android
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Default Infuriating S639F Artist list!

Hi guys this is really annoying me so I wondered if anybody has any thoughts on the matter.

Recently bought this model after my old sony packed it in, happy enough with it except for this one detail that is bugging me.

After syncing all my files to the device it takes the word "The" in an artists name and alpahabetises it accordingly. Eg The Beatles were listed under "B" on my old sony but they come under "T" now. Obviously there are hundreds of bands that begin with "the" so I have to slog through them all to find a band that i want which is annoying to say the least.

Ive tried everything that i can think of and cant seem to change it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If it bugs you that much, the answer is to alter the ID3 tags so that they are named Beatles instead of The Beatles. Without having the S639 myself, that's the best alternative I can think of.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey...don't have a S639, but sadly this is how it works on my E345 as well - and yeah, it is kind of annoying. Perhaps all new Sony's work this way?

Not sure how to work around this other than to modify your ID3 tag artist names and/or your actual mp3 filenames and remove the "The"...

Maybe someone else can help...

-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Follow-up: Does anyone know if the Sony's maintain their db using ID3 tag info or file name info?

If filenames for instance, then this could work better - leave the ID3 tag alone with the "The" but modify the file name so "The" is omitted...

can someone confirm which method the Sonys use?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey...don't have a S639, but sadly this is how it works on my E345 as well - and yeah, it is kind of annoying. Perhaps all new Sony's work this way?

Not sure how to work around this other than to modify your ID3 tag artist names and/or your actual mp3 filenames and remove the "The"...

Maybe someone else can help...

-lestatar
Well, I just threw a Beatles album on mine to try Folder browse mode, and it still comes up in the T's. I suspect that changing the file name would at least make the difference in Folder mode, but I don't know about the regular tag browsing mode.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, I just threw a Beatles album on mine to try Folder browse mode, and it still comes up in the T's. I suspect that changing the file name would at least make the difference in Folder mode, but I don't know about the regular tag browsing mode.
One possible reason that it still showed up in the Ts is that it is loading the songs into folders based on the album artist, with the artist as "Beatles" while the album artist is "The Beatles." On my player the songs are loaded into folders based on the album artist's name.

As far as handling bands (and songs) that start with the word "The", I've taken to putting the "The" at the end as follows:

- Song: "Winner Takes It All, The"

- Artist/Album Artist: "Beatles, The"

The above ensures that the song falls where I expect it to, and avoids having to slog through a large number of "The" songs to get to the one(s) I want.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 07-25-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Follow-up: Does anyone know if the Sony's maintain their db using ID3 tag info or file name info?

If filenames for instance, then this could work better - leave the ID3 tag alone with the "The" but modify the file name so "The" is omitted...

can someone confirm which method the Sonys use?
Based on my experience, I think that Sony players use information from the ID3 tags as their database source when browsing (except when browsing by folders). When I renamed my files, adding the artist's name to the song's filename, the artist's name didn't show up when I was browsing the song titles even though it was a part of the file name (later I changed it back so that the song's filename matches its title).
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 07-25-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: To clarify post.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the experiment CDMP3PlayerFan...I was too lazy to post a follow-up myself, but I tried a similar thing on my E345. Got the same results you did...

:-)
A Glossary for Newbies