android
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 AM

Default S545 final doubts

Hi people,

I have narrowed it down to two players, I have three final questions before I take the plunge:

Regarding the Sony NWZ S545:

1) When I connect it with my PC, what happens? Does it show up as a removable drive like a pendrive would, or what is the process?

2) Can I explore the contents of the player with windows explorer, drag and drop or copy+paste folders and subfolders of music onto the player? If not, what are the available methods for copying music? I don't want playlists, I just want to conserve the folder structure I have on my hard disk and put it on the player somehow.

3) When I have copied the folders onto the player, will the player recognize them as music folders, let me navigate through the folder structure and simply press play when I am in the folder I want to listen to?

thanks! with these questions answered I can be sure :-)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM

1. For the most part, yes. It won't have a drive letter, but will otherwise look like a drive.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with Strephon on all points.

Look into a [free!] full featured music manager like Winamp, MediaMonkey, Foobar2K or any number of other apps that will play nicely with your S545 as well, though mostly under MTP mode. Still, you might like how those apps handle stuff like playlists, copying/deleting music, etc...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 AM

OK, so the S series is also a valid candidate... People are telling me that the E series is kind of crappy, low volume problems, etc, so I will probably choose between the S and A. And I find the speakers in the S series kind of pointless, plus the A is sexier... I dunno xD

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Who says the E series is "kinda of crappy" and has "low volume problems"?

I have had a 16GB E345 since November. IMO, it remains one of the best buys for the money, on almost all fronts. Is is built like a 300USD DAP? Of course not. But is it crappy? Hell no, IMO.

Also, you should know that low volume complaints generally come from EU folks who, due to patronizing legislation, suffer this same syndrome with many DAPs.

If the speakers on the S are pointless for you [as they are for me], if you don't care for a proprietary connector on the S, if you don't need FM/voice recording and ~24 hours of battery life is enough for you, then the E is your ticket - the S and E series are identical except for the above.

Indeed though, IMO as well, the A is sexier, but significantly more expensive.

Your money bro :-)
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 AM

Nah the E series is not crappy, it has great sound for its price point. Marksaus, it would be good if you mentioned where you were located to better know what is available in your region. Because if you can wait for the new E series I suggest you do.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Sorry, I forgot to say. I'm in Spain

Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksaus View Post
Sorry, I forgot to say. I'm in Spain
marksaus: argh, this makes a big difference vis-a-vis the Sony E34x/S54x series.

Both are, from what I understand, volume limited in the EU, along with all other DAPs. Getting around it on the Sonys is not as easy/possible as on other players [like Sandisk Clip+/Fuze].

Also, I believe the E series in Europe might use a different connector than the miniUSB which standard everywhere else.

Just more stuff for you consider...I also agree with Ascariss - if you can wait, check out the newest versions of the Sony E series which boast a few more features, a slightly different design look and supposedly much better battery life.

You may still run up against the volume limitation though.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM

agreed, wait if you can Marksaus please do, since the new E series is on sale in Spain, the 16gig model.