android
Old 09-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyX84 View Post
Ah. My mistake. Well, I'm seriously thinking of doing this, so if I do, mind giving me tips? Suck at setting custom EQ and effects.

BTW, which version of the Mini do you own (gen 1 or 2)? I think you can use a CF in either model, but not sure which is easier to RockBox.

Sorry for high-jacking thread.
Well, I can't just list a bunch of settings that will necessarily sound good to you....(if only it was that easy!)

My Mini is a second-gen, and I think that one is easier to rockbox. I didn't perform the CF card swap, or load rockbox on after the swap though...that was all done before I got it. All I've done is update the RB build on it.

Everybody's ears have different frequency ranges that they can hear, and different headphones are the same way.

My approach is, when I either get a new player, or new headphones, I throw on several albums that I know by heart....that I've heard thousands of times over the last 15-20 years...and by trial and error, move the sliders to and fro until I get the right balance of sound. I like bass as much as the next guy, but only if it does not overwhelm the mids and treble.

Where the rockbox EQ can get confusing is that it allows you to change the frequency of each of the 5 bands, if you want to. I'd recommend playing around with a software one on your computer first, so you can get a feel for what numerical frequency changes what sound.(example pic of the foobar2000 EQ is below....freq. numbers are at the bottom of the sliders)

It can take a bit of work, don't get me wrong...my Mini EQ settings are different than my Sansas, because of the different hardware, so I had to do it all over again....but the end results were worth it. I have a great-sounding player with 30GB usable capacity, that still isn't huge like a iPod Video or Classic or a Zune120.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (43.4 KB, 18 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the help Marvin. I (kinda) understand how a EQ works, but not enough to know how to use it properly. I have just started experimenting with the one in my car due to not being able to hear music well, but that only has Bass and Treble control, so it rather simple. Looks like I got a bit of work ahead of me (beyond finding and modding a iPod Mini).

Would be nice if someone here could make a EQ guide to help out audio newbies like me....... To be honest, I'm surprised no one has done this before.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Because EQ doesn't err, really need a guide? You just adjust the sliders until you like the sound.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCorpse View Post
That slick UI means a lot to some people (like me). I just can't get into that Rockbox UI.
You're kidding, right?

At the moment, my main player is a Rockboxed 24 GB Fuze V2 that starts up in PictureFlow. Have you tried that? Tell it to start up in PictureFlow -- and, tell PictureFlow to use WPS Integration "Via Tracklist" and see if you don't think it out-slicks ANYTHING you've tried before.

It sure out-slicks the stock Sansa firmware, and my Zune 30, Zune 80, and my wife's Ipod.

It's nice too, to be able to press the Menu button, go up to the Files entry, then the MicroSD card, and watch hours and hours of video.

An amazing amount of stuff to get lost in a shirtpocket (yet big enough to ENJOY viewing for extended periods of time), and, when all else fails, I can hand it to my kid and let him play Bubbles and Jewels (which he is quite expert at, and, enjoys enough to stop being squirrelly).

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM

I'll back up the anti-rockbox sentiment. Tried it, hated it, and i just ordered a Fuze+ yesterday to replace my fuze
If your argument for rockbox is that it is slicker than an ipod, thats great for you

Trying to support rockbox because of its video capabilities and games on the other hand...LOL

Old 09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Rockbox isn't for everyone...learned that from experience. But personally, I agree with a couple of people on here, I can't imagine my music life without it now...but if you don't like Rockbox by any means, then the Fuze+ is a good upgrade from a Fuze.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAfuRos View Post
I'll back up the anti-rockbox sentiment. Tried it, hated it, and i just ordered a Fuze+ yesterday to replace my fuze
If your argument for rockbox is that it is slicker than an ipod, thats great for you

Trying to support rockbox because of its video capabilities and games on the other hand...LOL
Whoa, who pissed in YOUR wheaties? (and by the way, kudos to whoever it was )

I don't "need" slick. I set it up so that my wife (and others I may show the player) would see Rockbox as something other than geekfodder.

As to the video capabilities, it beats the bloody hell out of Sansa's pathetic half-baked implementation of a video player -- in SO many ways that there's just no comparison at all.

The games are nice throw-in time-wasters, and my kid likes them. Maybe YOU don't ever have to deal with a cranky kid, but plenty of folks DO run into that situation. Being able to hand him a Fuze and instantly morph from cranky-tantrum mode to "oooh, FUN" mode... WELL worth the price of admission (and then some, since the price is $0.00 for this great little FAIB system).

So, in closing, just what IS your major malfunction? RB packs more oomph under the hood than all of Sansa's home-made firmware tries in the aggregate. I'm guessing you either never used it, or didn't even look at the manual (there's an exhaustive PDF for EACH port), or, your shorts were mislabled on the size-tag. If the latter, darn, that's really got to smart.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Uh...did i write something that i can't see? What are you so offended by?
Oh and its cheerios, not wheaties. Get it?

Your post seemed to post rockbox above the ipod in terms of games and video. In both cases, terribly untrue. Comparing the fuze to the ipod and then praising the abilities of fuze's multimedia capabilities suggests as much, anyways.
Further, you seem to be of the mind that rockbox will never happen for the fuze+
And the resolution of the fuze+ and screen size will soon blow away anything rockbox fuze can offer once fuze+ rockbox is offered. And videos in general on the fuze+ will be much nicer, you just have to convert them (oh no!).

And, whether or not YOU need slick doesn't convince anyone that they don't. I wasn't aware that we were discussing how much you love rockbox; on the contrary, i thought we were talking about why some people dislike it. Go ahead, like rockbox, i wont stop you, and i never said i would.
Who pissed in YOUR cheerios? (and kudos to who did lololol so funny)

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Wow, it's rare that new meat leave such a foul taste.

Do you ALWAYS do the miffed drama queen Grand Entrance thing with EVERY forum you join? Come storming in, feigned indignation, uber-dick-waving mode, foaming at the mouth, firing at anything that moves?

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. Your classic "moving the goalposts" tactic is... boring -- and in any event. I don't expect you to last very long around here -- it's generally a FRIENDLY place, and argumentative thorns clearly chafing for a FIGHT don't tend to, ahem... "prosper."

Enjoy the object of your iAffections. Or iAffectations, or iWhateverTF. Knock yourself out, kitten.

Bye now.

/m_k yawns, stretches, and leaves to go see if the new forumware includes a plonk-key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAfuRos View Post
Uh...did i write something that i can't see? What are you so offended by?
Oh and its cheerios, not wheaties. Get it?

Your post seemed to post rockbox above the ipod in terms of games and video. In both cases, terribly untrue. Comparing the fuze to the ipod and then praising the abilities of fuze's multimedia capabilities suggests as much, anyways.
Further, you seem to be of the mind that rockbox will never happen for the fuze+
And the resolution of the fuze+ and screen size will soon blow away anything rockbox fuze can offer once fuze+ rockbox is offered. And videos in general on the fuze+ will be much nicer, you just have to convert them (oh no!).

And, whether or not YOU need slick doesn't convince anyone that they don't. I wasn't aware that we were discussing how much you love rockbox; on the contrary, i thought we were talking about why some people dislike it. Go ahead, like rockbox, i wont stop you, and i never said i would.
Who pissed in YOUR cheerios? (and kudos to who did lololol so funny)

Tags
8gb, fuze+, review, white