are some nonsensical tweaks one can do to push VBR up to close-to-320-CBR... but of course that's silly, since in most instances even -v2 is transparent. (Speaking of LAME here, of course that doesn't work with sub-par encoders like FHG, Xing, and the like.)
I've mixed up everything...))) I thought it's droping bitrate in the places where it not needed (don't need such high bitrate in pauses), to make file more compact though

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 PM

To my hearing V2 is already pretty transparent, I can't tell any difference between V2 and V0 in most cases.
and i'm totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
...Sounds fine, and saves some space over V0, and especially wasteful CBR.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
I've mixed up everything...))) I thought it's droping bitrate in the places where it not needed (don't need such high bitrate in pauses), to make file more compact though
yes...you have that right. and sorry for misunderstanding your question above. Bitrate has a substantial effect on battery life....however I have never tested or noticed a significant difference between wma and mp3 at the same bit rates.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 PM

So...one question is closed )) ...but one still remains: does anyone besides me suffers from fast enough Zune discharging, despite file or codec type (i still think that 11 hours or even less - is not good)
p.s. sorry for the offtop...

Last edited by Vans; 06-26-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
So...one question is closed )) ...but one still remains: does anyone besides me suffers from fast enough Zune discharging, despite file or codec type (i still think that 11 hours or even less - is not good)
p.s. sorry for the offtop...
it can be affected by many things. to get the estimates they post, MS uses 'ideal' circumstances, including low (128K) bit rates and playlists (no skipping, no screen display, no wifi, etc.) If you keep the display up constantly by skipping songs, and playing games, you might in fact be getting great battery life...