android
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Help Noob question#7649 - Playlists, FuzeV2 and Rockbox

Did a search of the forums and online - not too much definitive/recent info on this that I have found...Apologies if I missed something...

Using the stock FW on the Fuze in MSC mode and with either YAPL and/or video4Fuze, i was able to create several mixed media content playlists [utilizing songs from both main mem and microSDHC]. Problem of course is that the files are .pla and RockBox seems only to understand .m3u8 files.

I am starting to understand the RB playlist/dynamic playlist concept - however, I love using and creating playlists and sadly find the RB method of on device playlist creation a bit cumbersome for my needs.

So:
- Can RB understand and correctly play .pla files? I thought I read that somewhere in the Fuze/RB manual...
- Are there any [free] 3rd party apps that will correctly convert .pla files to .m3u8 files?
- Should all playlist files live in the Fuze root Playlist folder and will RB access them from there?

Thanks in advance - and yes, RB continues to impress me on a daily basis!
<Did I thank you RB folks today?>

-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 06-29-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Administrator

-No
-Don't know. I use currently either foobar2000 or XMPlay to create external playlists on my Sansas. The only reason I ever used any other software on the Fuze is that was when I was waiting for the Rockbox port to develop.
-You can place a .m3u8 or .m3u file anywhere on the player. As long as the playlist refers to where the music file is it will play.

Lestatar I think you will want to wrap your mind around one idea, Rockbox frees you to use your mind and the tools you want to enjoy your music in a way you've never experienced before. It really is that special.

Once you experiment around a bit you'll get used to the freedom and flexibility you have to create playlists that include files from anywhere on the player, card and main memory alike. A .m3u8 file is simply a text file that indicates where the music is on the player. It could be created with any text editor. Whether the file is on the main main memory or the external card should be irrelevant to the process of indicating where that particular file exists. That's the type of barrier that Sansa creates and Rockbox removes.

The concept of having a full file browser and context menus available slowed me down some when I first started with Rockbox but once I accepted that I could do just about anything concerning playlists on the player things really took off. Being able to add files from a database that sorted by so many different criteria really took some skull sweat to use effectively.

One of the things I learned was to create empty playlists while I was at the computer. Just create a new .txt file in the Playlist folder and rename the extension .m3u. When you browse through your files you can use the >long enter to open the context menu to add the files to a premade playlist. That and probably half a dozen other shortcuts lets me create, edit and delete playlists on the fly with ease.

When I'm at the computer at home or work I use the files on the player to run my music system. fooby2k can provide some great sound enhancements. When I hit a run of tunes I really like I just cut and paste them into a new or existing playlist. You'll find techniques that work for you.

I've noticed that the Rockbox developers can be decidedly unhelpful when it comes to actually using the results of their project. I've seen dozens of posts where the response has been RTFM. I thought at first they were being rude. I've come to discover that if you do read the manual and then apply what you learn from there to YOUR situation Rockbox affords incredible freedom to do what you want, how you want with your music.

What I mistook for rudeness was actually an extension of one of the most valuable lessons I learned growing up. If you are willing to think for yourself you can create an environment that is uniquely yours and will provide enjoyment that no predigested pap can rival. I see Rockbox as one of those opportunities.

That does require some reading, thinking and experimentation which is why it isn't for everyone. I don't know if you have the time or patience to really take advantage of what Rockbox offers but I do know that if you stick with it you will become dissatisfied with any player that is not Rockbox capable.

Last edited by skip252; 12-21-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
...Amazingly useful info SNIPPED....
One of the things I learned was to create empty playlists while I was at the computer. Just create a new .txt file in the Playlist folder and rename the extension .m3u. When you browse through your files you can use the >long enter to open the context menu to add the files to a premade playlist. That and probably half a dozen other shortcuts lets me create, edit and delete playlists on the fly with ease....SNIPPED....

skip252: First, thanks for so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, detailed reply!

On to business: Your tip snipped above is the PERFECT SOLUTION for me. Like I said, I simply found the RB playlist virtual keyboard a bit cumbersome [but unavoidable and at least it works and is present!]. With your .txt file/premade playlist solution, I will never need to rely on Fuze apps again to create playlists.

THANK YOU!

As for your more general comments re: RockBox, I simply couldn't agree more. Though I have not observed too much of the RTFM syndrome thus far - the RB regulars here on ABi and on irc have been incredibly helpful. But for sure, I also have a similar philosophy on these things - yes, one should read the manual first before asking questions. I mean, at least make the effort to find the answers to questions yourself...

In truth though, I have found the RB manual, while amazingly detailed, to be at times a bit vague with specific information. Not a huge problem or even a complaint - I have paid for huge software packages that came with less competent documentation so kudos once again to RB. To be honest, while a career technology person myself [more PM/manager these days] I find that I understand techie things much better by simply trying things out and seeing what happens. This is exactly the strategy I am taking with RB, using the manual as a loose guideline.

Even just 1 week in, Rockbox indeed continues to amaze. I know a bit of the logistical hurdles involved with any technology project. For Rockbox to exist as an amazingly deep and competent product, one that gets continuously developed by a literal army of programmers for so many disparate HW platforms that they have zero official affiliation with is simply astounding to me. That RB is free and all the work is done by volunteers is nothing short of mind-blowing.

I do certainly plan to explore RB as fully as possible, given my own limited needs for such things. In any event, I will surely take all your comments and observations to heart...

Cheers and thanks again!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies