android
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM

Default How to put an application onto your device.

Since this question arises over and over again I have decided to just make a sticky thread with instructions and hope people bother to read it before asking about it.

So here are the steps:

Steps:
1. Download the attachment which should be located in the first post of the application's dev-thread.
2. The file you get will be a .zip file (A compressed folder). To get the actual game folder you use an extracting software such as WinRAR or 7-Zip to extract it from the .zip. (Some people have encountered issues with WinRAR where they get a single odd file instead of a folder, if this happens you need a newer version of WinRAR or you use 7-Zip)
3. From the previous step you get a folder containing the application data. The next step is to place this folder in the "Applications" folder which is located in the Root of your device's file system. (If you cannot find such a folder you need to upgrade to the newest firmware)
4. Close everything down, unplug your device and start using the application.

Example:
I want to download Paradise Slots so I go to the thread:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=54714
Below the screenshots (not in every application thread) I press the link "Paradise Slots v1.1.zip". I save the file on my hard drive. I right-click on it and press "Extract to..." and set the destination as the "Applications" folder on my X-Fi2. After it finishes I close down WinRAR and the file explorer, unplug the device, starts it and uses the application.

Simple as that.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Hey thx so much :d

this didnt help! it only put the blank file in a folder

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM

I got a few files (i'm using winrar) that extracted a blank file.

I opened these files with winrar (7zip would probably work too) and extracted them to get my folder

Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM

i NEED HELP!!! I WANT THESE APPS AND I TRIED 7-ZIP IT DOESNT WORK!!! I LOOKED FOR A NEW WINRAR AND THE NEWEST ONE IS 3.93 AND THATS WHAT IVE BEEN USING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
I got a few files (i'm using winrar) that extracted a blank file.

I opened these files with winrar (7zip would probably work too) and extracted them to get my folder
I see. Found any connection between the files which fail the first extraction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datallboy View Post
i NEED HELP!!! I WANT THESE APPS AND I TRIED 7-ZIP IT DOESNT WORK!!! I LOOKED FOR A NEW WINRAR AND THE NEWEST ONE IS 3.93 AND THATS WHAT IVE BEEN USING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try opening the blank file in WinRAR. Right click -> Open with -> WinRAR, I think that is what Kenif is describing. Since I have never encountered the issue myself I cannot be certain what causes it. Also, take it easy and calmly provide relevant information and we will try and figure out what the problem is.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM

the only thing that worked for a few apps was right click and view file. theres no option for open with that i see

Old 08-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datallboy View Post
the only thing that worked for a few apps was right click and view file. theres no option for open with that i see
The usual in Windows "Open with..." it says and then you can choose a program for it. Or you first start up WinRAR and then load the file into it.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 PM

thats what i do

Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM

And what happens?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM

it shows the right file but it says theres an error and that the file is corrupt or damaged

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Hm, I've encountered a similar issue recently, but I used another extracting software other than WinRAR and it worked fine. (I used WinMount). What application are you trying to get? I'll go and try downloading it and see what happens for me.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 AM

I don't have an "Applications" folder in my player even after upgrading to latest firmware what to do?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatti View Post
I don't have an "Applications" folder in my player even after upgrading to latest firmware what to do?
Re-install the firmware, then check again.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:17 AM

You may want to use Main menu > system > information to display the installed firmware version of the device. Maybe some update error occurred.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM

no its internet explore. firefox works perfect with the downloads

Old 10-23-2010, 03:33 AM

i did search but couldnt find... can u tell me what index or key should i put to search ?

unfortunately i dont have aqny application folder on my zen-xfi . i create one but it didnt work .. but additionally i didnt ever install new firmware on my zen .
is it the problem or other thing i should do !!

plz help

i found some other post ... about master mind .
but i dont have any application folder on my zen , and still couldnt play !

Old 10-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Well I can see in the master mind thread you say you didn't install the new firmware... And if you read the thread I linked to that's the first thing I tell you to do to get it to work.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM

hey man ...u have hard ass really !
for answering this too many question .

im sorry about my nonesense post ... thank u , im going to update my firmware . :d

thank u again .. and sorry again to make u mad , cuz u post it before and i didnt see it .

ppl like u are so patient to toddler and have sacrificing attitude . cuz u can use application for your self and no neeed to learn to other ppl

i reallly appreciate you support and sure i hate ipod nano now :d

Old 11-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Default windows 7 doesn't see zipped files

I downloaded a buch of apps for my zen and tried to extract them using windows 7 x64 standard utility and it didn't work. I downloaded 7-zip x64 version and that did the trick! just letting people know.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 PM

use winrar
http://www.rarlab.com/