android
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Need a recommendation

I'm looking for a small flash-based MP3 player for when i'm mountain biking/exercising. So far i've narrowed it down to cowon's F2 and the Zen V. So far i've done a decent amount of research and i'm liking the F2's drag&drop ability and support for FLAC. I hadn't even really considered the Zen V until reading a bunch on these forums about Cowon and Creative having the best sound quality. So i'm taking another look at it.

A few things i'm looking for is being able to "blind/semi blind navigate" while riding. I see both players don't have exactly large buttons but i the only player i see that does is the shuffle and i'd rather not go there. I'm also trying to get the best quality sound for the price of around $120ish. Video doesn't matter to me.

I see you guys (girls) seem pretty knowledgeable about these, i'd ask you what your thoughts are. Also if you have any suggestions other than these too, let me know. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2007, 01:03 AM

I bought my Zen V Plus primarily to use while running/working out (although I use it a lot more than that now). I like it. It is tiny and unobtrusive and seems fairly rugged (mine dropped from about 5 feet onto our tile kitchen floor -- no scratches, still works). Best of all, it sounds great.

Regarding biking, you will be navigating blind/semi blind. The Zen V has an OLED screen, and those are hard to view outdoors, even in indirect sunlight. That's really one of the only criticisms I can make of the player. I've learned to live with it.

I think the Zen V has a simple and intuitive interface that works well in conjunction with the joystick. Once you get used to it, you can do a lot blindly. Also, when I exercise, I wear the player strapped to my arm. One nice thing about the Zen V is that you can adjust the display (and control) orientation in 90-degree increments so it's more convenient to use.

FLAC support is great, but I think it's wasted on a 2G player, which I believe is the limit for the F2. Your storage will be maxxed out pretty quickly with FLAC files. You'll get a lot more mileage -- and very decent audio -- with VBR or even 192 kbps CBR.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:05 PM

I agree.
I also have used the V+ 'blind' whilst cycling, and also walking to work (not nearly as much fun )

As long as you put the songs you want on a playlist, all you really need is forward, back and maybe play/pause. The little joystick on the V+ makes it pretty simple - just feel for the joystick, that's your forward/back, and press just above that and that's your play/pause.

Never tried the Cowon, so can't compare, but the V+ is a simple enough player to use on the go, and as metioned before fairly tough. That way if you lose concentration on a steep hill, you may break a bone or two, but your player might hold up