android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM

Default why does "refreshing your media" take so long???

i have about 1000 songs on my 8gb fuze and everytime i disc it from my mac it refreshes the media and it takes forever, like 2-3 minutes

does this happen to everyone or whats wrong?

my fuze is rockboxed btw

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 PM

If you a have a V1 Fuze, you can use USB in Rockbox.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

this is normal, hes got a v2 fuze, if you want to speed it up drastically, use mp3tag or a similar app to clean up the tags on you files(any audio format)

if you can run mp3tag(no clue if theres a mac version) you want to have it remove id3v1 and ape tags, have it write only id3v2.3 iso-8859-1 if you do this and remove any tags you dont need it will speed database refresh DRASTICALLY.

i went from 15+min refresh to around 3 on a fuze that was FULL of files(over 3k files/songs) rockbox dosnt have this issue, once you enable db and such it will just update in background without you knowing it, I dont know why sandisk dont have the fuze do this by default but..well at least with RB you dont need to go into OF offten so you dont have to wait for db refreshes :P

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyCuppy View Post
this is normal, hes got a v2 fuze, if you want to speed it up drastically, use mp3tag or a similar app to clean up the tags on you files(any audio format)

if you can run mp3tag(no clue if theres a mac version) you want to have it remove id3v1 and ape tags, have it write only id3v2.3 iso-8859-1 if you do this and remove any tags you dont need it will speed database refresh DRASTICALLY.

i went from 15+min refresh to around 3 on a fuze that was FULL of files(over 3k files/songs) rockbox dosnt have this issue, once you enable db and such it will just update in background without you knowing it, I dont know why sandisk dont have the fuze do this by default but..well at least with RB you dont need to go into OF offten so you dont have to wait for db refreshes :P
what does removing "tags" do to it?
will it still have the title and artist and all that info?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If you remove the tags you will lose all info in the tags, so no title and artist.

But thats not what hes talking about. He said to remove all the extra tags that aren't needed (ID3v1, APE, etc). I doubt this really helps, but trimming extra crap out of the ID3v2 tags probably does, since it'll save a lot of time digging through files to parse them.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

saratoga, he really does helpt o remove the non v2 iso tags, and any excess tags(like if u dont need the"comment" tag or "composer" or "disk number" tags, removing all tags you dont need can speed up DB refresh drastically, read up on the sandisk forums, its mentioned quite a bit, i was sceptical at first, but it can cut insain long db refreshes down to under 10min(one guy had refreshes that where over 30min, cut it down to like 8min from what i remember)

I had saved some links to topics about this but since sandisk moved to the new forum software...well the old software sucked but at least its search worked better...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Hi. I am a new poster, with 2 sansa e200's (rockbox'd), an old 80gb rockbox'd ipod and my new favorite - an 8gb Fuze V2 with a 16gb micro sd.
Except the "refreshing your media" situation STINKS! I don't have that problem on my other rockbox'd players.

Does anyone know if Rockbox for Fuze V2 will get to the point where the media refresh will no longer occur? Does anyone know how to eliminate this problem altogether, or is it a necessary evil?

I am doing a massive id3 tag clean up per above. on all 24gb of tunes. this oughta take a while, but will hopefully speed the process.

well just did the tag clean up. still slow! checked the sandisk forums and this is complaint for many over there, too.

I hope the next Rockbox upgrade for Fuze can bypass this ridiculous flaw.

Last edited by idivorceyou; 11-10-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added a comment

Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
Hi. I am a new poster, with 2 sansa e200's (rockbox'd), an old 80gb rockbox'd ipod and my new favorite - an 8gb Fuze V2 with a 16gb micro sd.
Except the "refreshing your media" situation STINKS! I don't have that problem on my other rockbox'd players.
Quote:
well just did the tag clean up. still slow!
How many minutes? Which tag fields are you now using? Are you using album art? If so, how big? How are your music files organized? How many songs per folder? It should take no more than a few minutes. The more information you provide, the better the chances of someone being able to help you.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM

thank you Enigmatic -

my music is in folders: /genre/artist/album. All are nicely id3 tagged - there are some flac and wma files though, not all are mp3

I used mp3tag to eliminate comments and id3 v1. There is definintely album art on some of the files, I like it!

as to how many minutes for "Refreshing your media", it takes about 9 minutes. Which to me is just ridiculous.

As I've said, all my other rockbox'd sandisk devices do not have the OF refreshing the media after laoding on music and then ejecting the devices.

thank you for inquiring. But based upon this thread, I am not optimistic that there is presently an answer and I apparently am stuck with this problem until Rockbox addresses this issue of the V2 Fuze.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Fuze V2, with less than 40MB free, and 2,993 songs (8GB internal plus 16GB card) takes just over three minutes to refresh.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:06 PM

I have the same setup, Marvin, but my refresh time is ridiculous.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have the same setup, Marvin, but my refresh time is ridiculous.
My tags are like seen in my image below....except my album art varies.....some of my tunes don't have it, the ones that do range from 200x200 to 500x500. And all are written to the format seen in that earlier post by Eggycuppy. Only other suggestion, if nobody has suggested it yet, is to format your Fuze and card with the Panasonic formatter tool.....it seemed to help my player.
Edit: forgot, there are Replaygain tags too, for album and track gain, as applied by foobar2000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (37.6 KB, 343 views)

Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
my music is in folders: /genre/artist/album. All are nicely id3 tagged - there are some flac and wma files though, not all are mp3
My music is organized, as recommended by Rockbox, in folders: /artist/album—i.e., without genre. On average, about how many songs per album? I suspect that many albums with only one song in them might increase the refresh time. This appears to be the case with my Fuzes.
Quote:
I used mp3tag to eliminate comments and id3 v1.
Which tag fields are you now using? I am using only album, artist, genre, replaygain_album_gain, replaygain_track_gain, replaygain_track_peak, title, track, and year. All other tag fields I have eliminated with Mp3tag. Did you try removing every tag field except the minimum that you must have?
Quote:
There is definintely album art on some of the files, I like it!
I, too, have album art for many of my albums. But I try to keep the size of each album art as small as possible.
Quote:
as to how many minutes for "Refreshing your media", it takes about 9 minutes. Which to me is just ridiculous.
It does sound like something is definitely wrong. How many music files are on your Fuze? I have an 8-GB version-one Fuze with a 16-GB card. I have 901 MB free in internal memory, 3.93 GB free in external memory, 2572 MP3s, and one WMA. The last time I timed the refresh, it was 2:14.

I have a 2-GB version-two Fuze with a 16-GB card. I have 440 MB free in internal memory, 2.46 GB free in external memory, and 2065 MP3s. The last time I timed the refresh, it was 3:46.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:01 PM

approx. 3670 songs; 128mb main mem free, 230mb card mem free
all tags cleaned per above instructions. yes, there is mp3 gain,
I deleted all the flac files, that made no difference.
it takes 13-15 minutes now to do the refresh if I add one album or delete something.
just wasted a ton of time on this!
This refresh thing either gets fixed or I am selling this thing on ebay.

I just reformatted the player and the sd card and am adding music again. Will mp3 tag all the files. hope to see an improvement!

Last edited by idivorceyou; 11-11-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added more stuff

Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Thank all of you for your help and advice. I reformatted the player (using the function contained in the original firmware) and reformatted the sd card with the Panasonic application. I loaded on 2103 songs, have approx 3 gb free in main memory and about 150mb free on the 16gb card. I re-mp3 tag'd all the files.

it refreshed in almost exactly three (3) minutes!

I am still looking forward to a better rockbox build that avoids the refresh of the O/F altogether, but 3 minutes is entirely reasonable.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM

and then I added more music. mp3 tagged it per above. and it is taking forever to refresh. Rats!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
and then I added more music. mp3 tagged it per above. and it is taking forever to refresh. Rats!
Are you doing this on a mac (as mentioned in the original post)?

If so, can you try it on a PC? I seem to recall some discussion of macs doing something weird to flash drives and the like. (But I could easily be wrong, as I don't pay a lot of attention to mac & linux issues/quesions.)

Steve

Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM

I am using a Windows PC. It just took 13 minutes to refresh. the tags were all simplified as per above suggestions.

I notice that it takes a verrrry long time for the refresh progress bar to get to 50% and then it goes rather quickly to completion. I am wondering if it is having trouble with the files in the main memory, vs the SD card. The main memory has, in the music directory, my party songs directory, split into 3 subdirectories of approx. 500 songs each. Is there some directory file number limit or issue with the firmware that may be the culprit here?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Down

Quote:
I am using a Windows PC. It just took 13 minutes to refresh. the tags were all simplified as per above suggestions.

I notice that it takes a verrrry long time for the refresh progress bar to get to 50% and then it goes rather quickly to completion. I am wondering if it is having trouble with the files in the main memory, vs the SD card. The main memory has, in the music directory, my party songs directory, split into 3 subdirectories of approx. 500 songs each. Is there some directory file number limit or issue with the firmware that may be the culprit here?
Interesting.....maybe that is causing the lag.....I couldn't say for sure. I just have artist folders with album subfolders inside them.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The main memory has, in the music directory, my party songs directory, split into 3 subdirectories of approx. 500 songs each.
Are you saying that you have three folders with about five-hundred songs in each folder? If so, I suggest you use subfolders in these three folders—twenty songs per subfolder. If you have any other large folders, whether in internal memory or external memory, put the songs in subfolders—twenty per subfolder—and see if the refresh is quicker.

Try organizing your music files as recommended by Rockbox—folders to act like artist folders and subfolders to act like albums. Put twenty songs in each “album.” I have my music organized like the way done by Marvin the Martian—the way recommended by Rockbox