android
Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 AM

Default Interested in Rockboxing.

Hello there fellow audiophiles,my name's Siddhesh and I'm from India,I'm new to this forum and you guys are really helpful .

I've been reading quite a lot,but haven't posted till now.After reading much and quite a lot of hassle,I eventually got a Clip+.It's awesome and I've been thinking much about Rockboxing it,after checking out the advantages.

The one and only thing that bothers me that is what if I brick it....Does "Brick" mean I won't be able to connect it to my PC too? Now,that's an issue as if finding clip+ that too in India was easy.

I'll like to already know the procedure to unbrick my clip incase thing's go bad.But I can say with most certainty that I AM going to rockbox it in a few days.I just got it yesterday,so I'm just getting used to the OF so I can notice the difference.

Thanks in advance,
Siddhesh.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2010, 03:57 AM

I'm pretty new around here too, but I think bricking is somewhat rare and can be avoided by reading up on the known issues and avoiding whatever causes them.

However, in the event that it does brick, I've seen several cases on here where the members have helped each other unbrick their players. The rockbox guys are also knowledgeable and can be reached at most times on their IRC channel. I think there is a link to it somewhere on the rockbox website. So if you do end up bricking it, there's a fair chance you can get it back to it's original settings.

And yes, bricked pretty much means you won't be able to connect it to your PC, or use it for much anything else than a paper weight.

Congrats on your purchase though! It will serve you well.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:03 AM

Then I guess unbricking involves opening up the player and stuff like that,is it? o.O

Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 AM

I think there are various ways to unbrick a player, all of which depend on what caused it to brick in the first place, corrupted files, etc. However I do not believe I have seen any instance of the player being opened up.

Sometimes there are applications you download, sometimes you press/hold certain buttons while plugging the device into the computer, it depends on the player.

Someone more familiar with the subject will most likely post sooner or later and give you a more specific answer.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The currently only known way to unbrick a Sansa Clip+ is to open up the Clip+ and short a few pins.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMSUnbrick

Old 09-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Take a look at the Sansa AMS Port page. That's written and maintained by the same people that write the code for the Clip+. The links for unbricking are on that page. It involves opening the player. There have been very few reports of successful unbricks except by those who are very knowledgeable with electronics. So pretty much if it bricks it's probably a paperweight.

There have also been no reports of anyone bricking a Clip+ in several months. Since USB support was disabled a while ago there haven't been any reports of it crashing to the unresponsive state where the battery had to be allowed to run down. Those that did recovered just fine in about 3 days.

To my eyes it's really simple. Either accept the slight danger of a bootloader upgrade or don't. I don't think there's much anyone here can tell you that you don't see on the AMS status page.

All the anecdotal reports we may give you doesn't override what the developers have to say about the current status. While I have personally installed Rockbox on eleven AMS targets that doesn't mean yours will be successful. When I did that on each of those I knew and understood any possible risks. Since I judge that risk to be no more than a standard firmware upgrade I've gone ahead and have had no problems. YMMV. Theres is always a chance that you could be the unlucky one that has an unrecoverable problem.

If you decide to accept what I would judge to be the minimal risk there is a page here with a bootloader and very simple instructions. It should get you up and running very quickly and easily.

Good Luck and Welcome to ABi

Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Or just simply use the RB Utility to install - far much more simple since all you're doing is pressing buttons.

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Or just simply use the RB Utility to install - far much more simple since all you're doing is pressing buttons.

http://www.rockbox.org/download/
My guess is that you didn't actually read the AMS Port Status Page. The fifth bullet point under Specific Problems as of today,September 09, 2010 states,

"Fuzev2/Clip+: Some models won't patch with RButil 1.2.7. Use mkamsboot."

The Rockbox Utility fails in some cases. The bootloader I linked will be more reliable until the Rockbox Utility is updated.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
My guess is that you didn't actually read the AMS Port Status Page. The fifth bullet point under Specific Problems as of today,September 09, 2010 states,

"Fuzev2/Clip+: Some models won't patch with RButil 1.2.7. Use mkamsboot."

The Rockbox Utility fails in some cases. The bootloader I linked will be more reliable until the Rockbox Utility is updated.
If it fails, how likely is it that the TS will keep silent? It's not like if it fails, it'd be the end of the world.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 PM

I think it's worth emphasising that there's a risk of bricking your player with *any* firmware installation. In fact, there's a risk of bricking your player by turning it on. That's just the nature of electronics.

Personally, I'd say if you can hold buttons to reset it, or wait till the battery drains, then it wasn't bricked at all - it just crashed. Bricking is something like firmware corruption to the point where you can't even install new firmware - in other words, without debugging equipment or shorting pins (and possibly even then), you're stuffed.

The risk of bricking your player by installing Rockbox is probably normally higher than that for installing a 'normal' firmware upgrade - at least averaged over a decent period. Whether it's significantly higher depends on the current state of the code. But the fact is, there don't seem to be hordes of people posting on the Rockbox forum (or anywhere else) that their player has been bricked, so you can assume that it's *reasonably* safe.

[edit - very worth bearing in mind here that the majority of people who have no problems won't post on forums. The majority of people who brick their player, at a guess, will. So the sample of forum posts is actually biased against a fair assessment of the risk. Most of the people who start "My clip+ is bricked because of your stupid firmware " threads appear to have simply been too lazy/excitable to type "clip+ hard reset" into google, and then hold the power button for ~30 seconds.]

Follow the instructions carefully, and you should be fine. I personally would have no hesitation Rockboxing a Clip+, and the risk of bricking appears so low that it wouldn't even factor into the decision.

[Edit - just reread skip252's post, and he already essentially said this - sorry, evidently skimmed it the first time... ]

Last edited by Confuseling; 09-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@OP: Throwing in here...As every one else has so eloquently said, deciding to Rockbox a player is essentially a personal risk assessment:

- Do the benefits of Rockbox outweigh the [tiny but possible] risk of ruining your player?

No one can really answer this but you.

Read. Learn. Decide.

Best thing any of us who enjoy Rockbox can tell you is that for us, RB is well worth the risk.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies