android
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Looking for Zune App 2.5... or should I just go with 4.x?

Hey all!

Well, I had bought a Z80 refurb from Walmart last November, got a brick, decided to return it to WM within what I thought was their return window, but forgot that electronics are only 15 days. Sent it to MS for repair, and they shipped me out a new unit (yay!) in a white box (boo!). Was wanting to pawn it or list it on the Bay (and go with <shudder> an iPod, but a 5.5g just so I could Rockbox it), but without the box or the premium headphones I figured I would get nil for it. So it has been sitting on shelf along with the Car Pack v2 I got from TigerDirect for $5 awaiting my decision on what to do with it.

The main reason I was wanting to get rid of it was the lack of EQ, but I recently realized that I turn off the EQ on my Sony NW Walkman when I am in the car (where I use it the most often) since using the stereo's bass and treble yields a better sound. So I finally decided to start using it now. I pulled it of the shelf and was pleasantly surprised that after 3 months or so of nonuse it still had ~75% charge left. Not too shabby.

When I bought it, ppl were talking about zSuite and the like, so I thought I would give those a shot, but I am having a devil of a time trying to locate an actual Zune Application 2.5 file. Everything that is purporting to be 2.5 ends up being 4.0.

So, my questions are (aside from where I can find a v2.5 file), should I stop looking and just load v4.x? Aside from drag 'n drop and a clock, what else would I really be missing? I know I will gain the game support, not that I can see myself using that all that often. I guess my biggest issue is how songs are organized and being able to customize it, so if the newer software is better for browsing contents and if I will still be able to load wallpaper, then I guess I will just load 4.x and go with the flow.

TIA for any advice. I appreciate the help.

N2Z

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Upgrade to the newest version. Zune never had the drag-n-drop function evening with 'hack' software. It is a misconception.

FYI, the Zune does have an set equalizer.

If you still don't want the Z80, I'll buy it off your hands. PM me if you are interested in getting rid of.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Hey, JSP62! Thanks for the response. I was beginning to wonder if this part of the forum had keeled over!

N2Z

Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 AM

There are still a few who surf this specific forum.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks for your PM. I decided to post here so that others who may be interested can join in. (Though I am guessing by now, given the age of the Z80, most of this has be asked and answered ad nauseum. )

As I mentioned, the main reason I started thinking about an iPod was to Rockbox it once I realized I would never have to load iTunes and even more so once I saw the themes available. Y'know, when I bought the Z80, I didn't even realized that the iPod could be Rockboxed (silly of me, I know... why wouldn't they have tried?). But since buying a refurb'd old gen is almost as much as buying a new current gen, it makes it a hard pill to swallow.

I pulled out the Z80 to see if I could find the EQ you steered me to, but it had finally died (I guess I had only put it to sleep last time) and it is taking quite a while to get the minimum charge required to turn on. Once I can, I will check it out.

BTW, when replacing the HDD, what did you use? I think I read ppl used HDDs for iPod, are those the same size? How about laptop HDDs? And was it hard to crack the case open?

Last thing I was wondering about, what kind of case do you use? I had originally thought about the DLO HipCase, but then realized that in the car the flip would most likely get in the way. Then I stumbled across this review of the Incipio Metal Slider Case. Even though the reviews on Amazon are not very favorable (though the ones for the copper version are more positive... odd), the design appeals to me and would work well in the cup holder mount I use for my GPS. Plus I love the dual-use kickstand and think that would make it much more desk-friendly at work. On top of that, I have a small camera case sitting in my desk at work that I never got around to returning to Big Lots that I think the Z80 plus Slider case would fit into nicely, thereby protecting the reported easily-scratchable Slider screen.

OK, Z80 finally has enough charge to power on. Hmmm... don't see any EQ under Settings>Music, only Shuffle, Repeat, and Artists. I bet it is due to the firmware. It came with 2.5, and since I have not loaded the Zune app yet, it has not been updated. Was the EQ added in a FW update?

Thanks again for the info!

N2Z

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2iZod View Post
BTW, when replacing the HDD, what did you use? I think I read ppl used HDDs for iPod, are those the same size? How about laptop HDDs? And was it hard to crack the case open?
I sent mine out to be repaired due to a failed hard drive. I ended up upgrading the hard drive size and had the service company do the work for me with a (3) month warranty. I went to RapidRepair.com, which I highly recommend. I was find paying the price to have someone else do it. You can save ~$25-50 doing yourself, but you own all the risk.

Quote:
Last thing I was wondering about, what kind of case do you use? I had originally thought abo......hereby protecting the reported easily-scratchable Slider screen.
I have the Incipio metal slide case and found it to be very nice and sturdy. Very good quality and the company is reputable. I also have a sleak black silicon case (not the tough clunky one) which I currently use. I also have a screen protector film I added. Not sure of the manufacturer.

Quote:
OK, Z80 finally has enough charge to power on. Hmmm... don't see any EQ under Settings>Music, only Shuffle, Repeat, and Artists. I bet it is due to the firmware. It came with 2.5, and since I have not loaded the Zune app yet, it has not been updated. Was the EQ added in a FW update?
Upgrade to the new software and it should show up. You should also have games added too.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 PM

My Zune 80 is in an Incipio black leather case, has a wrap-around design with an elastic inner portion to hold the player in the case, some thin powerful magnets inside the cover portion, to hold it closed, and, when you unwrap it part way the cover acts like a stand, to hold the player (horizontal) at an angle convenient for viewing videos. Very nice design case, got it on sale but forget what I paid for it. Not that much, as I recall.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 PM

I also put a skin over the front ("Best Skins" is the brand, I think), it's made of indestructible stuff, designed to protect helicopter rotor blades. I can believe it -- this stuff is unbelievably tough. It's also nice and clear, and, adheres nicely to the glass (you need to spray the adhesive side of the skin with a soapy water mix (they have directions) before applying it, so that you can position it when putting it on the glass -- takes about a day or so to cure after that, during which time it doesn't look nice -- but when it cures, the water is gone, and it's crystal clear). I use that stuff on all my players, its great. I originally bought pre-cut skins, but now I buy "bulk" sheets from them and cut to size with a sharp scissors (you will NOT cut it with anything else, including a knife -- it's amazing material). I cut pieces to cover the display-only, instead of the entire player.

The glass on the Zune 80 IS very strong, but, it CAN scratch -- the first one I had, which died and was replaced by MS, came out of my shirt pocket with a scratch. I had been very careful with it, always keeping it in a pouch (this, before I got the case), but one of the FEW times I put the player in my shirt pocket without the pouch, it got a scratch in the glass. There was nothing sharp in my pocket, so I assume it was a piece of dust or sand that may have blown into my pocket (some dust can be incredibly hard and abrasive).

When they shipped me the new one (I was expecting them to return the old one, repaired, with the scratched glass) the first thing I did was put the skin on it.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
My Zune 80 is in an Incipio black leather case, has a wrap-around design with an elastic inner portion to hold the player in the case, some thin powerful magnets inside the cover portion, to hold it closed, and, when you unwrap it part way the cover acts like a stand, to hold the player (horizontal) at an angle convenient for viewing videos. Very nice design case, got it on sale but forget what I paid for it. Not that much, as I recall.
Yes, I also have the leather case. Very nice and again, Incipio is very high quality IMHO.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP62 View Post
I have the Incipio metal slide case and found it to be very nice and sturdy. Very good quality and the company is reputable. I also have a sleak black silicon case (not the tough clunky one) which I currently use. I also have a screen protector film I added. Not sure of the manufacturer.
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you like the case, as I am thinking that is the one for me to get.

Quote:
Upgrade to the new software and it should show up. You should also have games added too.
I had read that the games were added starting around 3.0, right? Good deal. Now I just have to find the time to install and get oriented and start packin the Z80 with tunes! Actually, I first need to fix a flub-up I did with My Music folder, as my username folder and the My Music folder have inexplicable switched places. Very confusing... and frustrating!

N2Z

Old 09-19-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
I also put a skin over the front ("Best Skins" is the brand, I think), it's made of indestructible stuff, designed to protect helicopter rotor blades. I can believe it -- this stuff is unbelievably tough. It's also nice and clear, and, adheres nicely to the glass (you need to spray the adhesive side of the skin with a soapy water mix (they have directions) before applying it, so that you can position it when putting it on the glass -- takes about a day or so to cure after that, during which time it doesn't look nice -- but when it cures, the water is gone, and it's crystal clear). I use that stuff on all my players, its great. I originally bought pre-cut skins, but now I buy "bulk" sheets from them and cut to size with a sharp scissors (you will NOT cut it with anything else, including a knife -- it's amazing material). I cut pieces to cover the display-only, instead of the entire player.
Now I am very glad that I brought the discussion back to the thread... thanks so much for this info! I had already seen ZAGG's Invisible Shield, but did not want to pay $15 for just a screen protector ($25 for full body skin), but Best Skins has the full body skin for half the price of ZAGG's screen only!!! Plus the application method you mentioned sounds much less harrowing that the "sticky" type. Being a perfectionist, I can see myself sticking and unsticking the other type until I get it aligned just right, so having the ability to slide it around to get it in place before leaving it overnight sound very attractive.

Since I don't really need the back to be covered, I figure I can trim it to meet the dimensions of the easily scratchable Metal Slider Case screen so that it can be protected, too. Only question I have is: do the Best Skins make the front matte finish of the Z80 look like the glossy finish of the Z120, and if so, does it attract fingerprints? I am quite fond of the matte finish and would hate to lose it, though I guess I could either a) get over it, or b) trim the front protector as well so that it only covers the screen.

BTW, I also told my sister about Best Skins as she was looking for protectors for cell phones and DSi's. Already spreading the good word!

Thanks again!

N2Z

Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM

OK, so I finally installed the Zune software (4.2 instantly upgraded to 4.7) and plugged in the Z80 for the first time. Ripped a CD and synced it along with an Amazon dl, as well as sent up three Artist Series Z80 wallpapers. Turned on the Z80 and changed the wallpaper then went to Settings>Music to check out the EQ (as per this previous exchange)...
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm... don't see any EQ under Settings>Music, only Shuffle, Repeat, and Artists. I bet it is due to the firmware. It came with 2.5, and since I have not loaded the Zune app yet, it has not been updated. Was the EQ added in a FW update?
NOT THERE!!!

What happened? Did MS remove it? Am I looking in the wrong place? This is a big bummer, since ever since you mentioned it to me I have been stoked, waiting for the day to get this thing off the ground. Now I am all .

The games are there, so that is cool, but I really wanted the EQ. Any solutions out there?

TIA!

N2Z

Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
OK, so I finally installed the Zune software (4.2 instantly upgraded to 4.7) and plugged in the Z80 for the first time. Ripped a CD and synced it along with an Amazon dl, as well as sent up three Artist Series Z80 wallpapers. Turned on the Z80 and changed the wallpaper then went to Settings>Music to check out the EQ (as per this previous exchange)...

NOT THERE!!!

What happened? Did MS remove it? Am I looking in the wrong place? This is a big bummer, since ever since you mentioned it to me I have been stoked, waiting for the day to get this thing off the ground. Now I am all .

The games are there, so that is cool, but I really wanted the EQ. Any solutions out there?

TIA!

N2Z
I know my Zune software wants to upgrade, but everything is running perfectly fine and I am not planning on upgrading. I cannot find the software version, but believe it to be 4.2. In any event my Zune device is using firmware version 3.30. See the enclosed photo of my Z30 which shows the equalizer with set settings. It is also present on my Z80(120).

I wonder if the recent software version deleted the equalizer. Can anyone who upgraded the software (which upgrades the device firmware) confirm this?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I know my Zune software wants to upgrade, but everything is running perfectly fine and I am not planning on upgrading. I cannot find the software version, but believe it to be 4.2. In any event my Zune device is using firmware version 3.30. See the enclosed photo of my Z30 which shows the equalizer with set settings. It is also present on my Z80(120).

I wonder if the recent software version deleted the equalizer. Can anyone who upgraded the software (which upgrades the device firmware) confirm this?
OK, when you open your Zune software, click on Settings near the top right of the window. Then click on General (last link at bottom of list on left). Then click on the About Zune button under Information. My software is version 4.7.1404.0.

My Zune firmware version is also 3.30. It shows (39) right after (maybe the build number), and then Bootloader 1620 below. What does yours say for those two numbers?

Well, that is a bummer that the new software may have deleted the EQ. While I would have liked to have the EQ, in all honesty the sound is much better than I anticipated. In the car, I use the head unit EQ (I have been using the DLO Transdock that I picked up from Newegg for $3), so that is not a problem. With headphones the sound is very nice, though I must admit I am not using the stock buds that came with it. Those are saved in a drawer for the next airplane flight when I don't want to be using my nice cans while falling asleep in "public".

Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
OK, when you open your Zune software, click on Settings near the top right of the window. Then click on General (last link at bottom of list on left). Then click on the About Zune button under Information. My software is version 4.7.1404.0.

My Zune firmware version is also 3.30. It shows (39) right after (maybe the build number), and then Bootloader 1620 below. What does yours say for those two numbers?

Well, that is a bummer that the new software may have deleted the EQ. While I would have liked to have the EQ, in all honesty the sound is much better than I anticipated. In the car, I use the head unit EQ (I have been using the DLO Transdock that I picked up from Newegg for $3), so that is not a problem. With headphones the sound is very nice, though I must admit I am not using the stock buds that came with it. Those are saved in a drawer for the next airplane flight when I don't want to be using my nice cans while falling asleep in "public".
Last night I checked my Z80(120) and saw there was no equalizer .
Seems it was deleted on a recent update. I am curious to know why. See the enclosed photos:

I'll have to do some research as I am interested to know why it was removed. Bummer!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Last night I checked my Z80(120) and saw there was no equalizer .
Seems it was deleted on a recent update. I am curious to know why. See the enclosed photos:

I'll have to do some research as I am interested to know why it was removed. Bummer!
Any new info on the EQ? I did a search, and all I could really come up with was this: Petition for Zune Equalizer. It's really not much of anything, other than somebody else also noticing that the EQ has disappeared.

Is there a way to roll back to an earlier version? That was kind of the gyst of this thread to begin with, thinking that App 2.5 was what I wanted. Now I am guessing it is App 4.2, of which I have the install file for (since that was what I installed and then it auto-updated itself to 4.7). I am guessing, though, that rolling back would involve doing the master reset on the Zune, uninstalling App 4.7 from my computer, and then reinstalling 4.2, or whatever version you had been running before when you had the EQ, and somehow preventing the App from auto-updating (turning off my router would be a good start , but I would need to find the setting so I wouldn't have to be offline everytime I would want to use the Zune App). Then reloading all of the music back onto the Zune. I guess that wouldn't be all that bad, esp. if I could hear how this apparent "software" EQ that you have been enjoying on the Z80 would make the music sound.

As I mentioned, I have been enjoying the sound that I have been getting while using headphones, much more than my old Sony NW Walkman when turning off the EQ. But a little extra oomph in the bass dept wouldn't hurt!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:

NOT THERE!!!

TIA!

N2Z
I also would like to get the EQ back onto my Z80(120)GB. I think it would be a lot of work to do and even then might not be a guarantee. I am thinking this would the reset and installation of an old firmware and then upgrade it the most recent firmware that still have the EQ. Finding those two might be hard. If only someone could successfully reverse engineer the code we all could be saved. Seeing the Zune 30/80/120 are years old and no one has been able to do it is a shame. Ironically, M$ did something right.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM

From what I have been able to research the Zune 30GB is the only model that has the equalizer. The first generation Zunes were built with hardware components, whereas the proceeding generation models (4/8/80/120) were built around firmware. (Ref wiki firmware for tech info on firmware vs hardware).

Another response was saving battery life (per CNET).

In any event, it is a shame.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
From what I have been able to research the Zune 30GB is the only model that has the equalizer. The first generation Zunes were built with hardware components, whereas the proceeding generation models (4/8/80/120) were built around firmware.
Hmmm... ok. That much I knew before. The only way the Z80 would have an EQ would be if it was a software one and added later. The hardware components were removed so that the corresponding battery life could be shifted to the wireless capability, which MS believed was going to be Sierra Hotel and everyone was going to want to use it. As for me, I explicitly turn it off to save battery life, but would have the EQ on at all times regardless of the drain. It is really too bad that MS didn't let us decide how to manage our batteries. I guess they were expecting a ton of complaints and just did not want to deal. Oh, well...

So, perhaps you were mistaken about seeing an EQ on your 80 previously...?

Tags
2.5, application, zune 80