android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
...Amazingly useful info SNIPPED....
One of the things I learned was to create empty playlists while I was at the computer. Just create a new .txt file in the Playlist folder and rename the extension .m3u. When you browse through your files you can use the >long enter to open the context menu to add the files to a premade playlist. That and probably half a dozen other shortcuts lets me create, edit and delete playlists on the fly with ease....SNIPPED....

skip252: First, thanks for so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, detailed reply!

On to business: Your tip snipped above is the PERFECT SOLUTION for me. Like I said, I simply found the RB playlist virtual keyboard a bit cumbersome [but unavoidable and at least it works and is present!]. With your .txt file/premade playlist solution, I will never need to rely on Fuze apps again to create playlists.

THANK YOU!

As for your more general comments re: RockBox, I simply couldn't agree more. Though I have not observed too much of the RTFM syndrome thus far - the RB regulars here on ABi and on irc have been incredibly helpful. But for sure, I also have a similar philosophy on these things - yes, one should read the manual first before asking questions. I mean, at least make the effort to find the answers to questions yourself...

In truth though, I have found the RB manual, while amazingly detailed, to be at times a bit vague with specific information. Not a huge problem or even a complaint - I have paid for huge software packages that came with less competent documentation so kudos once again to RB. To be honest, while a career technology person myself [more PM/manager these days] I find that I understand techie things much better by simply trying things out and seeing what happens. This is exactly the strategy I am taking with RB, using the manual as a loose guideline.

Even just 1 week in, Rockbox indeed continues to amaze. I know a bit of the logistical hurdles involved with any technology project. For Rockbox to exist as an amazingly deep and competent product, one that gets continuously developed by a literal army of programmers for so many disparate HW platforms that they have zero official affiliation with is simply astounding to me. That RB is free and all the work is done by volunteers is nothing short of mind-blowing.

I do certainly plan to explore RB as fully as possible, given my own limited needs for such things. In any event, I will surely take all your comments and observations to heart...

Cheers and thanks again!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies