android
Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Absolute garbage

I bought a S738F and, the next week, won (in a raffle) a S638F. Both are 8gig players. Neither is acceptable for it's intended purpose.

I've transferred music to both these players using CDs, Napster and Rhapsody. In all cases, the Sony players will not transfer the music without major skips in most of the songs and, very frequently, doesn't seem to transfer the entire song at all. It's unbelievable how inept these two players are. I've had these Sonys about 2 years now and have never used them because the transfers are so bad. On the bright side, they've never frozen up. Don't know about the battery life as I never want to use them long enough to find out.

Both players do the exact same thing. I also have a Creative Zen which absolutely kills the Sonys for quality of transfers and sound. The Zen never has an obvious skip in the songs and has never failed to transfer the songs completely.

My question: is there something about these Sonys that I don't know? When transferring music from CDs, I've used WMP and transferred them at 193kps. Napster and Rhapsody transfer to the Zen without issue. What am I doing wrong with these Sonys?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Off-topic, but you mentioned a hell of a good album....

Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Forget all the apps you mentioned. Try Winamp as a start to manage your Sonys - then see what happens...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Do these DAPs support Napster, etc.?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB57 View Post
I bought a S738F and, the next week, won (in a raffle) a S638F. Both are 8gig players. Neither is acceptable for it's intended purpose.

I've transferred music to both these players using CDs, Napster and Rhapsody. In all cases, the Sony players will not transfer the music without major skips in most of the songs and, very frequently, doesn't seem to transfer the entire song at all. It's unbelievable how inept these two players are. I've had these Sonys about 2 years now and have never used them because the transfers are so bad. On the bright side, they've never frozen up. Don't know about the battery life as I never want to use them long enough to find out.

Both players do the exact same thing. I also have a Creative Zen which absolutely kills the Sonys for quality of transfers and sound. The Zen never has an obvious skip in the songs and has never failed to transfer the songs completely.

My question: is there something about these Sonys that I don't know? When transferring music from CDs, I've used WMP and transferred them at 193kps. Napster and Rhapsody transfer to the Zen without issue. What am I doing wrong with these Sonys?
Welcome to ABI.

Nice to see you here. Not so nice to hear about your problems. I have the NWZ S639, the 16 GB version of the S638. I have experienced none of the issues you describe. Perhaps if you describe in greater detail how you actually attempt the transfer of your files someone may be able to lend a hand.

The first thing you may want to try is to reset the player by depressing the reset button on the back of the player. If that doesn't help you can format the player using the internal format command in the Settings-> Common settings menu.

The latest firmware is 1.11. Is that what you have? If not you can head over to SonyStyle support and download and install that.

I noticed that you use Windows Media Player to rip and sync your files to the player. You don't mention what format. WMA or .mp3? Either way WMP doesn't get much love around here because it's considered to be a truly poor ripper and syncing program. The only reason it exists on my machine is that it provides the needed drivers for MTP transfer.

I would seriously consider ditching WMP in favor of either MediaMonkey or Winamp. Neither is a great ripper but both are relatively intuitive and have synced files to my Sony with no problems. BTW the free versions of both work just fine for the greatest majority of handling your player. They both have paid versions but for basic tasks the free versions will do.

Lastly have you tried just dragging and dropping the files to the player in Windows Explorer? While syncing programs work well for some the Sony players do support drag and drop file transfer.

I have never had a Creative player to compare the sound qualities between the two. However I have experience several players from top makers and I find nothing wrong with the SQ of the Sony. Some of the effects such as the VPT(surround) and the DSEE(Sound enhancer) aren't to my liking but I find the ClearBass and Dynamic Normalizer to be acceptable. The equalizer isn't world class but unless I pick some extreme settings it's pretty useful.

Obviously something is wrong. The more information you share the more likely it is that someone can spot it and perhaps get you up and going.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Do these DAPs support Napster, etc.?
Yes they do. That question was asked several time a few months ago. Since my player wasn't on either Rhapsody's or Napster's official list I contacted them. They both assured me that specifically my s639 worked and generally that any MTP/PlaysForSure device would work with their services.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 PM

Thanks Skip for the response.

I'm sure that part of my problem with the Sonys is that I'm not that good on a computer.

I use the Windows Media Player to transfer music ripped from CDs to my players. The vast majority of the music on my players is from Rhapsody - the whole purpose is to make it unnecessary to buy actual CDs. For Napster (previously used) and Rhapsody (currently use), I just download the music to my individual Library on the site, then drag and drop it to the authorized players. I've actually replaced all my CD downloads on all three players, which were ripped at 193kps, with the Rhapsody versions ripped at 160kps because I thought it might improve the performance of the Sonys. The Sonys will not play a selection ripped from my CDs without major distortion and skipping. The Zen I own works fine at either download rate. I use wma files rather than MP3 because, on the Zen, the wma files sound noticeably better.

I would not know where to start if I wanted to use Winamp or some other program in conjunction with Rhapsody. Not even sure it can be done.

The Sony site will not complete the firmware update for either of my Sony players. Since the update addresses a freezing / on-off issue that I don't experience with either player, I haven't pursued the matter past an online chat with a Sony technician (who, by the way, insists that I must use MP3 to prevent the skipping /incomplete transfer issues).

So, again, thanks for the help. If I still haven't given you enough info, let me know. I'm kinda a newbie at MP3 players, but I've been quite successful, and pleased, with the Zen. I just hate that I have two apparently nice Sony players that can't be used. My wife would love to use one, but won't due to the constant issues.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

CarlB57: You don't have to be a whiz on the computer to get this thing to work.

I still do suggest that you download and install Winamp as a first step to try and get you working with your Sony S.

Go here:
http://www.winamp.com/media-player/free-download-full

The free, full version is all you need.

- download it to your PC;
- note where the file is saved;
- locate the Winamp setup file and run it;
- read and follow the prompts at each step...be sure to OPT OUT of any additional applications/stuff Winamp offers to install for you that you do not want;
- it will probably ask you if Winamp should handle your file associations for music/video content...this is up to you. I believe you can choose to NOT ALLOW Winamp to handle the file associations at this point [of course, you can change and adjust this later];
- Let Winamp install...when it is complete, run it;
- When Winamp is running, plug in your Sony S and wait...Winamp should discover your Sony S and it should appear as a device on the left hand side of Winamp under PORTABLES section.

See if you can get this far...
hth,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks lestatar:

I've downloaded Winamp, and it looks impressive, but I don't see how I can link it to Rhapsody and the extensive library of music I have there. It's that library of music I want to put on the Sony players. It has not detected the Sony S738F I have connected right now.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Huh, ok...
My intention with asking you to install Winamp was simply to see if it would allow you to access the device. Not even thinking about Rhapsody, etc at this moment.

If Winamp is installed and it still does not see your Sony, not sure what else to tell you at this point.

- To get back where you were, you can simply UNINSTALL Winamp.

- you should be able to leave Winamp installed with no issues, but I think it might be better for you to remove it now.

Again, I was only hoping that Winamp would let you "talk" to your Sony S. Since that is not the case it seems, I do not want to make matters worse [somehow] so uninstall Winamp would be my suggestion at this point.

perhaps others can get you going...
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies