android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks for your PM. I decided to post here so that others who may be interested can join in. (Though I am guessing by now, given the age of the Z80, most of this has be asked and answered ad nauseum. )

As I mentioned, the main reason I started thinking about an iPod was to Rockbox it once I realized I would never have to load iTunes and even more so once I saw the themes available. Y'know, when I bought the Z80, I didn't even realized that the iPod could be Rockboxed (silly of me, I know... why wouldn't they have tried?). But since buying a refurb'd old gen is almost as much as buying a new current gen, it makes it a hard pill to swallow.

I pulled out the Z80 to see if I could find the EQ you steered me to, but it had finally died (I guess I had only put it to sleep last time) and it is taking quite a while to get the minimum charge required to turn on. Once I can, I will check it out.

BTW, when replacing the HDD, what did you use? I think I read ppl used HDDs for iPod, are those the same size? How about laptop HDDs? And was it hard to crack the case open?

Last thing I was wondering about, what kind of case do you use? I had originally thought about the DLO HipCase, but then realized that in the car the flip would most likely get in the way. Then I stumbled across this review of the Incipio Metal Slider Case. Even though the reviews on Amazon are not very favorable (though the ones for the copper version are more positive... odd), the design appeals to me and would work well in the cup holder mount I use for my GPS. Plus I love the dual-use kickstand and think that would make it much more desk-friendly at work. On top of that, I have a small camera case sitting in my desk at work that I never got around to returning to Big Lots that I think the Z80 plus Slider case would fit into nicely, thereby protecting the reported easily-scratchable Slider screen.

OK, Z80 finally has enough charge to power on. Hmmm... don't see any EQ under Settings>Music, only Shuffle, Repeat, and Artists. I bet it is due to the firmware. It came with 2.5, and since I have not loaded the Zune app yet, it has not been updated. Was the EQ added in a FW update?

Thanks again for the info!

N2Z

Tags
2.5, application, zune 80